Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Backstory

Some of you may remember that just recently I purchased a C-TAC, and shortly after sent it back and ordered "The Answer". Well, it isn't supposed to ship until next week at the earliest (apparently Rob has been very popular lately). Well, this last weekend rolled around, and I was left without a holster.

When I first got my Subby, but before I got the C-TAC, I used a small, zippered CD case to carry the gun in. Discreet, convenient, and I was only going to my friends' houses with it anyway. But now that I'm carrying it daily on the weekends, that wasn't a good enough option.

In Georgia, it's illegal to carry Mexican, and I wouldn't anyway (although it's by far the most comfortable carry method I've tried to date). So I turned on the old brain, and tried to see what I came up with. And here it is: BEHOLD!

The Details

I started by simply tracing and cutting out the shape of the gun (doubled, so I could fold it over). Then I started taping it up around the gun. Also, by accident, the holster happened to be just long enough (by about 1/4") for the front sight to not go past the front of the holster (a potential draw snag). The part underneath the dust guard also hits the trigger guard and keeps the gun from moving forward, as can be seen in these pics:

You can see that the holster doesn't fit the gun "like a glove", but that's because it isn't a glove. It's some folded up cardboard.

The clip gave me pause for a moment. To make from duct tape? But how? Then it hit me. I've got gobs of computer components laying all over the place in my room. So I simply grab one of those expansion slot covers that come on the back of computer cases, plier is into shape, and tape it on.

Let me say now that this holster is VERY comfortable. I have no problems with the slide digging into my side, and it takes up almost no pant room:

How well does it conceal? Well, about as well as a gun stuffed IWB Mexican style would. Here are a few pics of that (probably not too demonstrative, but worth including):

The Bad Side:

While the holster is comfortable, and on draw, it's very secure (I have a hard time getting the clip over my belt when taking it off), the setup has a tendency to...slide. I was over at my friend's house and I was wearing the setup. I laid down on my left side, and *shoomp*, the gun/holster slides all the way to my backbone, stopped by the back beltloop on my pants. Not a huge deal though. When you're standing up or sitting (like a normal person and not rolling in the floor), the gun doesn't go anywhere.

Oh yeah; after a while of carrying it, sitting on it, leaning on it, etc., the sticky stuff from the duct tape gets on the gun. I'm here to say, the adhesive won't hurt your finish, but all that fuzzy stuff from your clothing will stick to it, and you'll have little patches of fuzz all over your gun. Nothing a little cleaner won't take care of though.

Final Verdict:

I have my questions as to its durability. I mean really, it's cardboard. And duct tape. But this is definitely a solution for anyone who either a), doesn't have a holster yet and needs something temporary, or b) has a holster ordered but it hasn't come in yet. I don't know that I'd trust it to wear while I was riding a MotoCross, or eXtreme Downhill Running of the Bulls, but for acting like a normal human being, doing normal, every day things, it does the job quite well.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
:roll: No gun shops in Gorgia every place around here atleast carrys uncle mikes usally if the hand gun counter isint stuffed with poeple I even got some one at gander mountian to come out with a display gun out of :wink: case to size it perfectlly have to admit would work in a pinch but you probly have a little to much time on you hands

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R/T Performance said:
:roll: No gun shops in Gorgia every place around here atleast carrys uncle mikes usally if the hand gun counter isint stuffed with poeple I even got some one at gander mountian to come out with a display gun out of :wink: case to size it perfectlly have to admit would work in a pinch but you probly have a little to much time on you hands
No gun shops that carry XD stuff; actually, there is one, but it's only the OWB and paddle, both not particularly useful for my purposes. Besides; why spend ~$20 on a holster that I'm going to replace in a week or so? That's a box of ammo and some.

And it's not so much a matter of having too much time on my hands as an inability to manage my time wisely :wink: .

·
Registered
342 Posts
can you imagine being stopped? "Officer, for your safety and mine I want to inform you that I"m a CCW holder and have a pistol on your right hip."

officer: "Ok, show me where it is before you reach for your wallet."

suddenly, officer cracks up! haha.

ingenius idea though... gave me a laugh.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Wow, I made one too when I first got my XD...

Its main components:

Denim from old shorts cut to shape.
Lots of hot glue covering the outside to mold it.
Zip ties holding the edges together.
And, just as you used, two PCI slot covers as belt loops!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I knew there had to be a use for all these pc slot overs laying around. That is VERY creative. I would suggest though that you file off that little piece that sticks out around the edge of the screw relief or you might tear your pants. :lol:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha! I knew I wasn't insane! If overkill did it, I must be on the right track.

And that's some good thinking there HighVelocity.

I am the greetest! (misspelling intentional)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think to go with your kustom holster, you need some kustom sights:

Though you might need to modify your creation...... :lol:

Seriously though, that's quite slick.

For cardboard and ducktape.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awwww...it's not Ghetto :( . It's creativity and improvisation. :) And it works.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Tengu said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you didn't have much cash left over after dropping $150 on that holster. :wink:
I'll have you know it was only $120 :D

Yeah, I'd rather buy a $120 holster once than a $50 holster 3 or 4 times. Get it right the first time, if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it really illegal to carry mexican in georgia? I live here too and I have never heard that. Is their a place I can go and find out about all these odd and end laws, that has text normal (non-lawyers) can understand?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
packingasubcompact said:
Is it really illegal to carry mexican in georgia? I live here too and I have never heard that.
Yes, it is illegal in Georgia. All firearms must be properly secured in a holster.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
mr0w1 said:
The Tengu said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you didn't have much cash left over after dropping $150 on that holster. :wink:
I'll have you know it was only $120 :D

Yeah, I'd rather buy a $120 holster once than a $50 holster 3 or 4 times. Get it right the first time, if you know what I mean...
Oh, okay. $120 then. :)

I almost bought one of those Answers, too. At the time I had credit at Gunner's Alley and tried a C-T.A.C. which worked out well for me.

But I never thought about ducktaping one together. How's the retention on the cardboard holster?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Tengu said:
How's the retention on the cardboard holster?
About what you'd expect carrying Mexican, but no worries of it slipping into your pants. The duct tape is grippy enough and the cardboard flattens out so that it grabs the gun well enough, but it'll come out fine when you want it to.

I suppose it'd fall out if someone grabbed me by my ankles and shook really hard though, but that rarely ever happens...

·
Registered
415 Posts
You should send something to the guy who writes the duct tape books. Maybe you'll be in his next one published. Nothing beats ******* chrome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts