Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

looking to buy an XD(M) .40S&W and currently doing research on the platform. I would like to hear from shooters who have shot both the XD and XD(M) in .40 for some real-world experiences and comparisons.

Thanks,
Z-

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've shot both and with the medium backstrap on the XDm they are basically identical. The reset on the XDm is a bit shorter and you don't have to dry fire the XDm for field stripping but in terms of how they actually shoot, it would take a real nit picker to find any difference. As for recoil, to me they were identical.

However, I happened to choose the XDm simply because I think that it looks better. I also like not having to dry fire to strip it but that wasn't make or break for me. The extra capacity is also comforting. However, if cost is an issue, get the XD. If the higher cost of the XDM isn't a problem, get the XDm because it really does look better and that extra capacity can really be helpful if you take up shooting competition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's my first post! I'll meet and greet later.

I've shot both, but own the XD 40.
The XD is a little shorter in overall length and 7 or 8 oz lighter.
IMO its a better carry weapon and potentially a CCW.

The XDm 40 mags will hold 16 rounds.
The XD 40 mags will hold 12 rounds.

The XDm 40 might be a better recreational/target pistol due to its 4 1/2" match barrel, shorter and lighter weight trigger pull, and more ergonomic grip.
This is why I just bought the XDm 9mm. With the less expensive ammo, it will become the gun I more commonly plink and target shoot with.

My XD 40 with tactical light/laser and greater knock down power is for carry and home defense.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've owned 10 XD's of various calibers and sizes and 1 XD-M.

Several of my XD's and the new M have all been Springerized with trigger work, sights, extended mag release, etc.

I have to say that this new M is more accurate than any of my XD's.
Scott at Springer says it's just because of the way it fits your hand.

I dunno if it's that, the match grade barrel or a combo of both, but I am definitely liking it. It's my new IDPA gun for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I own both the XD-40 and XDm-40. I like them both and for my level of recreational shooting there is little difference. I would suggest you try them both out and then choose the one that fits your hand and your budget :) the best.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
We own the XDM 9 and 40, and our daughter owns the XD-45. They all shoot great, but she really like the high capacity mags on the XDMs. It's kinda nice on the target range to have a few more bullets, but if you're buying it for home defense, you might like the high capacity mag, too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i've owned the xd 40 tactical and currently own the xdm 40. the xdm is much easier to shoot for me with the smallest backstrap and the trigger, while not a "great" trigger is still better than the stock xd 40 trigger. Having said that, I've never had a problem with the xd40 trigger.

I carry the xdm and don't have any problems concealing it. It is a little on the heavier side, but it doesn't bother me.

Accuracy: well, I did well to shoot bottles and cans and 4" groups at 25yards with my xd 40 tac. xdm I can shoot a soda can at 40yards 4/5 times with reloads and factory ammo. At 25yards I can put them in a 2" group.

maybe my shooting improved over the years, no doubt it has, but the xdm just seems to shoot really well for me. If cost isn't an issue I'd spring for the xdm unless you want something lighter and smaller for concealment.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
They're pretty darn similar. I just got my XDM9 Saturday and although I know its a 9mm compared to my XD45's .45 the overal funtion and feel is very similar.
Personally I like my XD45 better but I have competed with it, it was my first handgun, and the new grip tape I put on made it perfect in my eyes.
That's not to say I don't like the XDM, I love it!

Its win-win. When I go to the range its like deciding which one of two hot girls to date first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts