Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keep a gun specially for their vehicle? Thinking about carrying my XDm on me and keeping my Glock in the glove compartment. Anyone else do anything like this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wife's thunder380 usually stays in the car. Thinking about taking it out at night though. Been hearing about cars getting broke into near my area lately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I leave my carry gun in my car when I'm home. And I park in the garage, so I'm not too worried about someone stealing it. In the past I have kept I carbine in my vehicle at all times in a custom locked compartment. I haven't figured out a way to do this yet in my current car.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I'm looking at getting a console safe for my car for this purpose.
Before you do, think about how long it will take you to get into it. I dunno the laws in your state, but fortunately in SC, the gun does NOT have to be kept in a LOCKED compartment. If you want a safe to secure the gun from theft, you might be better off carrying it to and from the car when you drive.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I used to have a Bersa Thunder .45 as a "car gun." One window replacement later, I don't own a Bersa Thunder .45 anymore.... :(

I think it is better to have the gun on you than in the glove box anyway. Sometimes when I get in my car, I pull the XD from the Crossbreed and stick it between the seat and the console...makes a good car holster. When I get to where I am going, I just reholster and carry on.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I keep a 5 shot .38 in my car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I keep my XDM compact 9mm in a console vault in my vehicle. I have the choice of extended mags or compact mags when I get out. I keep an OWB kydex holster in there as well as an extra compact mag.

Works well for me.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
uhhh...I keep a Wasr in my trunk. It's in a case, magazine inserted, chamber empty, safety off. It's legal to do so in Indiana. I would not recommend it in places where it's illegal.

I always have a handgun on me, so I have no reason to leave one in the vehicle. If I'm needing to go back to my vehicle, then I expect I'll need more than just another handgun.

:)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My S&W Model 58 - 4inch .41mag. makes a great truck gun

·
Registered
100 Posts
I thought about keeping a gun in the car, but I carry a LCP. I have the nanovault 300 under my seat. It will be used for a full sized pistol when I travel. You should look into that if you decide to keep it in your car than for you to leave it in your glove box.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I carry a kel Tec sub2000. It lives under the back seat all the time.

Goes from this:

To this:

To this:

In just a few seconds. Gives me option of 33rounds of 9mm on semi auto with a carbine length barrel

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uhhh...I keep a Wasr in my trunk. It's in a case, magazine inserted, chamber empty, safety off. It's legal to do so in Indiana. I would not recommend it in places where it's illegal.

I always have a handgun on me, so I have no reason to leave one in the vehicle. If I'm needing to go back to my vehicle, then I expect I'll need more than just another handgun.

:)
Would it be legal to have it loaded in the passenger seat in Indiana?

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Would it be legal to have it loaded in the passenger seat in Indiana?
I have searched (I check to confirm every time someone asks) and found nothing prohibiting it. One tricky bit about IN law is that they treat handguns and long guns totally different, so there are a lot more laws about handguns and some people interpret them to apply to long guns as well.

I would recommend you do a search on your own rather than just believing "some guy" (me :D ) who makes a claim. That way when you have to answer an officer who is of the opinion that you should not carry a rifle loaded on the seat beside you, you can tell him, "thanks for your opinion officer, but I cannot find a state law prohibiting it.

You and I have been through Indiana law study on OCDO, haven't we? I think we ended up making the same conclusion on that one.

There is a portion in the offroad vehicle (4wheeler, snowmobile) laws that prohibited the carry of loaded firearms on those vehicles, but that has been changed to allow it with a handgun license. You may still find some reference to that law in your search, but it is found in IC 14-16-1-23, which is the section that applies only to offroad vehicles, not passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have searched (I check to confirm every time someone asks) and found nothing prohibiting it. One tricky bit about IN law is that they treat handguns and long guns totally different, so there are a lot more laws about handguns and some people interpret them to apply to long guns as well.

I would recommend you do a search on your own rather than just believing "some guy" (me :D ) who makes a claim. That way when you have to answer an officer who is of the opinion that you should not carry a rifle loaded on the seat beside you, you can tell him, "thanks for your opinion officer, but I cannot find a state law prohibiting it.

You and I have been through Indiana law study on OCDO, haven't we? I think we ended up making the same conclusion on that one.

There is a portion in the offroad vehicle (4wheeler, snowmobile) laws that prohibited the carry of loaded firearms on those vehicles, but that has been changed to allow it with a handgun license. You may still find some reference to that law in your search, but it is found in IC 14-16-1-23, which is the section that applies only to offroad vehicles, not passenger vehicles.
Yeah if you said it was illegal and provided a cite I would have looked it up to make sure you were correct. I don't plan on keeping a rifle in my vehicle just curious as to if it was legal or not.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I just got an SKS that I plan on keeping in my trunk. Too much crazy stuff has been happening recently, some of it near me. This country is not going good places in the near future, in my opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I travel, I take my carry gun, generally my XD9 subcompact, 1911, or 357 Mag, and place it between the shift lever and handbrake in front of the console in my Trailblazer. It is secure and handy if needed, and most of the states that I travel, legal. If we are going where it must be concealed, it goes in the glove box. both my wife and I have CCW's, so it isn't a problem who grabs it first.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Drcao secured by one of the cable locks provided with most new handguns to the underside of the passenger seat for me. Legally a handgun, but with a lot more potential. Anyone have a site about vehicle rifle storage for GA?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Keep an XD 45 in the truck with two extra mags in the glove box. Can switch it out in my crossbreed or the holster its in if I need too. I agree way to much crazy s*** happening not to have a back up. Am looking at getting a nano vault though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tough call, I would hate to have someone steal my weapon after breaking into my car. Would make me feel really sick knowing my gun is in the hands of a theif.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts