Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past it has never been an issue for me as I only carried 1 pistol and well, I only had one pistol for concealed carry. Recenty I've added a tcp 738 to my tool box for those days when it was difficult to dress around the XDsc9. I didn't want to just pull it out of the safe on the rare occasion that the sun came out on the Oregon coast, so I started to carry it in a pocket holster in the inside pocket of my vest with the 9mm on my hip.
The other day I was talking to a friend who also carries and he claims that the Oregon permit allows the carry of only one pistol at a time. I intend to do some more research, but thought this might be a good topic of discussion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the response I got from Oregon Firearms Federation this morning:

> In a recent conversation, it was debated that the Oregon CHL only allows a person to carry 1 handgun at a time. In other words, the Oregon CHL does not allow for the carry of a backup handgun. Is this correct?
>
> Thank you, KB

This is not correct. You can carry as many of whatever you like as you like.

Kevin S.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i think that only makes sense. if you were surprised or over powered and lost control of your main cc, then you have your back-up piece to fall back on.

from Arizona

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, but as we all know, not all gun laws make sense and I've never had any luck thowing the "I didn't know" card.

I wrote back to the Oregon Firearms Federation and asked if there was a spacific statute that addressed this issue. I was told that there is no statute that says you can, but there is also no statute that says you can't.

Anyway, the TCP is back in it's cozy little inside pocket :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's something I have wondered about here in Washington. I don't have two guns to carry, unless I find a way to conceal a 7.5" Super Blackhawk and my XD40. I also can't figure out why I would need to guns anyway. I am curious about it however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have carry licenses for OR and WA, and have been carrying daily for eight years. It is legal in these two states to carry multiple guns. What you might have to worry about are the laws about carrying knives, since Oregon issues a handgun license, and Washington is a pistol license, unlike Florida which has a much more inclusive weapons license.
Just as a side note, with legal questions that could earn you felonies if you get bad information, always seek advice from people qualified to give it. OFF is a great place to start, but I wouldn't stop there, or here. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Why would Oregon make such a stupid law, "You can carry 1 gun but not 2?" How about Magazines, is there a limit on those as well. If you have a gun malfunction you can't grab your back up to protect yourself?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The sheriff over in central oregon says its ok to carry as many as you can hold

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's something I have wondered about here in Washington. I don't have two guns to carry, unless I find a way to conceal a 7.5" Super Blackhawk and my XD40. I also can't figure out why I would need to guns anyway. I am curious about it however.

I think his name is Clint Smith on personal defense, says "1 is none,2 is 1, and 3 is probably better"

The reality of me actually needing one gun here in this little coastal town were everybody knows, everybody is pretty slim.The reality of me needing 2 guns is even slimmer, but that's not the point.I have a wife a son and 5 daughters who count on me as a last line of defense.

·
Registered
339 Posts
More power to you if you are going to carry two guns. I just dont want to burden myself with carrying two everyday. I just do not see what I'm going to run into that requires more than 25 rounds of .40 JHP.

I'm guessing you are going to carry a pocket pistol of some sort? Something like an LCP would not be too much of a burden I guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The TCP738 that I mentioned in my original post carries very nice in a pocket holster and only weighs about 10 oz. I have to be honest, I don't carry 2 every day, but I have a vest and a coat that I can drop it in the inside pocket so easily, theres really no reason not to.Besides I don't want the tcp to only come out when I can't cover one of my xd's, I want to stay familiar with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts