Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just a few words of wisdom for all of us. I have been shooting guns now for over 30 years. I have always been very careful and never had a issue with doing something really stupid with my guns. Well tonight my streak ended. I took one of my many Xd's out of my nightstand beside my bed. XD sub-compact 9mm. As I held my pistol, for some reason it slipped from my hand. During the process of grabbing it, I must have caught my finger on the trigger and "pow". Now I have a nice hole in my bedroom wall. What made it even worse, my wife's sisters were at the the house. I felt like a idiot. You know how family is. Well, nobody was in the room with me which is great and nobody got hurt. Just my pride and safety streak. It happened really fast. So, to all of us, even those with a lot of experience, you can never be too careful. Crap. still can't believe I let it slip from my hand. Anyway, good wakeup call. :oops:

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Glad no one was hurt.

Another reason why I don't keep any of my guns in the house in condition 1....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Glad you're all right and the damage was confined to the wall. Fighting the urge to "catch" a dropped handgun is hard to break. I've dropped my XDm once, didn't grab for it, just let it hit the ground, no bang. Again, glad you're alright.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right, it is hard to not grab it. It really did not actually fall, just slipped from my hand. My finger must have caught on the trigger. Again, I am blessed everything is ok. Just the embarrassment alone will make me be more careful, even though the main thing nobody was hurt. Including me! You just hate to have something like that happen when others are around. Mainly for safety reasons but also because you don't want anyone in your family thinking you are careless. I thought about it a lot tonight and don't really think I did anything careless. It just happened. So fast I did not have time to even think about it. Again, main thing is nobody was hurt, but it sure hurts your pride. In the future, I will just let it drop unless any of you have ideas. I have all my HD guns in condition one because my wife can't rack the slide. I am out of town a lot and worry about her. Want her to be able to protect herself if she needs to. Gosh! Just a crazy thing. I was lucky.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I agree, most recently built pistols are drop proof/resistant.

If you can fight the urge, let it drop.

My XD has dropped off the edge of the couch once, scared me, was waiting for a boom, took everything I had not to grab it while falling.

Sure enough, hit the floor, no bang life is good

·
Registered
480 Posts
A dangerous incident indeed. Glad no one was hurt.

It's always safe to store a gun with an empty chamber but with a full mag within reach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
actually xd grib safety is extra guard against this kind of incident, just caught on the trigger is not enough to fire it, you must held the grip safety at the same time, so when trying to catch it, you got a full grip on the gun and caught the trigger at the same time and pulled 6 pound?

glad no one got hurt, never play with gun at home with live round in chamber

·
Registered
328 Posts
You are right, it is hard to not grab it. It really did not actually fall, just slipped from my hand. My finger must have caught on the trigger. Again, I am blessed everything is ok. Just the embarrassment alone will make me be more careful, even though the main thing nobody was hurt. Including me! You just hate to have something like that happen when others are around. Mainly for safety reasons but also because you don't want anyone in your family thinking you are careless. I thought about it a lot tonight and don't really think I did anything careless. It just happened. So fast I did not have time to even think about it. Again, main thing is nobody was hurt, but it sure hurts your pride. In the future, I will just let it drop unless any of you have ideas. I have all my HD guns in condition one because my wife can't rack the slide. I am out of town a lot and worry about her. Want her to be able to protect herself if she needs to. Gosh! Just a crazy thing. I was lucky.

Being embarrassed is going to happen, I was embarrassed and nobody saw or heard a thing. Being accountable is a rare thing though, admitting to us and yourself how this occurred will help all of us. Recently there have been several threads dealing with ND's, this is the first one in awhile where the person admitted it was operator error and not an equipment malfunction. Thank you for your honesty and the reminder that regardless of our experience we should never get to the point where we think it can never happen to us.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ns66, Thanks for your concern for my safety. Frankly, I don't play with guns and you mentioning this in your reply could be taken quite negative. Yes you are correct about the working of the grip safety and full grip. Also, 6 pounds of trigger pressure is not really that much when you consider something like this. I am well aware that I must have had a full grip. That still does not negate the fact that I had a serious accident tonight. See that you are a newbie and welcome you to the forum.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
For anyone paying attention:

Although there have been a rash of ND posts lately, this is the first I've seen in a while where the OP admits his own fault. Considering how long he's been a member, and his willingness to accept the mea culpa, it's different from the other threads that have popped up recently.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, I really appreciate all your post. It really makes me feel much better. This is the best forum on the internet and your posts of concern just proves it. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ns66, Thanks for your concern for my safety. Frankly, I don't play with guns and you mentioning this in your reply could be taken quite negative. Yes you are correct about the working of the grip safety and full grip. Also, 6 pounds of trigger pressure is not really that much when you consider something like this. I am well aware that I must have had a full grip. That still does not negate the fact that I had a serious accident tonight. Instead of saying that I found your post out of line, I welcome you to our forum. See that you are a newbie.
i don't see anything wrong playing with guns, yes guns can kill, but face it, 99.9% of civilians won't use it to kill anyone in their life time, it's just "toys", as long as there's no live ammo in it, there's nothing wrong with playing with it, nor did i use that word in any negative way

i am more curious how this happened, if it's glock with no grip safety that i can see it happening, when xd is in the air, you caught it with both grip and finger and squeezed, that's quite a fine motor manuver, well strange things happen that's life i guess

·
Registered
328 Posts
i don't see anything wrong playing with guns, yes guns can kill, but face it, 99.9% of civilians won't use it to kill anyone in their life time, it's just "toys", as long as there's no live ammo in it, there's nothing wrong with playing with it, nor did i use that word in any negative way

i am more curious how this happened, if it's glock with no grip safety that i can see it happening, when xd is in the air, you caught it with both grip and finger and squeezed, that's quite a fine motor manuver, well strange things happen that's life i guess
The natural reaction when an item is dropped is to quickly reach out with fingers splayed wide and when your fingers touch the object they instinctively clench, (try it, you'll see). From the OP's post I can visualize exactly how this could occur. Gun slips, quickly reach out, grip safety is defeated by web of hand between thumb and index finger, instinctive clench of all fingers, index finger or other goes through trigger guard, BANG. Also any mention of the words "play" and "toy" should never be associated with any firearms. Just bad for PR. Also, welcome to the forum, It is a great place.:D

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ns66,,,, You are correct. If a person were able to catch a gun in the air with a full grip and finger on the trigger, that would be a once in a lifetime catch. Unfortunately, that is not what happened. As I said in my original post, the gun was slipping from my hand. When I regained control of my XD, I must have put my finger on the trigger and fired. Yes, it was my fault. I really don't agree with your statement that guns are just toys, loaded or not. I had a friend shoot himself because he was playing with a gun thinking it was not loaded. He made a mistake and paid the price. Very sad such things happen. We all can learn from it. That is why I never play with guns. My dad taught me at an early age, guns are not toys. I agree...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had a ND, it's not something I discuss, but it is a VERY mentally stressful situation. I hope you and your family come through it ok

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Well, just a few words of wisdom for all of us. I have been shooting guns now for over 30 years. I have always been very careful and never had a issue with doing something really stupid with my guns. Well tonight my streak ended. I took one of my many Xd's out of my nightstand beside my bed. XD sub-compact 9mm. As I held my pistol, for some reason it slipped from my hand. During the process of grabbing it, I must have caught my finger on the trigger and "pow". Now I have a nice hole in my bedroom wall. What made it even worse, my wife's sisters were at the the house. I felt like a idiot. You know how family is. Well, nobody was in the room with me which is great and nobody got hurt. Just my pride and safety streak. It happened really fast. So, to all of us, even those with a lot of experience, you can never be too careful. Crap. still can't believe I let it slip from my hand. Anyway, good wakeup call. :oops:
How's your ears? Probably still ringing? Not to scare you, but that single shot in a small room probably did a notable amount of permanent damage. You will have to be extra careful in the future as damage accelerates with each incident.

While embarrassing, it's better to be embarrassed than incarcerated! You should probably do a Mea Culpa and volunteer for a gun safety class and get the wife and maybe even her sister to go along. That will both show them you are serious about safety and will allay their fears the incident induced.

ns66 --> I find your posting to be stomach churning in the extreme. That attitude is exactly what causes ND's, feeds the anti-2A crowd and causes heart wrenching tragedy. EVERY gun is ALWAYS LOADED and needs to be treated that way ALL THE TIME. That's the premise behind the 4 rules of safe weapon handling. You want a toy, go buy a frigg'n toy. You have a gun, you show it the respect a deadly weapon demands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts