Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to what gun you carry and what load, vs what is your practice loads. What is your favorite powder bullet combination and why you like it, or why you don't like a particular powder. I use a lot of unique because it's cheap, but clean up takes a while.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an XD9 Service model

I use Hornady HP XTP 115 grain and Speer GDHP 115 grain for personal protection/ home use. I have used both brands repeatedly without any problem.

For range practice, I use Sellier & Bellot FMJ 115 grain and PMC Bronze FMJ 115 grain. Im not too worried about how dirty my gun gets after each range practice since I clean it regularly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have an XD9 Service model

I use Hornady HP XTP 115 grain and Speer GDHP 115 grain for personal protection/ home use. I have used both brands repeatedly without any problem.

For range practice, I use Sellier & Bellot FMJ 115 grain and PMC Bronze FMJ 115 grain. Im not too worried about how dirty my gun gets after each range practice since I clean it regularly.
Same here but i have a xd9sc and at the range i use federal fmj 115 and cci blazer fmj 115

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
For practice, whatever you can get that's cheap.

For carry, read this:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Find the caliber you're interested in, choose one of the loads listed (they are listed in no particular order, and you'll find that some are consdirably more expensive than others). Buy a couple of boxes, put several magazines of it (using, at bare minimum, one entire magazine loaded to full capacity from each mag you plan to carry/use for SD purposes) through it to see if, first and foremost, it's 100% reliable in your pistol in your hands, and then if it shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control in rapid fire. If it works, stock up; you've found your carry load. If it doesn't, choose another round listed and repeat.

Beyond that--what works in my pistol in my hands may not work in your pistol in your hands; actual experience beats what anonymous folks on the interwebz say any day.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I carry an XD9SC daily and load with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP. Any of your top self defense ammo will do the job. Check the ballistics tests and make your choice. Everyone has their favorite round. Be sure to run a couple hundred of whatever you decide to carry through your gun to ensure reliability.

For range use, I get whatever's cheapest at Wal-Mart or buy factory reloads at the range. I also reload with 115 gr. FMJ and Bullseye. 115 gr. bullets seem to be easier to find locally than 124 gr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts