Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could use acetone to clean teh bores of my guns' barrels? Will it work like a solvent based bore cleaner?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
I was wondering if I could use acetone to clean teh bores of my guns' barrels? Will it work like a solvent based bore cleaner?

Yes, along with Windex with amonia(but clean with Hopps or your favorite right away as amonia will destroy a finish, had to get my 1943 M44 reblued :evil: ) diesel fuel, mineral spirits, white gas(unleaded gas). Just about anything. But for Modern guns with modern ammo, copper fouling should be about the only issue, unless you shoot unjacketed ammo or Combloc surplus.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ed's Red bore cleaner is equal parts kerosene, mineral spirits, acetone and Dextron automatic transmission fluid with some lanolin added for rust prevention. It works very well both with and without the acetone. Acetone by itself would clean the bore of power fouling but, it is highly flammable and evaporates so quickly that I think you'd be better served with a commercial bore cleaner like Hoppe's, Blue Wonder, Break Free etc.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
casue I have a crap load of acetone in my shed and ran out of solvent based bore cleaner lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts