Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new line of Caracal pistols is supposed to be coming out this summer. Yes, I know the Caracal C was recalled with no fix available. Reason being is that it could not handle hotter loads because its slide was made up of two pieces. The new slide will be made out of one solid piece. Before the recall, the Caracals were getting great reviews from the likes of the Military Arms Channel, MrGunsnGear, and Rob Pincus. The model I am particularly interested in is the Caracal CP662 it is .99”wide, has a height of 4.75”, a 3.4” barrel, and a 13 round magazine. I hope it’s not a POS like the Remington R51, because I’m excited about this gun! Below are some links of reviews of the original Caracals.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I like the design of the Caracal and in about 5 years I'll know if I want one or not.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Let all the other hordes be the next Beta testers.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It's unfortunate the Caracal pistols got off to a disastrous start and many people will not look at their guns. I bought both the F and C models with quick sights and which only the F survived the recall/buyback fiasco. In any event the F is an outstanding striker fired gun with a very nice trigger and egnomics. The low bore axis helps maintain good control of recoil and the quick sights are remarkably easy to use with accuracy.

IMO, the Caracal F beats a Glock 17 in performance, but the long-term reliability of the F is unknown so it won't be replacing my Glocks just yet. I'll be looking for the next generation of Caracal pistols and probably wait a bit before buying another one.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I almost bought one. Would have but i didn't like the sight choices. People who bought them raved about them before the recall.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Recalled with no repair?

Yeah, I'm gonna line up to buy one when they "fix" it (not).

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I see them and say "you know what, a Steyr M whatever they are now looks nice, I should get one if I ever see them again"

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Recalled with no repair?

Yeah, I'm gonna line up to buy one when they "fix" it (not).
Actually Caracal did not repair anything, they sent you a new gun or offered a buyback including accessories (i.e. holsters, mags). All the Compact guns were eventually recalled for a refund only, even the replacement guns.

Beyond the overriding objection of buying a potentially defective product, the company handled the recall/replacement very well. They sent you a shipping box with prepaid label. The new gun was returned with a extra mag and other promotional garb - discount coupon, decal, hat and tee. There was some delay for customs clearance of imported firearms replacements.

I kept my F model with the rear QS (quick sights) milled into the slide. I think the new models will not have this option and offer traditional sights. This photo is the QS on the C model. They look unusual but work well for self-defensive purposes.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Actually Caracal did not repair anything, they sent you a new gun or offered a buyback including accessories (i.e. holsters, mags). All the Compact guns were eventually recalled for a refund only, even the replacement guns.

Beyond the overriding objection of buying a potentially defective product, the company handled the recall/replacement very well. They sent you a shipping box with prepaid label. The new gun was returned with a extra mag and other promotional garb - discount coupon, decal, hat and tee. There was some delay for customs clearance of imported firearms replacements.

I kept my F model with the rear QS (quick sights) milled into the slide. I think the new models will not have this option and offer traditional sights. This photo is the QS on the C model. They look unusual but work well for self-defensive purposes.

Fair enough, my point was more a lack of confidence in the ability of the company to design and produce a quality product. It's good when a company handles a recall correctly but better when they don't have one.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Seems like they're not terribly expensive though.

Did they lose the trapezoid sights?
Sadly they still have the crazy sights or I would have one already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts