Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XDS 45 and Iam looking for carry ammo. Should I use 230 grain(slow) or drop down to 185(fast)?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
What caliber?

Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots are a good bet in any grain. Especially the HST.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
In what caliber?

And, for what it's worth, you can find several different discussions of this very question in several different areas of this forum...try the search function.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
both will get the job done in 45 acp.

I use pdx1. they expand nice and big. bonded whatever you decide to use. my .02$

·
Registered
804 Posts
"What caliber"? In 230gr or 185gr? Unless the OP was edited. :p

I prefer 230gr. While I love my Gold Dots or HST, I'm a little less picky in 45. Also, Cuda is correct. This has been discussed ad nauseam. A quick search will keep you reading for quite awhile.

Welcome, btw!

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
"What caliber"? In 230gr or 185gr? Unless the OP was edited. :p

I prefer 230gr. While I love my Gold Dots or HST, I'm a little less picky in 45. Also, Cuda is correct. This has been discussed ad nauseam. A quick search will keep you reading for quite awhile.

Welcome, btw!
He edited.

And the answer to the question is 230gr.

(Drops mic)

·
Registered
106 Posts
No matter what you decide for carry, make sure to shoot several boxes of it first to be sure it will perform flawlessly. We can all say this or that, but if your gun will not cycle it properly you may be better off throwing rocks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Accuracy, not caliber, nor grains nor barrel length is the correct answer.
The equipment used is a important variable in a self defense weapon. Terminal ballistics is a vital component of stopping power along with accuracy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not if you miss. :)
Look into the 1986 Miami shootout, FBI agents hit 2 violent bank robbers multiple times (Platt hit TWELVE times) with 38 spec, 9mm, .357 and 12 gauge. The perps didn't die until they had killed 2 agents & wounded 5. Yeah right - ballistics/stopping power don't matter. Led to FBI adoption of 10mm & .40.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I use 200grn and 230grn gold dots. Always worked good in my gun. Never saw the need to try out the 185s. I like/prefer the slow n heavy. If I wanted light and zippy id carry a 40cal/357sig.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I too prefer 230gr for the .45

Standard pressure, none of that +p nonsense, it's just more noise for a little gain.

PDX1, HST, Gold Dot, XTP, they're all great performers, pick one that runs reliably and shoots good groups in your gun.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Not if you miss. :)
Look into the 1986 Miami shootout, FBI agents hit 2 violent bank robbers multiple times (Platt hit TWELVE times) with 38 spec, 9mm, .357 and 12 gauge. The perps didn't die until they had killed 2 agents & wounded 5. Yeah right - ballistics/stopping power don't matter. Led to FBI adoption of 10mm & .40.
And add to that--one of the shots on Platt was pretty much perfect, given the shot the agent had--ended up in the chest, but the 115gr Silvertip stopped 1" short of the heart.

He continued on to kill agents Grogan and Dove.

Shot placement is king, yes--but penetration is queen. Expansion is the ace in the hole...

·
Registered
125 Posts
And add to that--one of the shots on Platt was pretty much perfect, given the shot the agent had--ended up in the chest, but the 115gr Silvertip stopped 1" short of the heart.

He continued on to kill agents Grogan and Dove.

Shot placement is king, yes--but penetration is queen. Expansion is the ace in the hole...
Absolutely -penetration/expansion fall into the terminal ballistics category which topgun strangely does not seem to think matters.
And that shot on Platt actually was not perfect:

"As Platt climbed out of the passenger side car window, one of Dove's 9 mm rounds hit his right upper arm and went on to penetrate his chest, stopping an inch away from his heart."

Which to me says 2 things - in a firefight, the unexpected will happen, perfect accuracy will likely not happen, so make sense to carry the most effective gun/ammo I can. And I will venture a guess - if Dove had a .40/.45/.357 Sig bet the results of that shot would have been different.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Absolutely -penetration/expansion fall into the terminal ballistics category which topgun strangely does not seem to think matters.
And that shot on Platt actually was not perfect:

"As Platt climbed out of the passenger side car window, one of Dove's 9 mm rounds hit his right upper arm and went on to penetrate his chest, stopping an inch away from his heart."

Which to me says 2 things - in a firefight, the unexpected will happen, perfect accuracy will likely not happen, so make sense to carry the most effective gun/ammo I can. And I will venture a guess - if Dove had a .40/.45/.357 Sig bet the results of that shot would have been different.
If Dove was firing ball, the results would have been different. Or if he'd been shooting a 147gr Silvertip or HydraShok, the results would have been different.

That was not a caliber failure--it was a bullet failure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts