Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the WASR-10's are not that accurate...however are there any AK-47 models out there that are comparable to the accuracy of a AR-15? If so what are they? What about custom made AK-47's?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm sure with a lot of work they could be (custom barrel, trigger work, sights/optics) but the 5.56 round is inherently more accurate (over distance) than the 7.62X39 round.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would Arizona Response Systems be able to make a very accurate AK rifle? Anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know the WASR-10's are not that accurate...however are there any AK-47 models out there that are comparable to the accuracy of a AR-15? If so what are they? What about custom made AK-47's?
Hmm.. well. Is there some AK-47 that's as accurate as some AR-15? I'm sure there is. Is the most accurate AK as accurate as the most accurate AR? I seriously doubt it.

The accuracy of an AR-15 can vary a lot. Barrel length, caliber, rifling, etc will determine the accuracy. I'm sure the same is true with AKs... so it's hard to compare without specifying a particular AK and AR setup.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I guess my question is, what AK-47 or AK-74 is the most accurate and how accurate is it? Grouping wise.
Why is high accuracy so important to you? My advice is to use the right tool for the job.

If you want high accuracy, buy a highly accurate gun. That's not an AK.

If you want a reliable gun, buy an AK. It's more than accurate enough for the purpose for which it was designed - out to 150m close quarter combat. The 7.62x39 ballistics are sufficiently powerful that it's going to make a mess of whatever it hits. And it will go and go and go without babying.

For accuracy out to a greater distance, an AR will be a finer tool but it is a lot more fussy than an AK.

For even greater ranges, I would go with a larger caliber. Depending on your purpose, probably something like 7.62 NATO, .308 etc

I don't know the answer to your precise question - I think Einheit is the man who would know.

As I say, the intended purpose will determine the right gun/caliber for you.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
First of all, define accurate...or what is accurate enough?? The AK-74 can hold its own against an AR to about 100 yards. After that, the AR takes over in grouping size. As far as hitting a man in the chest at 200m, 300, 400, up to 500m-sure, the AK will do it-no where as easy as with an AR, but the AR was designed for accuracy first-the American style of shooting. The AK is just a big sub machine gun designed to do 2 things-send up as much lead as possible while maintaining control and to survive. the AK hasn't evelved much other than differing calibres. Again, define accurate...

small bore target at 250m with iron sights, two fliers (my fault)..15 shots..

300m on iron sights...left target is with 7.62x39 and the right target is from 5,45x39.5

300m with my AR180..give credit when its due...they are accurate...

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
small bore target at 250m with iron sights, two fliers (my fault)..15 shots..

300m on iron sights...left target is with 7.62x39 and the right target is from 5,45x39.5

300m with my AR180..give credit when its due...they are accurate...
I'd be content with that. Nice shootin' there, Tex! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I wonder how a dragunov would perform against the AR. ;)
they would group about the same if both are scoped. the SVD isn't a dedicated 'sniper' rifle, its a marks mans rifle like the Remington 700s that the police use around here. they can be very accurate, but not a consistent tack driver. the SV-98 is Russia's 'sniper' rifle for 'standard' calibre arms-either 7.62x54R or 7.62x51 NATO

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
how would you rank the three eineheit.

ak in 5.56, i have a saiga, but you could use a arsenal, or old norinco in 5.56 if it matters.

a regular ak, say just a regular off the shelf common one. Your pick, in 7.62x39

vesus mid level AR m4, no heavy barrel, nothing fancy.

or how about the ar15 in 7.62x39

just curious how you would rank the 4 in a range of about 200 yards.

to the poster, you can see from einheits shooting the ar15 isnt dead nutz every time, and the AK isnt shooting at the feet and hitting air, and missing by a mile.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
AR in 5.56, AK in 5.56, AR in x39, AK in x39.
The problem is with the sight radius...make them equal, along with barrel twist rates and same ammo...we'd be talking about fractions of an inch with the 5.56 hole showing tighter groups than the x39-again, it would come down to about a 1/2" victory. the main problem would be the ammo consistency. i mean, the M43 Russian x39 round isn't as accurate as the M67 Yugo version. Luckily all x39 ammo made today, besides the Military classic, is based on the M67. Typically, about 150m is where you see the AKs groups start to open up. Does that mean anything, no, i can still place all 30rds on a man sized target at 400m...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My Arsenal SLR-106FR (5.56x45/223), scoped with a fixed 8x soviet block scope, will shoot right around MOA with Match ammo/reloads and when the shooter is doing his part (which ain't as easy as it once was). It is by far the most accurate AK I have ever fired. However, with most AKs, it depends on the ammo you feed it and it also depends on the quality of the build when it rolled off the assembly line. I have heard others say that their SLR-106 rifles are only capable of 3MOA with non-match and surplus ammo and just under 2MOA with match. Again, lots of variables to consider, but the AK was never designed as a designated marksman rifle or anything other than a standard battle rifle wherein accuracy is not measured in Minutes of Angle, but in Minute of Man. Most AKs are capable to Minute of Man accuracy out to 300 yards/meters...some further...some less.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I've heard that the action of the AK exerts forces during recoil that makes the AK less accurate.

I'm no physicist or firearms expert, just a layman.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts