Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XD-9.

A few weeks ago I fired 250 rounds of PMC at the range with zero problems.

Then today I wanted to test some JHP ammo that I would be keeping at the house and I think it was the 3rd or 4th round in the mag I was cold and taking a long time to line up my shot and would pull the trigger very slowly and even release slightly half way through the pull to realign my sights then then I finished the pull and I heard the pin click but round didn't fire.

I waited a few seconds, dropped the clip and checked the round and there was a pretty deep dent on the primer although slightly less deep than my spent shells, besides that the bullet looked fine.

So now I am worried because it was WWB JHP which I hear is supposedly very reliable. After that misfire I fired 30 more JHP with no problems then another 150 WWB FMJ with no problems.

So is it more likely a dud bullet or could of my crappy trigger pull caused the firing pin to jam half way? If I am worried about this ammo for self protection is there top of the line brand I could be considering?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would chalk the misfire up to a bad primer, certainly not the pistol or a problem with your trigger pull. WWB is usually pretty reliable, but it is still mass produced, budget ammo. There's always gonna be a few duds.

As far as a good self defense round though, I would definitly spend the cash and get good quality ammo. Cor-bon, Hornady, Speer Gold Dot, and others are good rounds. When it comes to a good self defense round consider this; you won't be shooting that ammo alot at the range so cost is only a one time thing. Plus you want a proven high performance round to work in a self defense situation. WWB JHP would be ok in a pinch, but like I said before, its budget ammo.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
what does the primer look like on the dud?

i dont possibly see how the trigger pull could cause this... the gun either firers or it doesnt if you pull a trigger half way it the same as not pulling it at all as far as the bullet is concerned.

i say its just a bad primer. it happens even with good ammo just not as often

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
yep primer failure... And like the other guys said, the sear either releases the striker or it doesn't... there is no "Softness" to it...

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
How cold? There is at least SOME chance that you had something in the striker channel that thickened up in the colder temps. Dud round/hard primer is much more likely though.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
probably a dud. obviously, when you pull the trigger, the gun fires. Since subsequent rounds were good, probably a dud. I use Hormady 124g JHP as my cc ammo.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
ammo choice:

well my personal choice in my guns is buffalo bore ammo with a speer gold dot. in my xd40 i use a 180 grain gold dot going at 1100 fps. their ammo is very hot, another good choice if your looking for powerful and reliable ammo is double tap ammo.

but any premium ammo should be good. the cops in my town carry Speer gold dots. so if it is good enough for them its good enough for them its good enough for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
How old is the firearm? I just purchased a XD45 and had a couple of misfires and after studying the forum I disassembled the slide and cleaned the firing pin. No more misfires. From the comments here the firing pin needs to have the preservative removed and to be adequately lubricated.

YMMV.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was pretty cold. Is there really a factory grease on the firing pin that can thicken in the cold? I had only cleaned it once before and didn't oil the firing pin at all. Even though it seems very likely that it must have just been a dud.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
If you try and lube the striker make it extremely light and maybe try a dry lube.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I also am of the opinion of it being a dud. I have run my XD in freezing temps, my buddies Tahoe thermometer read 1 degree during one shooting session!!! It never missed a beat. So possibly cold and grease or something gumming it up but like I said, my gut reaction, dud!!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If the gun was already running good... and it all of a sudden got a dead primer or whatever it was, then kept running good it was almost definately a dead primer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts