Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... ITEOTWAWKI...

nuclear winter... nothing left to eat.. would you consider it?

some south american tribes say humans taste like pork. IMO, it would be like rabbit starvation....... but i am curious to see what others think.

discuss.... :D

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Yeah whynot id rather eat that than bugs. I hate bugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting question, I think it just gets into where does survival take precedence over morals. We as culture believe eating other people as wrong on every sense of the word, but if you had the desire and will to survive would you? I can't say that I know for sure what I would do. But this also takes me to another thought. In the movie the Book of Eli people that were participating in cannibalism were somewhat deranged, I'm not a doctor so the exact repercussions of eating another human aren't within my realm of knowledge.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Nope. At that point, there is no point in it, atleast not to me. If that is all there is too eat, then what do you do after that? Thats where it gets to be that there is no point in going on any farther. Thats what that one last saved round is for.

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
Interesting question, I think it just gets into where does survival take precedence over morals. We as culture believe eating other people as wrong on every sense of the word, but if you had the desire and will to survive would you? I can't say that I know for sure what I would do. But this also takes me to another thought. In the movie the Book of Eli people that were participating in cannibalism were somewhat deranged, I'm not a doctor so the exact repercussions of eating another human aren't within my realm of knowledge.
The movie claimed it gave people shakes physiologically, like Parkinson's. I can see how a buildup of environmental toxins in that radioactive UV future might cause problems to show up much quicker if you are eating people (long lived), but it would be happening to everyone, not just the cannibals. That movie had lots of problems. The basic story line could have been done much better.

I guess it would depend on what I had left in my life to live for as to weather or not I'd resort to that level for survival. Many thing worth living for (like children, a hope for a better tomorrow) might not survive the ETOWAKI event or the following days to the point were food gets that scarce.

I have a feeling that once people get over the first bite, they would be much more likely to fill the freezer a second time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The movie claimed it gave people shakes physiologically, like Parkinson's. That movie had lots of problems. The basic story line could have been done much better.

I wasn't trying to imply that the movie was factual in all accounts just a thought. I agree the movie had it's problems, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Nope. I'll eat bugs instead thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nuclear winter.. I can understand that, what I wonder are why you wouldnt try and venture south. Are you forced into a cave? If you are mobile, what are your options? Are the fish all dead?

So, given that, if all is this bad, what is the point in living? To see it get better?

I dont know how old you are but I am 40 now. If things got crazy bad by this time next year, would I want to go on?

I do know I would of ventured south to the carribean as quick as possible. If it was bad all over then I would call it just the end and not worry about continuing on. Surviving in hellish conditions is still living in hell. Just pass on and move on to better things.

I guess I cannot really foresee a scenario where I have no food and have to look at people for nom noms.

Now if I crashlanded on a frozen mountain top and had to start looking at other survivors and non survivors for food, then maybe if there was nothing else left.
That scenario is better since society will still exist and you know its only temporary.
So a spin off question is how to do you pick who you eat? The lean workers? The fat people? The smart and weak? Who gets to be dinner first?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Good topic...

As an absolute last resort...probably. I'm assuming it would have to be fresh. Don't want to get sick from rotten meat.

It didn't bother me in book of eli, but the people in "the road" were alittle freaky. Also hannibal rising they made a nice soup.

This is also where our shtf spices come in handy. And I guess you could make jerky.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Nuclear winter.. I can understand that, what I wonder are why you wouldnt try and venture south. Are you forced into a cave? If you are mobile, what are your options? Are the fish all dead?

So, given that, if all is this bad, what is the point in living? To see it get better?

I dont know how old you are but I am 40 now. If things got crazy bad by this time next year, would I want to go on?
Y
I do know I would of ventured south to the carribean as quick as possible. If it was bad all over then I would call it just the end and not worry about continuing on. Surviving in hellish conditions is still living in hell. Just pass on and move on to better things.

I guess I cannot really foresee a scenario where I have no food and have to look at people for nom noms.

Now if I crashlanded on a frozen mountain top and had to start looking at other survivors and non survivors for food, then maybe if there was nothing else left.
That scenario is better since society will still exist and you know its only temporary.
So a spin off question is how to do you pick who you eat? The lean workers? The fat people? The smart and weak? Who gets to be dinner first?
Assuming I have ammo...I would hunt...but there would also be other hunters...so I would make traps.

As for quality, at this point anything goes. Sure it'd be nice to get the good stuff, but I think as we become scavengers we wont be to picky.

I don't know about kids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know being my age, 22, I would do anything it took to survive. I'd like to believe there wouldn't be a situation were I would have to decide who I ate and who I didn't. I guess as long as you can foresee a positive outlook on the possibilities of your life then yes, do what you have to to survive.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Nope. At that point, there is no point in it, atleast not to me. If that is all there is too eat, then what do you do after that? Thats where it gets to be that there is no point in going on any farther. Thats what that one last saved round is for.
this^^ (mostly)

Short term like the Donner party, OK mebbe.

Long term TEOTWAWKI, nope, Im movin on to greener pastures folks.

Ill survive as long as possible, but if it's that bad and no hope of improving, well, I know where Im going and Ill just go to sleep one day and be there.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i assume most here have seen that movie "alive" where the team was stranded in the andes. yeah, they lived, but were messed up mentality from the ordeal.

eat people and live but possibly be screwed up in the head?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
i assume most here have seen that movie "alive" where the team was stranded in the andes. yeah, they lived, but were messed up mentality from the ordeal.

eat people and live but possibly be screwed up in the head?
I dont get this. Yeah its gross and just not right, but as long as you didnt murder them why would you get messed up by it? i think the whole end of days situation will screw you up before just eating people.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont get this. Yeah its gross and just not right, but as long as you didnt murder them why would you get messed up by it? i think the whole end of days situation will screw you up before just eating people.
very true...but imagine snacking on a loved one. would that bother you?

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Ok... ITEOTWAWKI...

some south american tribes say humans taste like pork. IMO, it would be like rabbit starvation....... but i am curious to see what others think.

Field Dressing and Butchering

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Ok... ITEOTWAWKI...

some south american tribes say humans taste like pork. IMO, it would be like rabbit starvation

....... but i am curious to see what others think.

"Rabbit Starvation"???? Exactly what would be like "rabbit starvation"? Humans taste like pork to starving bunnies???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts