Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle bought this and an old rifle and has no idea what he has. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what he has.

It said "Italy" on the bottom of the grip and I thought I had a pic of that too but I can't find it.

Image Gallery

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Please don't quote me, but it looks very similar to a Llipietta mod. 1851. I believe it is an Italian made replica of a colt. Again, I could be wrong because I don't remember the 1851 having the levers on the side. If so I think they are 200 ish bucks in excellent condition.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Most of the Italian made cap and ball repros are decent shooters. I have an Armi San Marco 1851 Colt copy and it shoots just fine.

Whoever owned it before did not clean it after firing. Black powder is VERY corrosive.

The proof marks on that pistol definitely mark it as an Italian replica.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Seems like most Italian revolvers are poor made replicas. They can fire, but I would have a competent gun smith inspect it THOROUGHLY. They typically weren't built to Italian quality standards, hence the usually low value. They make great wall hangers though.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Lol, I agree. He picked it and an old mauser (I think) up for $250 for both of them and figured it was worth that gamble.
Realistically he did okay. Mauser prices seem to float around the 200-250 mark. Usually fun to shoot. Just be careful with ammunition. Modern ammunition will work in some of the newer k98s but the bores are different sizes on different models. They likely will still shoot it, but they will kick like a beast from having to squeeze through. And you'd be puttinh unsafe stress on the barrel which could blow up in your face... Literally.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Most Mausers we see on the used market today are perfectly fine, shooting modern 8x57 Mauser ammo. The WWI and newer German 98 Mausers werre very strong actions and the chambers were standardized by that time. The earlier M1888 Mausers had .318" bores and THAT is where the trouble starts.

The usual German made K-98 Russian capture rifles, Czech VZ-24s and Yugoslavian variations are all safe to shoot with modern 8mm Mauser ammo. The Turkish Mausers are also GTG with modern 8mm ammo as well as most surplus 8mm you see these days.

I own about 12 Mauser variants and have studied them greatly. They are mostly well made, accurate, strong guns that are a hoot to shoot...especially the Swedish ones.

-brickboy240

1 - 10 of 10 Posts