Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has me befuddled. I haven't had my XD9 Service Model for very long and out of convenience have only loaded it by: inserting magazine while slide is locked open and thumbing the slide release lever to chamber first round. Yesterday at the range I decided to mix it up a bit and tried to load a full magazine with the slide closed and then rack it to load the first round. Well, I never got that far as the magazine wouldn't even seat in the gun if the slide was closed. I tried with my original 10 round magazines, 15 round magazines, WWB ammo, and Ranger T ammo (if any of that makes a difference, but I can't imagine how it would.) Mabye I was just being too gentle, but it sure felt like I was giving her enough to insert the magazine. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think you were being to gentle with it... I dont recall having a problem loading mine with a full mag while it is closed.... I think the spring in the mag is just strong and with it being fully loaded the top round is pushing up pretty hard against the inside of the slide.... Take a round out of the mag and see if it makes it any easier.... but as long as your not overloading the mags, it should go in....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Too gentle. With a new/full mag with my XD40 you really have to give it a hard press to get it in with the rack closed...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
All normal.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hopefully someone will either agree or shoot me down on this, but it seems that a lot of failures to feed that happen with handguns can be caused by mags not seated fully. It's probably good practice to 'slam em home' anyway, regardless of slide being open or closed.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Matt`G said:
Hopefully someone will either agree or shoot me down on this, but it seems that a lot of failures to feed that happen with handguns can be caused by mags not seated fully. It's probably good practice to 'slam em home' anyway, regardless of slide being open or closed.
+1

I usualy give them a tap or two when I load just to make sure they are seated. It does not seem to be a problem with a empty gun, but man, it can really screw you over on a tac reload. The last thing you want to do in competition or combat is an immediate drill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
my 40 service was really stiff at first. when it was new there was no way to insert a full mag without the slide open/locked. After about 200rds It has loosed up and works like a charm.

My advice is GO SHOOTIN :D Nothing like a little exercise for you XD they love it, and seem to get better with age.

Im planning a range trip this weekend to try out my new Hogue grip and see if the damn range has my mags in stock this time. :evil:

Enjoy your XD

·
Registered
415 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
I haven't had my XD9 Service Model for very long ...
Leave the mags loaded or practice loading and unloading. They will break in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only time I have had this problem is when I was practicing for USPSA matches, when you have to be quick, I solved it, by not loading my mags to capacity and planning the course differently. otherwise when I am target shooting I just make sure I give it a good punch.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have been finding this to be more of a problem with the new 16 round 9mm mags. Anyone else have magazine seating issues with these mags? It seems the exta round resists proper seating in a loaded gun requireing a determined tap on the baseplate to seat properly, otherwise you get a mag popping partialy out and a failure to feed situation. I am currently trading my 16 round magazines for 15 round ones with other XD shooters at my range. Bigger is not always better, from now on I am sticking to original design spec magazines.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had similar issues with newer mags. When loaded to fully capacity, I have to really insert the mags forcefully, sometimes with an extra bump from the heel of my palm, to get them to seat. This is for the slide-closed position only. A full capacity slide lock reload is no issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts