Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has put a tac. barrel in to the service model?
I am trying to see if I need to upgrade to a tac. to build a comp. only gun or are their options to improve the service model.
Slides are impossible to find and I have herd that they don't interchange well.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The advantage of the Tactical is not the barrel length but the length of the sight radius. A 2 inch barrle is just as accurate as a 10 inch barrel but its easier to shoot a 10 inch sight radius accurately than a 3 inch. A longer barrel will also give you a bit more velocity for a given load but that would be no advantage for a comp gun unless you were trying to push a 9mm to major PF.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
R/T Performance said:
But I was under the impression the end bushing wouldn't fit correctly.
You are thinking conversion barrels. If you want a National Match barrel, EFK makes 9mm barrels for the XD-9.

I can't honestly say that my Tactical is a better shooter than my Service model. They are the same for me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
:idea: Instead of butchering up a perfectly good Service model with an upgrade that probally won't acheive the results that you are expecting..... Add a few more dollars and purchase a factory Tactical model of the same caliber as your Service model. This way you will benefit from the extended sight radius and the longer barrel together. Besides then you will have a new "pride & toy" to post about and the magazines will interchange :D Besides.....you know you REALLY need it to round out your collection :wink:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
HMm, not sure it would work right. I remember a thing that happened to 1911 where barrel had soem internal stresses induced by poor busing fit causing lousy accuracy. I think it was called barrel springing. Those of you familiar with the subject please chime in.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WARHEAD'Z said:
:idea: Instead of butchering up a perfectly good Service model with an upgrade that probally won't acheive the results that you are expecting..... Add a few more dollars and purchase a factory Tactical model of the same caliber as your Service model. This way you will benefit from the extended sight radius and the longer barrel together. Besides then you will have a new "pride & toy" to post about and the magazines will interchange :D Besides.....you know you REALLY need it to round out your collection :wink:
Thats kind of what I was thinking but please talk me out of the 4" gap in the trading post it's such a buy 350 and no transffer fee he is in MI.
Please stop me if I buy and wife finds out it would be really bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hm...trying to imagine a service XD with an extra 1" of barrel sticking out of the front. That'd look like an UZI. Don't know about performance or if it'll actually work right, but it'd look pretty cool! 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I were you I would save your money until you can purchase a Tactical in the same caliber as your service model. This way you can interchange magazines. The tactical is the better design for target shooting anyway. Your subbie is your better carry choice and I would use the service as your home defender/carry armament. Although there is nothing wrong with having multi calibers of firearms, I think that the 9mm is a better all around use round when you consider that the cost factor of plinking. Target practice is exactly that..... PRACTICE..... and a .45 GAP or a .40 is a whole lot more expensive to plink with than a 9mm.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WARHEAD'Z said:
If I were you I would save your money until you can purchase a Tactical in the same caliber as your service model. This way you can interchange magazines. The tactical is the better design for target shooting anyway. Your subbie is your better carry choice and I would use the service as your home defender/carry armament. Although there is nothing wrong with having multi calibers of firearms, I think that the 9mm is a better all around use round when you consider that the cost factor of plinking. Target practice is exactly that..... PRACTICE..... and a .45 GAP or a .40 is a whole lot more expensive to plink with than a 9mm.
Thats why I bought a dillon reloading press I can shoot pp ammo almost as cheap as hard ball.Still would like to stay with 40 but that 4" gap is so cheap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts