Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
What kind of work? What about Powder River Precision? ;)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
how many rounds have you fired out of it? if you just bought it, i suggest taking it out and shooting the snot out of it. after a few hundred rounds the trigger will smooth out a bit.

just a suggestion.

cheers

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Agreed, it will break in but more than likely you'll still want something better. I know I did but everyone is different.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They both do excellent work. You will be pleased with either one.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
After you have broken the pistol in, your options are excellent with Springer, Canyon Creek or Powder River. All of their work is first-rate and their service is outstanding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The trigger will def. smooth out a bit after firing a few hundred rounds but in my opinion it isn't the smoothness or the weight of the trigger pull that is the issue. I found that the initial takeup before the break, and the reset of the trigger was way too far of a travel. I 100% can recomend at the very least getting a new sear from Springer and the springs that come with the Level 2 kit. But then again, it depends on what you plan on using your gun for. I didn't want the Level 3 because it was on my carry peice, and I don't need a hair trigger on something tucked down in my pants.

As everyone has said, you will be happy and impressed with all these companies and their products.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Okay, so not to hijack this thread, but what part is needed to reduce the reset and overtravel? Is that strictly the seer? I don't mind the weight of the pull, but definitely want a shorter reset on my XD9 service. Reducing the overtravel would be a nice side effect of a shorter reset if they are, in fact related.

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shoot a couple hundred rounds then figure out what you want, you may not need anything done depending on what your going to use the gun for.
SD,competion or general target practice. I have not needed any work on my .45 and I carry for SD.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
A sear will help with the initial take up and a trigger bar will help the reset. Correct me if I am wrong oh mighty XD gods.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Okay, so not to hijack this thread, but what part is needed to reduce the reset and overtravel? Is that strictly the seer? I don't mind the weight of the pull, but definitely want a shorter reset on my XD9 service. Reducing the overtravel would be a nice side effect of a shorter reset if they are, in fact related.

Thanks.
there are different approaches to changing the reset, pre and overtravels. Power River replaced the safety lever to fix the reset and has this plastic piece (overtravel stop) that restricts movement of the trigger bar to fix pre/overtravel. Springer Precision replaces the sear and trigger bar instead. Both to accomplish the same thing just in a different way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote: "Power River replaced the safety lever to fix the reset and has this plastic piece (overtravel stop) that restricts movement of the trigger bar to fix pre/overtravel. Springer Precision replaces the sear and trigger bar instead. Both to accomplish the same thing just in a different way."

Q: Is one way better than another as described above?

Q: Is the factory components that bad to be replaced with aftermarket sear and trigger bar?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Q: Is one way better than another as described above?

Q: Is the factory components that bad to be replaced with aftermarket sear and trigger bar?
I don't think so, there are hundreds of opinions an many prior posts on xdtalk. Many guys swear my Springer's work and products. I had luck with the PRP kit, and it was less cost, but I've called and spoken with Scott Springer and he's forgotten more about 45s than I'll probably ever know :). There's a thread on installing the PRP kit here.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/latest-hs2000-sa-xd-faq-stickies/72879-how-install-powder-river-precision-safety-lever-overtravel-stop.html

No, the factory components are not bad. Many guys want the gun with a shorter pre-travel and post travel than factory, that's all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
All three have good reputations. I'd say go with the one that is closest because the shipping will be less. I've had Canyon Creek work on all three of the three XDs I currently have but that is because Rich is just a couple hundred miles away.

Btw, don't forget Springfield because they also do excellent work.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You decide. Two of these came from places that modify the trigger bars and the other ones were stock. With heavy use, the trigger pins can work loose also.

You can just just reduce the pull distance and weight or you can upgrade your fire control system also, it just depends on what you want to do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
All three have good reputations. I'd say go with the one that is closest because the shipping will be less. I've had Canyon Creek work on all three of the three XDs I currently have but that is because Rich is just a couple hundred miles away.

Btw, don't forget Springfield because they also do excellent work.
Indeed. Don't forget that Springfield Armory will also do the work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts