Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's kind of a dumb question, but is there potentially any extra wear or risks you take when unloading as quick as possible? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Your barrel will get good & hot, and I can imagine that if you load up a couple dozen mags and run them all through as fast as you can you might start having some issues with thermal expansion of parts...but I doubt you'd have any real problems.

Blast away (safely)!

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
I know it's kind of a dumb question, but is there potentially any extra wear or risks you take when unloading as quick as possible? Just curious.
And the reason for this would be...?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't understand your question. If you are just talking about rapidly firing your pistol.. that Is perfectly safe.. well.. I should qualify that.. Make sure you rapidly fire your gun at something that you aren't goint to hurt.

If you are just talking about taking the bullets out of your magazine.. I don't see any problem with that.

Raymond

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frenchy said:
Firepower_426 said:
And the reason for this would be...?
Because sometimes at the range you'll see someone with 30 round mags going bezerk for 2 or 3 mags... I'm always wondering if their doing anything harmful.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jrdwiz said:
Think about full autos...

I don't see how it could do any hard.
Of course, but I figured there's some differences between full autos and semi-autos. There was a full-auto Glock, but there was a few differences between it and a stock G17 (I believe that's what it was based on).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I saw a magazine article once where they took a M16 with a silencer and ran mag after mag after mag through in full auto till the silencer turned cherry red,,,,,,,in the end they said it caused the silencer nor the gun any problems.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ever watch a USPSA or IPSC match? 32 round course can be fired in several seconds depending on the target arrays. Shoto it up, you wont hurt it. The only difference between full auto guns and semi is the fire control parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
h4444 said:
I saw a magazine article once where they took a M16 with a silencer and ran mag after mag after mag through in full auto till the silencer turned cherry red,,,,,,,in the end they said it caused the silencer nor the gun any problems.
After a few hundred rounds like that you will destroy the barrel and start eroding the baffles of the silencer.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Can any harm be done by unloading as quick as possible?

No harm has been done to any of my SKSs nor AKs.

Granted, they do get hot, do not touch. I always lay
them aside after three or more 30 round mags thru
and shoot another, allowing 'cool down' time in between
BLASTING.

That is part of the fun in owning these machines. To
steal part of Santa's thunder, BLAST AWAY, BLAST
AWAY, BLAST AWAY all.

Enjoy anything you have and do not worry about
how fast you shoot it. Just keep it clean and lubricated.

Ed

·
Registered
603 Posts
Can any harm be done by unloading as quick as possible?
I don't think any harm will come to your XD... but I'd think you'd be harming whatever all those bullets are hitting! :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
just make sure to have fun and at least touch your target. i know a guy who starts off his range session by rapid firing a couple mags or until the rangemaster comes and tells him "did you read the sign, no rapid fire" at the indoor range. he does this to "loosen up".

for me, i'm just trying to get double taps down. just kidding...okay i'm not kidding. :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
Of course, but I figured there's some differences between full autos and semi-autos. There was a full-auto Glock, but there was a few differences between it and a stock G17 (I believe that's what it was based on).
The only difference between a Glock 17 and a Glock 18(full auto) are the parts in the G18 that make it full auto. And that is the plate in the slide that you remove to get to the firing pin etc.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just to throw a wet blanket on things, I have seen very rapid SEMI-auto fire heat a barrel to the extent that it set the stock on fire, it was very common in WWII for Garands to light up after shooting, and I have set mine smoking a time or two.

If the barrel can get hot enough to set the wood on fire, then it is hot enough for major erosion and other things to happen with repeated firing, at least faster than it would with a cold gun.

That said, it probably won't do much harm unless you make a very common habit of it - once in a while just for fun is not going to break your gun.

Watch some of the videos of full auto fire sometime, and pay special attention to the way the tracers go down range. See the ones that look like they might have ricocheted off of something, but they haven't gotten near anything yet? Most often this is in gun camera videos.

They are bullets that are yawing in the air due to inadequate stabilization, usually caused by excessive wear of the barrel, brought on by firing it to beyond the point of overheating. And BTW, the tracers are only every third or fifth bullet, so that means the ones you can't see are probably doing the same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts