Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many topics on this forum but I still haven't been able to decide if I should get a 40sc or 40 service model. I looked at the guns at several gun stores and the cheapest place I found was Cabelas. They have a 40 service model for $450 in either bitone or black. I have a few rifles and shotguns the only pistol I own is a S&W 22lr with a 7inch barrel. I've shot many different sizes of pistols but still can't make up my mind. I'm 6'5 and both models seem to fit my hands just fine and this pistol will be used mostly for target shooting. Help me out I'm going to Cabelas tomorrow to hopefully buy one.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,551 Posts
mostly target shooting? Get the service. Slightly longer distance between sights means better accuracy and less impact to your POI. The subbie isn't as forgiving w/ the slightest movement while squeezing the trigger as the service and tactical models will be. Just my 2¢.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
Get the service. The SubCompact is almost as big, harder to handle and not as accurate at longer ranges. I think that they are both about as concealable with a good holster.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
If you're not planning on carrying, then get the service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Wow, 2 years ago Cabelas was $419. And they were the cheapest I could find local. If just for targets, spring for a little extra and get the tactical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
If you're gonna use for target shooting I think most people would recommend a full size gun with a longer barrel and longer sight radius. It would have more accuracy. If you are thinking the possibilty of carrying you may want to go with the smaller frame and barrel. The service model can fall into both categories target and carry. The sub-compact would be more of a carry gun and the tactical more of a target gun. Although some members of this forum do carry the tactical model. The final decision all comes down to what you want. These are just my opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SubReel said:
If you're gonna use for target shooting I think most people would recommend a full size gun with a longer barrel and longer sight radius. It would have more accuracy. If you are thinking the possibilty of carrying you may want to go with the smaller frame and barrel. The service model can fall into both categories target and carry. The sub-compact would be more of a carry gun and the tactical more of a target gun. Although some members of this forum do carry the tactical model. The final decision all comes down to what you want. These are just my opinions.
Yeah I eventually would like to carry I can't in Kansas but I can in Missouri. I'm pretty set on the service model seems to be the best choice. As I mentioned I do have a S&W 22lr with a 7inch barrel its pretty accurate. Hopefully Cabelas will give me 10% off making it only 400 instead of 450 most of the gun stores I shop at give me atleast a 10-20% discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
brian40 said:
Wow, 2 years ago Cabelas was $419. And they were the cheapest I could find local. If just for targets, spring for a little extra and get the tactical.
Two years ago gas was like $1.20...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
SubReel said:
If you're gonna use for target shooting I think most people would recommend a full size gun with a longer barrel and longer sight radius. It would have more accuracy. If you are thinking the possibilty of carrying you may want to go with the smaller frame and barrel. The service model can fall into both categories target and carry. The sub-compact would be more of a carry gun and the tactical more of a target gun. Although some members of this forum do carry the tactical model. The final decision all comes down to what you want. These are just my opinions.
Actualy I found the accuracy of the tactical to be execrable. It in no way, shape or form shoots better then the Service and from my experience actualy shoots worse. If you really want to be accurate, get a Sig P210 or a CZ-75 with the slide in the frame . Otherwise the XD service is still the best way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
if ur primary purpose for this gun is target, then i'd suggest getting the service, like some of the other guys have already said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I have one of each in .40 (actually 2 Service', a Sub, and a Tactical) and don't notice a whole lot of difference in accuracy at defensive ranges of 7-10 yards. Get what your comfortable with and learn to shoot it well. If you going to target shoot at 50 yds plus, the longer barrel may be advantageous. I bought the Tactical first, due to prior experience at long range pistol shooting and it's longer sight radius, but as said, for short range, they all will be as accurate as you are. Practice, practice, practice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
242 Posts
manygunner
"Actualy I found the accuracy of the tactical to be execrable"

If your basing your opinion on the 9mm I got from you I found nothing unacceptable with it's accuracy.
I shot it without changing anything, offhand 1 1/2" at 15 yards 1" high and 1" to the right(rear sight had been moved).
The sub-compacts in 40 are very accurate, it's freekish how accurate at 50 yards. A 6" group at 50 yards is not uncommon with stock sights and a trigger job. I'm seriously thinking of shooting one at next years Production Nationals.
Get a gun that you are comfortable with and shoot the heck out of it.
Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Get the service, I carry mine concealed with no problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
RIIID said:
manygunner
"Actualy I found the accuracy of the tactical to be execrable"

If your basing your opinion on the 9mm I got from you I found nothing unacceptable with it's accuracy.
I shot it without changing anything, offhand 1 1/2" at 15 yards 1" high and 1" to the right(rear sight had been moved).
The sub-compacts in 40 are very accurate, it's freekish how accurate at 50 yards. A 6" group at 50 yards is not uncommon with stock sights and a trigger job. I'm seriously thinking of shooting one at next years Production Nationals.
Get a gun that you are comfortable with and shoot the heck out of it.
Rich
Must have been the different recoil dynamics throwing me off then. I can do that well with a Service but not with the tactical. I am glad you like the Tactical I sold you, just not the gun for me I guess. May it serve you well.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top