1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a

XD-9 SC and an XD-40 SC

The 9 has a CC trigger job on it.

Can I take the complete slide of the .40 and put it on the body of the 9mm?

Basically, are the polymer body and inner workings of it the same between the 9mm and the .40?

I have actually put the .40 slide on the 9mm body and dry fired it with success but for obvious reasons did not use it other than to dry fire it about 5 times.

Can I do this or would is cause damage to the pistol and possibly me for any reason whatsoever?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
When in doubt, don't do it. Then again if you really need to know then I would give Springfield Armory a call or ask some XD "Guru" like AjamesP51 for example.

I am thinking there must be something different about the two pistols. Would the .40 have a beefier ejector? Larger locking block? Power steering with gullwing doors? :shock:

·
Registered
59 Posts
You have already answered your own question: you can and did. :wink:

Is it safe to live fire: my guess would be yes if it functioned normally for dry fire. Did you run snap caps through to see if they loaded and ejected? Was there any obvious visual differences between the two frames?

Wouldn't hurt to ask SA, but I believe the frames are identical. I would say they have a mold for the sub frame and one for the service/tactical frame.

·
Premium Member
21,744 Posts
ive swapped my 9mm frames around an had no problems what so ever , never owned a 40

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I know someone that did this with a 9mm service and .40 Tactical and it shot fine. Be aware however that the frame and slide wear into one another and if you change them around, you may cause premature wear on one or both components over time.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I cannot take my .40 slides and put them on my 9mm frame... the barrel lug appears to wide to fit into the locking lug.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ichy_trigger said:
I know someone that did this with a 9mm service and .40 Tactical and it shot fine. Be aware however that the frame and slide wear into one another and if you change them around, you may cause premature wear on one or both components over time.
I think you have a solid point ichy. This is what I was worried about more than anything and wanted to see if someone else had the same thoughts as me.

After thinking about it a bit more I have decided NOT to try it at the range even though I feel it would work ok.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah...I don't want to screw anything up....although it is a cool idea. When $$$ allows I will send the .40 to Rich and the slide to Ajames for a coat and a set of Meprolights. I was hoping to win a free finish of some sort but it doesnt appear to be in the cards. :( Woe is me...can you hear me over the violins?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts