Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state of Ohio has finally relaxed their laws on the act of car carry leaving for more options regarding how and where in your vehicle you may carry (while being a Concealed license holder).

I was looking at the possibillity of using a Serpa holster mounted under the dash. I like the retention system for this as blindly reaching for the grip could have it's own set if issues so the one button release suits my needs. I'm not in love with any retention for a holster, but due to the possibillity of it getting loose in an accident I'd see retention as a requirment for me.

I was going to purchase one and see if I could rig it to the dash, but didn't want to bother if it didn't work with the XDM9 4.5" I want to use as the car gun.

I've seen mention of the gun fitting some type of Serpa model but I don't know what model. Something to do with Velcro used as padding/filler in the holster???

Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks to all who can steer me in the right direction...

Gap

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have seen people take and mount their xd/m holster to just under the steering wheel or by the center console via the tac rail but . i always shy away from the idea every time you get out of the car you have to try and re holster it without someone seeing you. I know most times there is no prob in doing so but im sure there might be 1 or 2 precarious moments. That said I just leave mine in its iwb at the 4 o clock , hardly even notice its there. I also believe that there is a thread some where here that shows a guy and mounting it to his console, I also believe "you tube" has numerous vids on doing so as well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm at work so I don't have the model nos with me. But I have 2 serpas and my XDm45 4.5 and my XD9sc both fit in either serpa. The muzzle sticks out or is hidden, depending on which combination. I have read about the velcro fix but I didn't feel it was neccessary. Someone did a pretty slick setup with a serpa and BH's modular setup. Try searching serpa and vehicle mount. Post pics if you get it set up.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Yoop, but my plan is to put it FAR under the dash (and more than likely positioned on it's side, "flush" against the lowest portion of the dash...maybe even in the space between the dash and the floorboard)to keep it out of sight. It will be a dedicated car gun with no transfering from holster to holster. Also, it's the retention of the Serpa that appeals to me. I had a look at using the XDGear Paddle holster that came with the package, but I didn't see it as filling my needs.

And Driver, I realize you'r at work and your time is limited, but if you remember to have a look at those model numbers for me sometime...I'd be forever grateful.

I'll take up the suggestions where I look deeper into google for some answers to my questions too...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driver...Perfect. The whole idea is there, I'll just need to modify my location of the mount. Now for a model # that fits my XDM9 4.5"...

Thanks. I'll try contacting Serpa directly and see if they can help me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A few days ago I "mounted" my XDM holster that came with the gun in my car, with velcro. Wasn't sure it would hold or come loose, but after a few days of testing it seems to hold good. I've purposely gone over speed bumps in ways that jarred the car around, and it hasn't even hinted that it might fall off. I put it on the left side of the center console, below my knee. It is slightly awkward sometimes when you're getting out of the car and have to reholster it. I've already had one time where I was about to grab it and put it back in my holster and had to wait a few seconds for someone to walk by my car before I grabbed it. I can see where it could cause an issue if I pull up to a 711 and someone happens to see me in my car grabbing a gun and putting it in my pants and then walking into a convenience store. I think when pulling into convenience stores from now on I'm not going to park in front of the door, maybe off to the side a little so people aren't walking by my car so much.

My gun in my IWB holster is comfortable when I'm in my car. I barely feel it, but I think that it makes me sit a little differently or causes my back muscles to be tense or something when leaning back against the gun. I do a decent amount of driving, going back and forth between St Pete and Orlando weekly (2 hours each way). A couple weeks ago when I got to Orlando I went straight to a poker game. I was wearing the gun in the car on the drive up there in my IWB, and when I got to the game I got a massage. She knows that I carry a gun, and mentioned that she could definitely tell that my lower back was a lot tighter around the gun than it normally is.

One thing I never really thought of was if I get pulled over while driving with it in that holster. I guess it's not considered concealed if it's in a holster in the open, even though no one looking into my car while I'm in the drivers seat could see it. An ex-cop ex-swat buddy of mine took a look at it and said to keep a hand towel in the car. He said that if I ever get pulled over to just grab the towel and throw it over the gun in the holster and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Sorry I don't have any good ideas; I keep my gun on my person in the car.

I do have a question though: Did Ohio get rid of the "loaded magazine in a car equals a concealed weapon" when they passed this law? That one bugs the heck out of me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry I don't have any good ideas; I keep my gun on my person in the car.

I do have a question though: Did Ohio get rid of the "loaded magazine in a car equals a concealed weapon" when they passed this law? That one bugs the heck out of me.
no. the amendments made to the statutes were only made in the sections relevant to lawful concealed carry by licensees. IIRC, the magazine/gun statute is in another portion of the law....

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts