Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my nephews birthday party yesterday at Chuck E. Cheese, walking in the front door into the entry way between the outer doors and the doors that actually go into the place there is a sign haning on the wall. It was the typical gun in the red circle with the line slashed through it and under it says "No Firearms Allowed". I am not carrying yet, waiting for my permit to get here, but I have MANY b-day parties that I go to here as I have a LARGE family. Can I walk past this sign, or is this the "legal" no guns sign?? BTW, I live in Colorado. If memory serves me this sign means nothing and I can ignore it as it is not an "official" sign...?? or am I wrong here?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Any business or person can tell you that guns are not aloud on their property and you legally have to obey or you can get into ALOT of trouble. No sign has to be "official" in any way. Even If it's written in crayon on a dirty napkin you still have to do what it says. Sorry, It sucks I know

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any business or person can tell you that guns are not aloud on their property and you legally have to obey or you can get into ALOT of trouble. No sign has to be "official" in any way. Even If it's written in crayon on a dirty napkin you still have to do what it says. Sorry, It sucks I know
lmao, what if there are pizza sauce stains on the napkin, and maybe a little kids booger? lol :rolleyes:

Figured I would check and see what you all thought. I will do some looking into it a little more for state specific but have a feeling that you are exactly right.

Thanks kd...

·
Registered
109 Posts
After Iowa became a shall issue state earlier this year many business owners and even the city I live in have put up the gun with red circle signs. mostly due to them feeling like it will turn into the old west.

Anyway the city passed an ordinance that prohibits weapons listed under current state law from any city owned property. This includes stun guns (more from me on that in a minute)

This does make it a punishable offense but not more than a simple misdemeanor for trespassing.

I would read up on your state and local laws.

Back to my earlier parenthesis. I live in a college town and by having a blanket policy i see itcan actually cause some harm if some college girl decides to have a stun gun in her purse for protection walking home from the bars or something at night. Essentially she could be ticketed just for trying to be prepared walking in the downtown pedestrian area that is considered city owned property.

I know there is talk of trying to get the ordinance overturned based on the state law here regarding what municipalities can and can't override with concernes to state law but I'm not sure how that is going.

Anyway find your state and local government website and read up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
lmao, what if there are pizza sauce stains on the napkin, and maybe a little kids booger? lol :rolleyes:

Figured I would check and see what you all thought. I will do some looking into it a little more for state specific but have a feeling that you are exactly right.

Thanks kd...

While that may be true for the state he's in, from the 10 seconds I spent googleing the CO law, it said that those signs have no legal backing. You will want to do some more research, and find out the actual law, and see what it says for yourself though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While that may be true for the state he's in, from the 10 seconds I spent googleing the CO law, it said that those signs have no legal backing. You will want to do some more research, and find out the actual law, and see what it says for yourself though.
I am/have been looking on the yahoo search and am finding squat...what did you use for your search terms??

Thanks Gnarlet!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
In general (you should check the CO laws exactly) a sign on private property means they can kick you out if you dis-obey. Trespass violation if you fail to leave when told to.

Then again, it's a CONCEALED weapon, they shouldn't notice!

Just be sure that your state didn't make it a criminal offense to carry in a place with a no guns sign.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In general (you should check the CO laws exactly) a sign on private property means they can kick you out if you dis-obey. Trespass violation if you fail to leave when told to.

Then again, it's a CONCEALED weapon, they shouldn't notice!

Just be sure that your state didn't make it a criminal offense to carry in a place with a no guns sign.
Roger that john_bud, thats what I'm working on doing but not finding much info. Looks like I will have to dive into the depths of the Colorado statutes to find anything...was really trying to avoid that...lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Start at handgunlaw.us. Look in the CO section. Find the law referenced down in the notes on signs.

They take the following to mean yes, signs have force of law.
(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
Found in CO statute 18-12-214
Legal Resources

But what does that really say? I'm not sure. I don't see any penalty that attaches. Does it just mean that if the owner determines you're carrying,they can demand you leave or be charged for trespassing?

ETA:
Check out the local organization's information, including a database of business that post.
http://www.rmgo.org/concealed-carry-guide

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
In some states the sign must meet certain requirements or it's not a legal sign. A the sign the op talks about was inside the building if I read it right. Shouldn't it be on the outside of the front door, before you enter?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(4) A PERMIT ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS PART 2 DOES NOT AUTHORIZE

A PERSON TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN INTO A PUBLIC BUILDING AT
WHICH
:

(a) S
ECURITY PERSONNEL AND ELECTRONIC WEAPONS SCREENING

DEVICES ARE PERMANENTLY IN PLACE AT EACH ENTRANCE TO THE BUILDING
;

(b) S
ECURITY PERSONNEL ELECTRONICALLY SCREEN EACH PERSON

WHO ENTERS THE BUILDING TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE PERSON IS
CARRYING A WEAPON OF ANY KIND
; AND

(c) SECURITY PERSONNEL REQUIRE EACH PERSON WHO IS CARRYING

A WEAPON OF ANY KIND TO LEAVE THE WEAPON IN POSSESSION OF SECURITY

PERSONNEL WHILE THE PERSON IS IN THE BUILDING.

Although Chuck E. Cheese does stamp your hand with a number when you come in as well as your kids and spouse so they know you are leaving with your kid there is no "security device, no screening device, and no one there to leave a weapon with. Though this does not say anything about the sign, I think it also says that unless there is someone there that is doing the stated things...I can carry...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In some states the sign must meet certain requirements or it's not a legal sign. A the sign the op talks about was inside the building if I read it right. Shouldn't it be on the outside of the front door, before you enter?
This sign was inside by the door. When you enter the building you go thru a door into an entry way, then there is another set of doors that you have to go thru to gain access to the business. This sign is posted between the two sets of doors (on the inside of the outter door, and outside the door that actually goes into the business)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Start at handgunlaw.us. Look in the CO section. Find the law referenced down in the notes on signs.

They take the following to mean yes, signs have force of law.
Found in CO statute 18-12-214
Legal Resources

But what does that really say? I'm not sure. I don't see any penalty that attaches. Does it just mean that if the owner determines you're carrying,they can demand you leave or be charged for trespassing?

ETA:
Check out the local organization's information, including a database of business that post.
Concealed Carry Guide - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners
Ahhh yes, reading further down the page and I find the quote you have on here...I also checked the RMGO site and also sent them an email on the subject. At the very least if their sign is legit, RMGO will contact them on it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If their sign couldn't stop Nathan Dunlop, I sure wouldn't let it stop you from protecting your family.

I know the little kids like it, but I've seen lot's of Parent of the Year candidates at Chuck-E-Cheese:sad:

I would play the fool and leave if asked to. Better to act dumb on the way out than be dumb on the way in.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If their sign couldn't stop Nathan Dunlop, I sure wouldn't let it stop you from protecting your family.

I know the little kids like it, but I've seen lot's of Parent of the Year candidates at Chuck-E-Cheese:sad:
LMAO...yea, there are some sketchy folks in there sometimes for sure...almost as good as some I have seen at the local Wal Mart.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Even if the sign isnt legal they can probably have you popped for trespassing if you're caught... not much different than here in OH, if you go into a building without a sign and are asked to leave then you have to or its trespassing, if they have a sign and you go in anyway its automatically trespassing... your call, if you want to carry that bad then skip the rat pizza joint IMO. I would rather spend my money on those who support the constitution anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts