Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I'm running the 16# Recoil spring in my Tactical and its great. I would like to run the same weight in a 4" Service not for recoil control, but to just make it easier for my son, 12 y/o, to manage the slide. He has a new XD9 and it's a little hard for him to work the slide. It's an issue when he's loading at the start and clearing at the end of a stage.

Should I just cut a 16# spring for the Tactical???

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I dont have a tactical or a solid guide rod but I would think that if the guide rods in both guns are the same length then you could use the same 16 lb. spring. The lighter spring may help with recoil reuction too so it may be a win win situation. I went to a 17 lb. in my Sig 229 .40 (factory is 19 lbs.) and it tends to keep the gun flatter on recoil. most competative shooters go to lighter recoil springs to increase slide speed and help flatten the guns recoil.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check out www.pistol-gear.com they have it all and they are cheap. one of thos things that by the time you ruin a few springs to get it right you would have been cheaper to just buy one right away. at least thats the way it works for me

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I will be testing a new batch of springs for the Service model this week. By Friday, I should know the game! Cutting the spring will work, however it is best to use a spring that won't bind at its solid length.

OS

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have a 16# and 14# for poofy loads haven't tried the 14 yet but the 16# Works great I got them from
http://www.sprinco.com/springs.html
bucks for 2 shipped And cut it down .
If you look in Don's forum he has the specs.Or I can tell you how many coils I cut off was a 1911 spring leave 22 coils cut off 6
Sorry Old school

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
The Knight Of Light said:
What about wolff springs for the comander sized colts? Aren't they the same size? they have weights from 12-27lbs in conventional, and 7-21lbs in variable.
I talked with them twice, asking the same question. Each time they said, they don't go less than 18# on that size. Odd, I know.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
mattw said:
wait.. I'm confused. a lighter spring means less felt recoil? i would think it was the other way around...
Not really a lighter spring cause a sharper recoil feel. but a heavy spring may cause a muzzle dip from the slide slamming shutt but the recoil is spread over more time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts