Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my colt gold cup and my xd9sc( bought Jan 3rd time to range-200 rounds)to the range sat. I started off at plates w/ the gold cup 6" plates 10 yards). then i put up some (2) IDPA silouettes and fire at then , pair firing (2 shots at one then 2 on each ). I haven't shot pistols much for years (highpower big time 98-04- made master class w/ AR service rifle) ; the GC has < 1k rounds , but my shots are w/in 3"on target. I was satisfied w/ accuracy (not speed, but you walk before you run). so then I get the xd out . The shots are all over. same routine; I'm shooting 10 shot mag (in pairs),and no clue which holes shot together.
So I start swiching things around,and trying difft things. to cut to the finale, I can just pull out the gold cup and shoot w/out thinking , but to get good groups w/ the xd I had to close my right (non dominant ) eye. so long as I did that,accuracy was fine.
When I shoot high-power , I wear glasses w/tape across rt eye- light gets in(reduces strain on left, ) but doesn't focus.Gold cup has plain dark post;xd has white dots. Is it sights? just new gun I need to learn? Ideas?
also, I am curious now - do Y'all shoot 1-both eyes open ?special glasses ? part of the reason I drifted from high power was tired of the 10 # coat...........thanks for all comments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I found that I have the same dilema as you. I shoot all my other pistols with both eyes, shotgun with both eyes open and scoped rifles with both eyes open.

My groups with my XD are cut in half or more when using one eye compared to two. I have no logical explanation for this, so I hope someone does!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, one thought is the XD just isn't as accurate as your 1911. I know that's been my experience so far.

Shooting off of a rest at about 15 yards, my 1911 will shoot a ragged hole (about 1" or so group). Best I could do with the XD is around 3" or somewhere thereabouts. I don't know about your pistol, but I just don't think my XD is locking up the barrel as consistently as it should be to get good accuracy.

Can't think of any reason why eye dominance would cause the difference you're noticing, but one way to test that might be to see if there's someone else you could have shoot them, and see what results they get.

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when i get to the range to practice (2 weeks-plate match this sat) I will take my ruger 22/45 and try one vs both eyes . Those are the only pistols I've shot much (still < 1500 total last 6 months - been off the pace). My performance really takes a nose dive when I switch guns -Thats why I got the 22/45 - so close to 1911..... I wonder how much was just the extra concentration. With rt eye shut I hit the head area every time (and centered)from 10-12 yards. both open and down to 2/3 with shots scattered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts