Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its probably been asked but I have looked and could not find an answer. I have finally recieved permission from my wonderful wife that I could buy an AR..my two choices at the moment is the Bushmaster C15 ORC Flat top with Carbon..lower reciever (yes I know) or the DPMS Oracle ORC...both are 699.99 which is around the price I am looking to spend...the Bushy comes with a red dot..which meh ok..

I know I can prolly build my own for cheaper but I really do not want to go that route..I prefer to just walk in and walk out...this is just my first AR so..which would you suggest? I am leaning towards the Bushy but I hear loads of folks do not like the carbon lower reciever...and I do not know much about DPMS..anyways thanks for all of your time.

S.B.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would vote for the DPMS if those were the only two I had to choose from. Buds has them for $556 shipped.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you can make it an option, don't forget about the Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport. I've seen it for sale for $500, right now it's a little more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you can afford a little more you might want to look at the Stag rifles. I'm sorry to run beyond the 2 you listed but I've been looking at this for a few moths now and I keep coming back to the Stag for the money $750. on gunbroker.com. I to a agree with not building one for me to build a decent quality AR I would only save $100 and the life time warranty on the Stag is worth the extra. Hope this helps and good luck with what ever you get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can afford a little more you might want to look at the Stag rifles. I'm sorry to run beyond the 2 you listed but I've been looking at this for a few moths now and I keep coming back to the Stag for the money $750. on gunbroker.com. I to a agree with not building one for me to build a decent quality AR I would only save $100 and the life time warranty on the Stag is worth the extra. Hope this helps and good luck with what ever you get.
To be honest any input is good input at this point...I thought I had my AR in mind only to find out its carbon upper and lower...so that kinda bummed me out...DPMS sounds ok..but I do not know much about them...I also found a BM A3 i think..for 800..which isnt bad..but has a front sight post which im not happy about... I would prefer my AR have zero optics...the sport sounds nice..but no forward assist is kind of a deal breaker...please feel free to send me any suggestions..

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If you want to wait you can get you a Spike's for around $800. The wait is a pretty long one so it might not suit you but for the money they are a pretty big bang.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Unlike many on AR forums, I don't recommend building your first AR, unless you are fortunate enough to be under the tutelage of a mentor - someone who knows their stuff.

That having been said, I did just complete my first build project, a 6.8 SPC dedicated hunting rifle - only after having owned a RRA 5.56 Entry Tactical I bought a year ago. During that year I became much more acquainted with the AR platform and read everything I could about its strengths and weaknesses, available options, ballistics, vendors, etc. While I am still far from what I would consider an expert, making the myriad of decisions necessary in putting together your own build project was much easier having a knowledge base on which to rely.

I'd get the best basic AR setup you can afford now and get to know and enjoy the platform, and begin saving up for the next one. They're like potato chips - ya can't have just one!

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's highly likely to acquire a very good used or second hand AR either in a private sale or through a gunstore, gun show, or gun broker. Some brands, like Armalite, carry a lifetime warranty.
In many instances, these ARs will have upgrades.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of right now pretty much im left empty handed...to many gun shops near me with high prices unfortunatley...not sure what to do at this point. I dont want to get the DPMS Oracle never even heard of them...I would love a stag but cant find any around here..I really like the BM carbon..but dont want to make a mistake of buying a gun that not to many know about or say good things about..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The carbon bushmaster is the newest one...the one with forward assist and dust cover...not sure if that helps..since so many are set againts the carbon lol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just bought an oracle a few weeks ago. It's a great gun. I put a new sig 3x illuminated scope for 130 and foregrip. It doesn't have a chromelined barrel but I'm not going into combat with it. The s&w sport doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist the oracle has both. You can get better but it's not likely you notice a difference for what your using it for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought an oracle a few weeks ago. It's a great gun. I put a new sig 3x illuminated scope for 130 and foregrip. It doesn't have a chromelined barrel but I'm not going into combat with it. The s&w sport doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist the oracle has both. You can get better but it's not likely you notice a difference for what your using it for.
Ha..well I guess we are DPMS buds now..I just got mine as well..Wife got tired of me dwelling on it and took me to the gun store..I picked it out she said wrap it up...700 out the door now just looking for optics...gonna go with some low profile sights..thus far I am happy. I called all over and DPMS is a brand I was recommended at every turn...I am at Ft. Hood btw.. its not a Colt but it will still serve its purpose. Just wanted to thank you all for your help as well. Take care! See ya in the field!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Stay safe and have fun, and like I said, start saving up for that next one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts