Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so I have loaded up more then a few hundred rounds of .223 and, my gun like the ultramax ammo...so I have been trying to duplicate their loads.they use accurate powder (2230 or 1680?) but since our shop didn't have 2230, I got 1680. anyway, my question is this:after reading the load data, it says the max load is 19.7 gr with 55gr bullets, i've loaded a few rounds at max and took it out to test. shot very well, but there is no kick like the factory rounds. its poi is about 1 inch higher at 100 yards then the factory and groups a hell lot better then factory. anyone know why?I loaded up some 'hot' rounds (24.4gr) and shot it, but still...its only about 2/3 the kick. does it mean that factory is loading super hot? or is it the powder? I am reading about ~2990 fps thou..another question....its a dumb one but hey...might as well:I have 1 lbs of accurate no.5 powder...I use to reload .40 cal but gave up on it...I wanted to make a subsonic round for my 223. i've loaded up 4.6 gr with the correct powder...but, was thinking can I use the #5 to load up a 223 round with the same amount? I don't need it to be accurate just and to shoot pest in my backyard. well I'm just asking becuz no on wants the powder and its just collecting dust.thanks

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Even though I have been accused of doing a lot of "cutting edge" reloading, I'm not sure that I would even try this. Check out this burn chart: Powder Chart
As you can see, there is a large gap between the two. I'd be concerned about a pressure problem in trying to use the #5 Accurate. Better get out your hard hat for this one!

How do you know what they are using? Different lots of the same powder do not always burn the same but I'd say that is not the only thing you are dealing with.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I was a bit quick on the submit button on my last post! I have loaded a LOT of .223 ammo using Varget which doesn't meter as well as I would like it to in my powder measures. I decided to try a ball powder, Accurate 2460. My goal was to get the same speed out of my Sierra 77 grain bullets that I was getting with the Varget. The same speed takes about one full grain less powder charge with the Accurate and shoots much softer, although not as much as you are describing. Accuracy is much the same and it meters very well.

Whatever powder Ultramax uses may not even be what you can buy off the shelf. Work up a load with the correct powder for your application that is accurate and be happy with it. Use a .22 for the pests.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the comments. the only way I knew about ultramax is that they stated that they use accurate powder. hehe its on the box. either way, I'm eiather gonna try to trade it at the gun show...but, I hope some one would take it....I don't care even if they trade me for a box of 223, or 7.62x54r ,.hehe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts