Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be traveling down the coast in a few weeks , Outer BanksZ(NAgs Head, Kitty HAwk), and on down to Mryle Beach.

Just wonderin about any things i should know about the carry laws.

I believe that in North Carolina, i have to inform LE that i am carrying.

WHat's best way for storage in vehicle and are there any local laws in these areas that trump state laws?

THanks for any advice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not sure on the specific area, I am in NC, it's just western NC, but yes, you have to inform LEO's asap about carrying concealed, and it's a good idea to tell them what it is and where when telling them (imo) In cars, open carry is permitted, it must be in plain view, though if not on you. For storage, I believe locked in a box, locked in the trunk.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In SC you must inform LEO that you are carrying. If you are carrying in a vehicle it must be out of sight. If it is not on you then it must be locked in the glove box, console or trunk. It also can't be under the seat.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
In SC you must inform LEO that you are carrying. If you are carrying in a vehicle it must be out of sight. If it is not on you then it must be locked in the glove box, console or trunk. It also can't be under the seat.
Close. You must inform and also show your permit which must be carried with you when you are armed. If the gun is not on your person, it must be kept in an attached compartment, like a glove box or console. It does not have to be locked. The easiest way is, if you have a CWP, carry it on your person. In NC, the gun must be in plain sight, like on the dash or seat beside you. You also have a duty to inform in NC.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Good question OP I'll be vacationing in SC too as well as driving through NC.

So let me get this straight, if you are pulled over in NC or SC the first thing you do is show your permit along with drivers license and inform where the gun is at (ex: in holster on hip)?

If I am driving for a few hours through NC I don't want my gun IWB the entire time. Can I keep it in the center console and still be legal even though my wife doesn't have a concealed permit?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
So let me get this straight, if you are pulled over in NC or SC the first thing you do is show your permit along with drivers license and inform where the gun is at (ex: in holster on hip)?
Right. "Officer, here is my concealed weapon permit and I am armed/carrying." Don't say "weapon" or "gun". LEOS sometimes react negatively to those words.

If I am driving for a few hours through NC I don't want my gun IWB the entire time. Can I keep it in the center console and still be legal even though my wife doesn't have a concealed permit?
No. In NC, if the gun isn't on your person with a valid CWP, it must be clearly visible, usually either on the dash or on the console or seat beside you. Keep in mind that NC, but NOT SC, has open carry. Plainly visible on your person.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If I am carrying concealed, and get pulled, I usually don't move when pulled (this is in NC) and the first words out of my mouth are "Good day officer, I first need to inform you that I am licensed by the state to carry a concealed firearm, which I am, it is a (and tell them what it is and where) and my carry permit, along with my license is inside my wallet. Would you like me to slowly remove it, or would you like me to exit the vehicle, and you may remove it???????" Or if it is in the console, i'll move it to the dash, or seat and say "Good day officer, please note there is a handgun on the dash/seat which I also have a CC permit for as well. Would you like to remove the weapon from the car, or me from the car so that you may proceed in checking everything you need to" Or something along those lines, but I do feel lucky as in I've never gotten a ticket since getting my CC permit, woo hoo! LEO's like respect, and they like it when treated with it, and will likely do the same in return.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
Right. "Officer, here is my concealed weapon permit and I am armed/carrying." Don't say "weapon" or "gun". LEOS sometimes react negatively to those words.

No. In NC, if the gun isn't on your person with a valid CWP, it must be clearly visible, usually either on the dash or on the console or seat beside you. Keep in mind that NC, but NOT SC, has open carry. Plainly visible on your person.
Damn that sucks, guess I'll drive a few hours with it IWB. Don't really want to have a 40 cal with one in the chamber sitting on top of the center console with 2 kids in the backseat and wife beside me. Wouldn't want that thing flying around or out of site god forbid if there was ever an auto accident.

NC needs to get with the times and update their laws. I skimmed through them a few months ago and couldn't believe how out of touch they are especially for being a southern state versus, MD,NJ, NY and MA.

Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the respones guys. I looked up the laws on websites, but it's always nice for knowledge from locals. Here in VA. we don't have to inform officers about conceal carry, but all the state troopers i know would rather be told that a person is carrying than to discover it on their own, makes them feel that your hifing something.

New question, as a passenger in a vehicle are you require to infrom a officer if the car your riding in is pulled over. Just asking , because most LE officers ( in my experience) don't want any comm. from passengers unless they are asking the questions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Close. You must inform and also show your permit which must be carried with you when you are armed. If the gun is not on your person, it must be kept in an attached compartment, like a glove box or console. It does not have to be locked. The easiest way is, if you have a CWP, carry it on your person. In NC, the gun must be in plain sight, like on the dash or seat beside you. You also have a duty to inform in NC.
You're right, I didn't realize I said locked.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good question OP I'll be vacationing in SC too as well as driving through NC.

I wore mine concealed from North Carolina to Texas 12 hours the first day of driving and about 10 the next. It wasn't bad I did add an undershirt for the trip.
A good holster, belt and comfortable clothing will make all the difference in the world for long hours.
My holster was the MTAC. Belt was wilderness instructors 5 stitch (easy to loosen and tighten while sitting for added comfort) and cargo shorts with t shirts.
I do have a couple of leather belts but specifically bought the wilderness for trips like these and recreation. These, for me at least, are the two places they truly outshine a leather belt.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
New question, as a passenger in a vehicle are you require to infrom a officer if the car your riding in is pulled over. Just asking , because most LE officers ( in my experience) don't want any comm. from passengers unless they are asking the questions?
In SC, if you are approached and asked for ID, you must inform. Otherwise don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts