Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I personally carry from the time I get dressed in the morning until I strip down at night. This means that I also carry while in my home. I have a baby girl so (to keep her from getting ahold of it) my pistol never leaves the holster until I swap to the extended mag and lock it in my Fort Knox Fast Access Pistol Vault (review upcoming) at night. Granted I dont always carry my EDC XDM - I often opt for my .357 mag snubby when I am hanging out at home.

I do have a downstairs pistol vault as well but I carry at home because I have seen the results of home invasions. In most robberies or home invasions time is a luxury the homeowners do not have. It only takes seconds to kick in most doors. If you really want to protect your family and not leave them behind while you run to grab a gun, that doesnt leave a lot of options.

Before I got into real estate I worked as a military contractor in some of the worst places imaginable. So, I am tactically proficient and I personally would rather spend the precious seconds that most use running for their guns making sure my daughter and wife are protected. I can, in seconds, provide defense as the family retreats to cover in a safer part of the home (locks in, retrieves another weapon, calls 911, etc.).

I dont feel that I am paranoid, simply prepared. But, I do admit that I maintain a high state of readiness some might even call it hypervigilance. I dont live my life in fear, I simply put the measures in place to be prepared if bad things happen. Then I go about living my life confident in the fact that I am as prepared as I can be. That being said I find myself wondering who else among my EDC brothers carries in the home.

Home invasion is probably one of the biggest threats most of us could encounter. When we are in public we are usually armed and (hopefully) always aware. But when we are at home the BGs have some advantages like the element of surprise as we are lounging around eating dinner, playing with our kids, watching tv, etc.

In my family, my wife (shes a good woman so she plays along :grin:) and I have discussed and rehearsed various action plans in the event of a break in or HI. Also, I have other security measures in place - dogs (pets not attack dogs lol), security system, barricade bars on the doors at night once we lock the home down and some other things...

So I ask the community in general:
Do you carry at home? What do you carry? If you dont carry what is your plan in the event of a home invasion or the need to access your weapon? What other security measures do you have in place?

Reactions: Miguelito

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean there are people who dont? :-D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sheep.jpg

Haters gonna hate. Got anything constructive to add to the conversation?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well... I don't sleep fully clothed... or standing up with my eyes open... but I DO carry pretty much 24/7. Only times I'm not carrying (with a few obvious exceptions like the post office or court) are in the shower (there's still one within arms reach), and when I'm sleeping (again... within arms reach).

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
at my house, if they get by the punji sticks they still have the crocodile infested moat to deal with.

But seriously, not so much. Shortly after I come in I generally unholster my pistol and keep it close by. My wife generally has her pistol in close proximity and I there is a log gun or two in a few easy to access places.

Reactions: ARMED1

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Mines usually on the counter or on the coffee table when I'm home. Then again I don't have kids so that will change when I do. I don't carry when I'm at home. My doors stay locked at all times...I'm comfortable knowing that if someone can bust down my deadbolted door and smoke me before I have a chance to walk the three feet to my gun, it was my time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines usually on the counter or on the coffee table when I'm home. Then again I don't have kids so that will change when I do. I don't carry when I'm at home. My doors stay locked at all times...I'm comfortable knowing that if someone can bust down my deadbolted door and smoke me before I have a chance to walk the three feet to my gun, it was my time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said brother!

Reactions: drs1321

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
at my house, if they get by the punji sticks they still have the crocodile infested moat to deal with.

But seriously, not so much. Shortly after I come in I generally unholster my pistol and keep it close by. My wife generally has her pistol in close proximity and I there is a log gun or two in a few easy to access places.
Crocodiles are nice, but won't last the winter up here.

That's why I use cloned saber-toothed tigers.

I also rather like that we're heading into cooler months; normally, I'll be wearing a zippered fleece or flying the flannel at home; it covers a shoulder holster nicely...

·
Premium Member
17,722 Posts
I don't carry at home consistently, which is me taking chances on when things will go bad. I have guns locked up in a few different places in the house so that I don't have to worry about being on the wrong floor or wrong end of the house. I've got a lot of tactical locations for my guns (e.g., dead spaces in my kitchen cabs) but prefer to keep them locked up if not on my body.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prior to the little one I also had the hideout pieces, the gun sitting on the end table, AR15 easily available etc. I just couldnt live with myself if the little one got a hold of a weapon and the worst happened. That is why I changed it up and just carry now that she is here.

·
Banned
20,997 Posts
If I'm out on in the screen room....I'm armed.... In the house.... If not armed....close proximity.... When I was fortunate enough to have had a couple pocket guns.....one was always in my pocket....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I can't carry at work, but it is in my truck and goes on my belt as soon as I get off work. I carry concealed a very high percentage of the time and continue to do so until I go to bed. I have a two shelf gun safe that is within arm's reach from my bed. I recently acquired this safe since my Both my EDC pistols fit in this safe. They stay +1 and Holstered inside the safe. At night I shut the door, but do not lock it. Both of my doors have deadbolts on them, so that should give me a precious few seconds of warning.

As a matter of fact, I just walked in from church and set down in the recliner to rock my baby girl as she is sleeping. I preached tonight and my XDsc is riding on my suit coat on my belt. Yes, this sheepdog minister carries to church and stays armed at home as well.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I work for the state, so I cannot carry at work, but I carry at home pretty much at all times and to and from work. My wife and daughter, who is the mother of my 3 year old granddaughter, wonder why I have to carry at home, and I told them that it was the safest place for the gun, as I am in total control of it. They said it made them feel "uncomfortable", and I have compromised by keeping it concealed most of the time. My granddaughter has seen my guns, and has asked about them. She is a pretty sharp 3 year old, and knows not to touch them unless Grandpa is there and says it is okay. I don't trust her fully, but she has not been tested and I don't intend to. I do intend to let her see and touch them so they are not "forbidden fruit". We live in a rural area, and "help" is many minutes away if the call is made, so we had better be able to take care of things for a while if it comes to that. Like others have stated, we have talked about a plan, which includes retreating to a defensible portion of the house.

·
Banned
20,997 Posts
When the grandbabies are visiting I can fit a NAA 22 mag in their diaper...... Got it covered

1 - 20 of 74 Posts