Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can't seem to shake this problem... I keep flenching at the range. Not at my own shots, but shots from other shooters. I guess my ear protection maybe isn't good enough and I am just reacting to the loud noise. It doesn't disrupt my shooting all that much if at all, but it's just a bit embarasing.
Anybody else have this problem? What have you done to combat it?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I bought some muffs and tried them without plugs, but it just doesn't seem to be enough for indoor shooting. It doesn't help that the last trip I was next to a guy shooting a .44 mag and he was against the wall. I rented a springfield 1911 to try out, but it had a ported barel so it was loud as hell to. I hope with a bit more hearing protection and just with time I will get used to it and won't have a problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With my Peltor tactical ear muff i still can hear people talk 10 lanes away. Electronic is the way to go for me. With ear plugs under my muffs

·
Registered
263 Posts
+1 for ear plugs under the muffs. I found out about that on Saturday with the guy next to be shooting a 44 mag.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Another + for wearing plugs under muffs (boy, that sounds funny, out-of-context! :lol:). I like to hear what's going on around me, so I wear a set of electronic muffs - crank that sucker up so you can hear range commands, etc.

Also, if you aren't already, wear a ballcap. With the brim pulled down low, that helps a bit, too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have that problem sometimes when I haven't been to the range in a while. I guess I sort of get used to it and tune it out after a few flenches lol. But I agree with the others, ear plugs under the muffs would probably do it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As you go to the range more often, you just get used to it. I had a guy open up with his .44 mag two or three lanes down from me. Did not slow me down a bit. I did finish up my mag and looked on down that way...and everyone else was doing the same! It was really kind of funny, like big breasts, only better.

RJ

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
So I can't seem to shake this problem... I keep flenching at the range.

What are you doing bringing whales and seals to your range????:shock:

Flench:
to strip the blubber or the skin from whales, seals, etc.

Or were you flinching? If you were flinching, then better hearing protection muffs will help. They come in MANY grades. The cheap worthless ones are 17-22 db. The GOOD ones are 30-33 db. You should only buy the good ones if you value your hearing! Using plugs and good muffs will really insulate you from other shooters report.

And no, I have never felt the uncontrollable urge to strip blubber while at the range;)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
More range time. You'll get used to it, eventually.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies and sory for using the wrong spelling/ term. I'm just shocked that out of all the post no one just said quit being a wuss. I will be wearing plugs under my elctronic muffs from now on.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
^ Quit being a wuss.

:) Just kidding. :)

I think that this is something that many of us have had to deal with, so we're sympathetic.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
thanks for the replies and sory for using the wrong spelling/ term. I'm just shocked that out of all the post no one just said quit being a wuss. I will be wearing plugs under my elctronic muffs from now on.
Try an outdoor range without a shelter. hearing protection won't keep you from flinching if your teeth are being rattled. It's much easier to shoot in open air.

If you were at an outdoor range, then just get more range time.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

The VAST majority of the electronic muffs out there are in the 17-22 db range. So a 165db report is reduced to 148 to 143 db. Those sound levels are high enough to leave you with permanent hearing damage. The only e-muffs that are good enough alone are the Pro-Ears Gold. Every 3db DOUBLES the sound pressure on your ears. Every 10db is 10X the pressure and 10x the damage resulting in 10x the amount of permanent hearing damage. A good set of muffs that are rated for 33 db are 10 times better than ones at 22 or 23 db rating.

The Pro-Ears literally make the sound of the reports go away. It's so good it's scary because you can still hear everything else. But so is the price (scary). I've got 2 sets of them because I HAVE to keep what's left of my hearing intact. The price is high but still a small fraction of the cost of hearing aids and is nothing compared to the continual embarrassment of having to ask people to speak up and repeat what they said.

Sorry to harp on it, but having lost hearing ability I can't sit back and watch others repeat my mistakes:oops:.

Do double up, but I would suggest that you get a set of non-electronic muffs that are rated at 33 to 36 db and use GOOD plugs. I just bought an extra spare set of muffs from Harbor Freight today for 12.99 that are rated 36/33.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
With my Peltor tactical ear muff i still can hear people talk 10 lanes away. Electronic is the way to go for me. With ear plugs under my muffs
I love my Peltors. Never shoot without them.

Amazon.com: Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector: Home Improvement

Technical Details

• NRR 26dB
  • Electronics limit amplified sounds to 82dBA within 2 milliseconds
  • Active-volume provides maximum distortion free amplification low level sounds up to 18dBA
  • Omni-directional stereo microphones provide 360 degree external ambient listening
  • Auto power saving feature

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah my electronic muffs are only 23db I have seen some 3m branded ones at Homedepot for about $16 or so that are 30db. I like the e-muffs I have because they are low profile, but I guess that seems to be one of the reasons for the lower ratings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same as others here...I keep a combination of foam plugs and electronic muffs in my range bag to adjust as needed. Still, I understand what you mean...it was like being next to the one guy with an M1 while just about everyone else is shooting .22 at an Appleseed shoot. pop...pop...pop...BOOM! (and grass is flattened in a nice radius in front of us).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my Peltors. Never shoot without them.

Amazon.com: Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector: Home Improvement

Technical Details

• NRR 26dB
  • Electronics limit amplified sounds to 82dBA within 2 milliseconds
  • Active-volume provides maximum distortion free amplification low level sounds up to 18dBA
  • Omni-directional stereo microphones provide 360 degree external ambient listening
  • Auto power saving feature
I purchased the same pair. They are quite decent, hokey "tactical" marketing aside. However, in a lane against the wall, your shots and those of the shooter next to you can still be really, really loud. The Peltor Ultimate 10's are definitely better sound suppressors (and much cheaper, of course), but I think the muff/earplug combo is probably the best idea in either case.

As far as the 2ms response, that was just fine in practice. I could not notice any delay in squelching the amplification of loud sounds, whether hard claps right next to the microphones or gunshots. Some people complained about some 6ms pairs not being quick enough. Nonetheless, if there is frequent, loud firing around you, you still need to do a little lip-reading to catch an entire conversation with someone right beside you. It's not magic, at least not at the $160 price-point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts