Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put hundreds of rounds through my XD40 with my only hi-cap mag, trying to break it in. Went to the range Friday night to give it one more test (the previous range trip went off without a hitch), and I had 2 FTF's in 250 rounds! I was using only the hi-cap, and both FTF's were of the same variety--the round going into the chamber was fine, but the round below in the mag (always happens with rounds 11 and 12) was pushing up too hard and the thing (you know, the thing) that the rounds in the magazine push up against when the slide is in battery (what is that thing anyway) shaved the casing of the round in the mag creating a burr on the casing--enough to stop the forward motion of the slide. Keeping the muzzle pointed downrange I pressed the mag release button (had to push hard) and as soon as the mag popped out the slide closed, round in the chamber.

I know this is happening because the mag spring is too strong...but jeepers, how many cycles (loading, unloading) does it take to break it in? Can I cut a coil or two out of the spring?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Just squeeze you magazine lips closer about a 100th of an inch this will push the top round down. Cutting coils still means the top bullet is ridding to high. Try that before anything drastic

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I've verified that the bullet height is identical to that of of my 10 round mags that work just fine.

Perhaps I'll buff the edges of the "thing" so that as it slides along the casing of the round in the mag it won't dig up metal...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I agree...the hi-caps are junk. Too bad Wilson does not make replacement mags for the XD...I'd have never opted for stock SA mags.

Too bad, I love the XD-40...I guess if I cannot get it done with 10 rounds of 40SW I am **** out of luck. Shouldn't be a huge problem...I'd rather have the relaibility than just two more rounds.

Why isnt 10rds enough for all of us in 40SW? Seems like its plenty of firepower. Hell, I have relied on a 7 round 1911 for protection for decades and never cried about not having as many rounds as the wondernine guys.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As they say, "The more, the merrier." But you have a good point. I actually do put one in the chamber, pop the mag and top it off, so I do get 11.

I'll keep working the mag, but if I'm still having trouble after a couple more range trips I'm gonna clip a coil or two. If I really screw it up I can buy a replacement spring... :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
I agree...the hi-caps are junk. Too bad Wilson does not make replacement mags for the XD...I'd have never opted for stock SA mags.
Wow. My experience with XD40 full caps is the direct opposite of yours. All three run flawlessly just like the klinton mags do.

sjp2452, life's too short to fiddle much with a $25 magazine. IMHO, you should toss it and get some that work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought 3 of them a month or two a go and had similar problems with one of them. I noticed the on that magazine one of the lips was a little out of sinc with it's opposite. Also, the angle of the lips on the bad mag was a little different than the two good mags. After a little adjustment with the Gerber tool and a good polishing with the dremel it worked flawlessly with about 200 rounds through it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts