Springfield XD Forum banner

Camp shovel

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  oldblazer 
#1 ·
I need a shovel to take car camping or a short backpacking hike to my site. It's mostly going to be used to dig a Dakota fire pit or for a bathroom.

Gerber Gorge seems to have people on youtube who like it, but not on Amazon

U-Dig-It trowel

Gerber E tool (some reviews say it is just as good as the military)

Military E tool

Between these which should I buy? I already have the cold steel, but want another type.

#3 ·
I have some cheap think similar to the military, but the handle is a D handle that folds in half as well. I used to store it under the seat of my Wrangler. Not what I'd want for a Zombie uprising, but it served its purpose well, and was cheap.

#8 ·
Settle for nothing less, and go for "Perfection".

GLOCK USA

#9 ·
Settle for nothing less, and go for "Perfection".

GLOCK USA
lol, for a second there, i thought you were suggesting a glock handgun for an E tool because it was a glock so it must be the best at everything.

my input: i have an old military Etool and its been woorking great for the last 10-15 years.
its a bit rusty, but still sturdy and runs great.

come to think of it, i think i may give it a rebuild, powder coat it, and lube all the hinges soon.

#12 ·
i take very little care of mine,
my gov etool is designed to stand some abuse.
i would worry that a home depot shovel might be designed to be kept in a tool shed.
i mean, does the home depot shovel work good as a;
shovel,
pickaxe
saw
frying pan
hatchet
seat
shelf
these are some of the things i have used my etool for.
the blade locks in 180 or 90 degrees so that adds to the benefit.

#13 ·
i would worry that a home depot shovel might be designed to be kept in a tool shed.
I would agree unless reflecting on experience. When I was in the "sandbox", and it came time to dig holes, we went right for the recovery shovels and picks on our vehicles. Etools are great, but are inept as shovels.

On the other hand, for what he has stated as his use, I don't see a HD shovel weighing less than a good etool. If I was going to the bush with a vehicle, certainly a shovel gets the call. Hiking, would be a etool. If weight is the worry, I'd go with a http://www.constructiongear.com/fis...=22942695690&gclid=CNKc9sTbur4CFcpcMgodFFkAlg

#15 ·
Glock Gerber or sog.

What handle config do you like? Perks to both.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

#16 ·
I would agree unless reflecting on experience. When I was in the "sandbox", and it came time to dig holes, we went right for the recovery shovels and picks on our vehicles. Etools are great, but are inept as shovels.
http://www.constructiongear.com/fis...=22942695690&gclid=CNKc9sTbur4CFcpcMgodFFkAlg
agree.
a jack of many trades is usually a master of none, but if you need a little of each, then the short handle might be an ok compromise to make if it means portability in a kit or pack

#17 ·
The e-tools are great as long as you don't have to dig a hole any bigger than about 4 feet deep by 3 feet by 3 feet.

Any bigger than that, and I'd probably carry a shovel.

I keep an aluminum handled military surplus e-tool in each vehicle, just in case. I haven't broken either of my personal e-tools, but I have seen a few broken at the hinge by Marines.

The aluminum handled e-tool was replaced in the military by one with a polymer handle a few years ago. Maybe it was a gerber, maybe not. I don't know if that one has been replaced since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.