Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I really have issues hitting a 15 yd NRA slow fire target with my XDS. No problems with my XDM 9 or XD 45. I'm shooting reloads that have less recoil than store bought 230 grain ammo and it doesn't make much difference. Has anyone went down to a 9mm XDS from a 45?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Have you tried factory ammo yet?

Its possible that your gun may not do well with those particular loads.

Recoil should have no bearing on slow fire. Its something else thats the issue. If all else fails just shorten up the distance and over time/with practice increase distance.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What's the barrel length of the others, compared to the 3" XD-S?
Have you tried it with the target closer in, or did you simply start @ 15Yds hoping to get great results? You need to know at what distance accuracy is dropping off.

I've been shooting pistols since the 60s, but when I get a new pistol, I still start off at 10Ft, as if I were a brand new shooter, to assess grouping and accuracy, then move to 5Yds and repeat, then 7Yds, 10Yds, THEN 15Yds.

As mentioned, try Factory loads. The reloads may need to be tweaked for a 3.3" barrel pistol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This range is indoors and limited to 15yds only. I have fired factory ammo, with just about the same success. The other XD's I have are 4.5" and 5". I know this isn't going to be as accurate, but I can hit the black with the other guns. I recon I need more practice.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Even a short bbl like the XD/S 3.3 inch is inherently accurate enough. It is the trigger pull, coupled with the short sight radius that gives most trouble. t To help with this, I would suggest obtaining some snap caps, then working at home with a snap cap in the gun, picking an aim point on a wall nearby (5-10 feet) and practicing with the trigger pull until you can pull the trigger through smoothly without pulling the sights off the aim point. This is likely to be difficult at first, but with lots of trigger practice, can readily be learned. Doing this with a snap cap eliminates the factor of recoil and noise while you master the trigger. This then translates to better trigger control at the range, and thus better grouping.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
For me I found that shooting the smaller pistols exacerbates my tendency to push the trigger slightly rather than getting the pull straight back. I move off the pad of the finger and move up nearer to the first joint. For me, I think it's a problem of larger sized hands being cramped up in a smaller area.

Also don't discount the sights might be off from the factory. Shoot it from a bench rest and have someone else shoot it from the rest and see if the results from the two of you compare.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Even a short bbl like the XD/S 3.3 inch is inherently accurate enough. It is the trigger pull, coupled with the short sight radius that gives most trouble.
Here's your answer. The short sight radius is unforgiving. The pistol is accurate, but you're dragging the muzzle all over hell's half-acre while pulling the trigger.

Find another range, move in closer and refine your fundamentals.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Here's your answer. The short sight radius is unforgiving. The pistol is accurate, but you're dragging the muzzle all over hell's half-acre while pulling the trigger.

True. Here's my .45 XDS, five shots of 230gr Gold Dots at seven yards at a dot that's 1-1/8". The gun is definitely "better" than I am. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Folks,
I really have issues hitting a 15 yd NRA slow fire target with my XDS. No problems with my XDM 9 or XD 45. I'm shooting reloads that have less recoil than store bought 230 grain ammo and it doesn't make much difference. Has anyone went down to a 9mm XDS from a 45?
For me, less recoil doesnt make me more accurate, it just reduces target acquisition time.

I'm shooting 200g Lee SWC's cast from wheel weights and WST (soon to be 700-x) for a power factor of about 164 (820fps) and they are very accurate. I plan on increasing the load in order to better approximate the recoil of my SD ammo.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Are there any sights currently on the market we can install that'll lengthen the sight radius?
The sight radius (distance between rear and front sight) is limited by the length of the slide. It is already as long as it can get on this pistol without lengthening the slide/barrel. That, of course, has already been done with the XD/S 4 inch barrel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Spend some time and do dry fire drills, Figure out that trigger pull.

I am no marksman, had my XDS 3.3 9mm for a couple months, not my first gun, and this is two mags at 10 yards on my second time shooting it.

Perhaps it was because my Ruger p85 has even more trigger take up than the XDS.

I wanted the XDS for an EDC and because I have small hands and it fits nicely.

Give it time and practice, of it doesn't work out you'll find a home for it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Maybe if you want less recoil, you can trade it in for the 9mm version? There's great ammo available for the smaller caliber, plus you'd have more bullets in the mags. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you talking about cast bullets? Clean your bore carefully of the fouling, then try with jacketed bullet ammo. Also, have someone who can shoot try your gun and load. Are you using quality ear protection? Get/make some dud ammo, buy some snapcaps, etc. In your hat, mix a few of the duds with live ammo. and with your eyes shut, load some of your mags. Watch the front sight carefully. If it moves, on the duds, you're flinching. You can also have a friend turn his back (holding your pistol), lower the mag, cycle the slide, QUIETLY replace the mag, and hand you the gun, then watch to see if you are blinking. Few believe that they are flinching (but they are) Video from a smart phone can prove it, too.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Simple Fix: (Fundamentals)

Make sure that "squat" is right behind the tip of your front sight post, with the rear sight posts simultaneously level with said front sight post. Then, while maintaining focus on the front sight post- keeping it level with the rear sight posts and hovering over the point on "squat" that you'd like to hit- press the trigger as smoothly as you can, taking care not to jerk it backwards or to let the front sight post de-level itself with the rear sight posts or move off of the intended impact point on "squat."

Everything else, while important to speed, is technique has no affect whatsoever on your hole in the target.

AKA, This:

·
Registered
211 Posts
You are flinching. There's no other explanation. It's not a curse. It's common for guns we "expect" are going to be beasts to shoot. It's your expectations that are causing the problem. RELAX and have fun. The gun won't hurt you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts