Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to post another probably well-covered question, but like many people I cant leave well enough alone with anything (be it my car, technology, etc..)

I am wondering how noticeable the modifications offerred by Canyon Creek really are, and if they are worth the money they cost.

Here is a link to his XD modifications:
http://www.canyon-creek.com/xd.htm

I am buying my XD 9mm today and will obviously take it to the range a few times to decide what if anything I feel needs to be improved or changed, but I was hoping now as I patiently wait and research modificatons, you guys could give me some pointers.
How noticeable are the following?:

1)Frame to slide tightening (is it noticeably loose to begin with?)
2)Slide Lightening internal (is this more for a competiton XD?)
3)Slide Lightening external (also for a competiton XD, where every ounce counts?)
4)Tungsten Insert Guide Rod (what function does this perform..how is it better than the stock guide rod?)
5)Polish Feed Ramp (does this just smooth the engagement of the round into the chamber?)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1)Frame to slide tightening (is it noticeably loose to begin with?)

I've not found a "loose" XD yet

2)Slide Lightening internal (is this more for a competiton XD?)

Yes

3)Slide Lightening external (also for a competiton XD, where every ounce counts?)

Yes

4)Tungsten Insert Guide Rod (what function does this perform..how is it better than the stock guide rod?)

Just adds weight to the front of the pistol. Not worth the cost in my opinion if you're not using a 5" model.

5)Polish Feed Ramp (does this just smooth the engagement of the round into the chamber?)

Yeah, takes out any burrs or issues on the feed ramp

---

The most noticeable item Rich can do to your gun is a trigger job. If you've never shot something with a 2lb trigger, I suggest you get the 4lb job instead. I actually like it better. Its a lot easier to have an accidental discharge if you don't keep your finger completely off of the trigger...especially when shooting on the move.

The trigger job is worth EVERY PENNY. The other things are just candy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the response.

Another question for you: With a trigger job by Canyon Creek is the trigger automatically "smoothed" as well as lightened or is the smoothing not included in a trigger job?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Many feel that the XD stock trigger is good. This is a true statement when compared to the trigger of other guns on the market. Once you get a CC trigger job, you will laugh out load at how much better the trigger is. It's like ride around town on a bike that is stuck in 10th gear. After months of riding, you realize there are other gears. After you switch to a lower gear, you laugh and say to yourself, "Wow! That is much better. Smoothers, faster, and more fun. Why didn't I do this sooner."

OS

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
all of CCs work is good, i have handled several guns with his work and its high quality, However....

i would suggest that since this will be your first handgun, to hold off on all the mods and learn to shoot properly stock.

save the money your going to spend on mods and spend it on some good training. you will get more for your money spending it on training than you will spending it on a bunch of "mods" you dont know how to use properly and therefore cant enjoy as much.

but all in all, its your money, you do what you want. i just want to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
therooster said:
but all in all, its your money, you do what you want. i just want to point you in the right direction.
I think thats definitely a wise recommendation. I plan to shoot as much as possible, and I will also be taking a course in order to qualify for a Virginia CCW. (this probably wasnt what you meant though)

It actually would be a waste of money to buy the gun and right away modify it, as I wouldnt have much to compare the modified version to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 on the Canyon Creek trigger job. I couldn't believe the diffierence it made. FedEx it to Rich on Monday and it will be back in your hands on Friday. However, I recommend you put at least 500 round through your XD before sending it off to Rich.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand those mods might be a bit unnecessary for the beginning shooter, but how about someone who's been shooting his XD for a while and competed some but is looking to get into it further? From what I've gathered the Tungsten rod might place the overall weight of the gun over the allowed 2 ozs for USPSA. Does slide lightening (of either sort) really alter the gun's performance? To add another question in there, what might one expect if the factory barrel is refit? What are we talking about for accuracy improvement?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Z-Man said:
From what I've gathered the Tungsten rod might place the overall weight of the gun over the allowed 2 ozs for USPSA. Does slide lightening (of either sort) really alter the gun's performance? To add another question in there, what might one expect if the factory barrel is refit? What are we talking about for accuracy improvement?
If memory serves me, the tungsten rod isn't allowed in IDPA, I'm sure it is in USPSA.

The refit just makes it shoot more consistant. The barrel is going to shoot the way it shoots, thats the materials and quality of the barrel. If you go with a quality aftermarket barrel and get him to fit, you'll be in even better shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your barrel locks up tight in the slide,,,,slide/frame fit doesn't buy you much, because where the slide goes,,,,the barrel goes,,,,as goes the sights too,,,,so it doesn't buy you much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another modification question I have and thought I would ask in this thread is what is the stock spring rate of an xd9 service (the spring that everyone replaces with the Wolf springs and which comes in # from 16-24)

Does this simply change the forced required to rack the slide?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts