Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the slide to unlock to field disassemble my XD9 service. I've done it scores of times before with no problems. Even resorted to getting out the manual but still - the slide will not come off the lower. It feels as though it's trying to but just won't unlock and slide off. I see nothing obvious wrong ... mag's out, the chamber is clear, the trigger group seems to be working. Seems like the roll pin has dropped in the top of the slide a bit but I can't be sure. Can anybody provide some guidance??

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Did your guide rod assembly get unseated some how? Turn the XD upside down and give it a few good smacks on the top of the slide. They rack the slide a few time.

Make sure your gun is empty during this entire process!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Old School. I tried for quite awhile but couldn't get the slide to unlock. I think you're on to something though as after thumping the gun upside down on the palm and working the slide a bit, the slide moves forward just a bit more. There's a semi-local smith I'm going to contact tomorrow. If they can't handle it, back to Springfield it goes!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was at the range the other day and when I tried to strip the slide to remove the 9mm converison barrel I could not get it to come off of the frame. I bugger around with it for about 10min then decided that the rod/spring assembley had shifted. It would cock and click and act fine but the slide would just not come off (tactical model btw). After thinking about it I decided to fire a live round in it... fired ok so I loaded up a couple of mags and let rip. Tried to remove the slide again and I could feel it try to come free so I gave it a good pull and off it came. Turns out I had put the sping on the rod the wrong way around and the end of the coil had popped past the spot where is was soposed to sit and this end was hanging out on something in the frame. I've since made sure to put the unfinished/wrapped end of the sping to the muzzel end and have not had the problem repeat itself.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had that problem here 3 nights ago. I put the recoil spring on backwards and the tip of the spring came off the tip of the rod, and was jamming the slide. I knew that had to be the problem, so i just took a bfh(epoxy) and whacked it. Off it came.

Unless you really know what the problem is, I wouldn't suggest doing that though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did this the other night... if you put the spring on backwards for the dons guide rod and spring the spring will jump off the end of the rod and hang up on the take down bar. I had to take mine to a smith and then walked out of the room he did some beating on it and then the slide broke loose and came fling off or so he says. No damage to the gun but the rod and spring are not usable anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck getting my slide to unlock - man I tried!!! Since this is my normal steelhead fishing time Michigan [almost as addictive as shooting sports!!] I ended up doing that and sending the XD to Springfield. The nice lady left me a phonemail just today. BTW - I have a Don's guide rod in my XD9 ... judging from some of the related posts it was most likely operator error!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts