1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
So, a few months back Palmetto had a special on their "premium" non logo BCG's. I've always preferred a milspec bolt and 2 for 160 bucks or whatever it was sounded good. They arrive packaged well but bone dry. One I lube up and throw into my latest build and the other was a spare. To the range I go and no issues for the first few hundred rounds except extraction is a bit off and every few rounds has a primer popping out.

Take it back to the range a few weeks later and I'm having similar issues. When I get home I pull the carrier and 2 gas rings are sheared off. Less than 600 rounds. Replace the rings and back to the range a few weeks later. Run another 400 rounds through it and when I get home the new set of rings are shot. On my 3rd set of rings in less than 1000 rounds. I'm guessing the primers blowing out is due to the bolt unlocking too fast. I check the unused carrier I have and when standing it up on the bolt face it will not stay extended. Makes me think there's a tolerance issue that's causing the bolt to unlock before pressures stabilize and that's what's blowing the primers out (I've only shot factory ammo at this point) so I send PSA an email.

I explain the issues I'm having and the issue with the new carrier and 6 days later I get a response explaining how carriers are consumables and basically I'm on my own.

I get that running an SBR with a short gas system can be violent on the bolt but these have been used exclusively in 16" mid-length systems. I don't know if I just got a bad batch of carriers but seeing as I can't really trust these I decided to upgrade.

In hindsight since I was using a BCM barrel and upper I should've just gone with their carrier to begin with. I settled on their Ion Bond FDE carrier. It comes with the upgraded extractor and I know if I do have an issue BCM will stand behind it. The machining on the BCM is leaps and bounds better looking than the others (at twice the price it probably should)

It cycles nice and smooth and any extraction issues and primer blow outs are non existent. I'll need to run a thousand or so rounds through it before I can say for certain it's a winner but so far so good.

Reactions: DevJames and Alter1

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG_0452.JPG

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
BCM makes good stuff.

·
Registered
11,812 Posts
BCM makes good stuff.
I agree.

You get what you pay for. Especially, now days.

When I was younger, I would buy the cheapest version of what I wanted. Most of the time, only to find out it was inferior to what it was I really wanted. So I learned that it costs no more to do it right the first time. Buy once cry once.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I agree.

You get what you pay for. Especially, now days.

When I was younger, I would buy the cheapest version of what I wanted. Most of the time, only to find out it was inferior to what it was I really wanted. So I learned that it costs no more to do it right the first time. Buy once cry once.
That isn't always the case. The source of parts is sometimes the issue. Wait till you get a 'premium' CHF barrel made by FN that won't group less then 3 MOA and has a really tight chamber and feeding issues when it gets hot. Some of the stuff that gets sold are rejects from FN. Usually they work good, sometimes they don't. Ajames jumped all over me about trash talking PSA once, but I wasn't the only one that had issues with them in the past. People scoff at me because I run Tool Craft and Anderson BCGs. i have yet to have any issues. They both supply government parts and have been doing it for a long time. These are the same folks that turn their nose up at bolts that haven't been or aren't stamped HPI/MP tested. That really doesn't hold much water since that testing only gives the condition of that part at the exact time when it was tested and cannot determine it's performance or life span. Just something to think about. Spend the money where it counts, barrels and BCGs with PROVEN track records, not a bunch of stamps, testings, and upscale names. PSA offers too many names for their products for me. And yes I still buy from them sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Did you determine exact head space before firing? Did you dye up the lugs and check for lug engagement? Did you check firing pin extrusion? What is the barrel mileage?

Again, respectfully, it is what you do not know you do not know that can cause problems. I hope the manufacture makes things right for you with returns. Respectfully.

hundreds of precision builds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts