Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to trade/sell my Ruger P345 to put money towards a RIA 1911, but after seeing this video I'm sort of put off by it now:

YouTube - My RIA 1911 malfunctioning

Can someone explain why the hammer drops when the slide returns? Is there no half-cock safety? Doesn't really give me a lot of confidence in RIA 1911's. Might spend a little more $$$ go with a SA instead.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Its not a malfunction. Its a safety feature. It brings the hammer down to half-cock. There are a few manufacturers that do this.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not a malfunction. Its a safety feature. It brings the hammer down to half-cock. There are a few manufacturers that do this.
Gotchya. I do sort of see that it's half-cocked now. Why did the poster of the video say "This caused a pretty large hole to appear in my car center console!"?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yep, can't see squat. Judging by the comments, what is wrong is a bad sear or maybe the hammer hook. Usually caused by armchair gunsmiths who want to do a trigger job and end up changing the angle or the like. It can easily be fixed.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
That is NOT a safety feature!

True, some 1911s have a "safety shelf" in case your thumb slips, but most of the time, when a hammer actually "follows" a slide home, that is poor hammer/sear fitment or really, really worn hammer hooks. Very dangerous! Mostly seen on very old and very used/abused/neglected 1911s.

My 1953 Argie Sistema Colt did this and it was because of some VERY worn hammer hooks. I replaced the hammer and lo and behold...it never happened again. The hammer hooks were very worn and probably from over use and abuse by soldiers/police that carried it. Most Argentinian 1911s were not treated very well and carried through all sort of conditions and not maintained very well...surprise!

So yeah, my money goes to very poor hammer/sear fitment if that RIA 1911 is fairly new and has not seen gobs of ammo and really bad treatment. You have to REALLY mistreat a 1911 and run gobs of ammo through it to get it to that point. I am betting it was not fitted right, before it left the Philippines. It happens...

- brickboy240

·
Registered
408 Posts
I happen to have my RIA 1911 sitting right next to the couch now. I'm trying to recreate what is going on in this poorly lit video and can't do it. I can release the slide but the hammer stays at full cock and not half cock. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
grip saftey not depressed?

dont know just asking

·
Registered
157 Posts
He may have screwed with the leaf spring trying to improve the trigger pull, and not put enough tension on the sear arm.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My money is on worn out hammer hooks.

...seen it before.

- brickboy240

PS: and yes...the lighitng in that video was absolutely horrible - an unsafe 1911 in the dark....not good! LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am fairly new to guns so i was wondering if that had a round in the chamber would that have fired the round? same question but what if you have a round in the chamber and you go to cock and lock and your finger slips would that cause it to fire also?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I am fairly new to guns so i was wondering if that had a round in the chamber would that have fired the round? same question but what if you have a round in the chamber and you go to cock and lock and your finger slips would that cause it to fire also?
In the case you are asking about I believe the hammer would be caught on the half cock notch and not fire a round.

If you didn't pull it back far enough to engage the the half cock then it most likely will not fire off a chambered round do to not having enough powere? striking the firing pin.

And don't feel like that is a stupid question to ask. Because there are no stupid questions(okay there are some buuuut...) and that was a good question not knowing the answer and knowing to ask about that.

·
Registered
914 Posts
What if you have a round in the chamber and you go to cock and lock and your finger slips would that cause it to fire also?
The simplest answer to that is:

The 1911 pistol, being a single-action, should never have a round in the chamber without already being cocked. Loading the chamber results in the cocking of the hammer.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous to attemp to de-cock a loaded 1911 (requires pulling the trigger and easing the hammer down), and it should be avoided whenever possible.

Furthermore, the standard 1911-a1 is not equipped with a firing pin safety of any kind. If the pistol is de-cocked a bump on the back of the hammer could be enough to discharge a round.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
No 1911 that is properly fitted, should do this...ever.

Since the pistol shown is a fairly newly made 1911...my money is on the fact that it was probably poorly fitted at the factory or its owner got a little too enthusiastic, trying to lighten the pull and messed with the hammer hooks or sear spring engagements.

If you don't really know what you're doing with this part of a 1911...its best to leave it to a professional.

I wouldn't NOT buy a 1911 because of that video. Again, a properly fitted 1911 will never do that.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I don't have an RIA so I could just be talking out of my butthole, but it seems to pretty far-fetched that someone would design a pistol where the slide release also decocks the hammer.
My vote is for malfunction.

·
Registered
233 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts