Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to know how you feel/felt about your ownership of an XDM and preferably a 4.5" barrel chambered in .40.

My take:
I have seen the reviews and done some research (have not scoured this forum yet, this post is a copy paste from my walther forum) and I know I want to start looking for a double stack mag's capability and the XDM in .40 certainly has a great amount of led holding ability. I want to know what you are willing to say, the .02 you want to chuck into my wishing well. The good, the bad, and the UGLY.

(since this was looking for owners on the other forum, and there are obviously owners here, please feel free to help me with links as well that I can scour, as I am not lazy but tired right now :-?)

My function for the gun:
I really like the platform, and for me, I want a .40 because I have a 9mm currently in the PPS. The XDM would serve me as a range gun, maybe my intro to competition (I would not be competing, per se, but I like the set up and the growth competition platforms provide shooters), maybe even a duty gun later on....It could serve as a home defense gun although a shotgun, for me, is better served in that regard.

Thanks for your .02 and hopefully I can get a dollars worth

(Please be gentle because I love this forum and usually this forum shows up when I search on google for answers to my questions)

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have a 4.5" in .40 cal.

I love the round and I love the weapon. I have had 1 fail to feed on a Remington UMC because of a deformed hollow point I didn't notice when I was loading mags.

I don't have the rounds through mine that others on here have through theirs though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had one in OD green for about six mo that. The guns was completely reliable. Ate whatever I fed it. It was more accurate than I was by far. Felt awesome in the hand and wasn't as bulky as a .40 with a 17 round mag could've been. A little long in the grip for conceal carry. Ergo was awesome. The only reason I got rod of it as because it was ID green and I wanted a black gun for duty carry. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had mine for 3 years and love it. I've had zero failures and carry it daily (with the right holster it's comfortable). People complain about the trigger, but I prefer the Xdm trigger over the Glock's. The grip could use some texturing with the .40, the grooves don't provide as much purchase as I'd like.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to see the "good" you guys have mentioned. I am not particularly picky about my pistols just yet as I am really just starting to buy but I personally like the firearm. I remember the gun was too large for me to conceal carry and I sort of deflected to my PPS as a CCW but now I am wanting a pistol in a different caliber, I will next expand to the .45 in a 1911 (most likely Ruger SR 1911 or S&W PD 1911 but that is a story for a different time ;))

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to see the "good" you guys have mentioned. I am not particularly picky about my pistols just yet as I am really just starting to buy but I personally like the firearm. I remember the gun was too large for me to conceal carry and I sort of deflected to my PPS as a CCW but now I am wanting a pistol in a different caliber, I will next expand to the .45 in a 1911 (most likely Ruger SR 1911 or S&W PD 1911 but that is a story for a different time ;))
Rereading your first post, I have to add that I think the xdm 4.5 can serve all your needs well EXCEPT for competition. Reason being with competition i like a very light trigger that usually only comes with custom modifications. And i thInk it's a legally speaking bad idea to use a gun with that type of mod for self defense. My 4.5 .40 is just that, completely stock. I COULD compete with it, but would prefer something else. My 5.25 in 9 is going to be all kinds of modded however :razz: For comp, the 5.25 would be better

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The caveat to "competition," for me though, is that I just enjoy the platform and the set up of a competition over punching paper at the range. I really have less interest in actual "competing," so while I agree there are better options out there (as you said, even off the same platform) I don't want to be competitive...I want to benefit from the style of shooting/added stress competition puts on. So in effect, the 4.5 sounds like, to some degree, it can do all of my needs...I would love for more response though as to the general ownership, pros and cons, reliability (though Springfield has great customer service from what I read), things to look for when buying (Ex. certain, if any, changes made throughout the production), etc. etc.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I have a 4.5 40. Several thousand rounds. I added a PRP trigger kit which really wakes the gun up. Did a fair bit of smoothing of metal parts to further increase trigger enjoyment. Recently had a fail to strike issue related to the striker safety lever. New lever was sent out (free) from the company. Very slightly different geometry and it works perfectly again with it. I'm ok with that for a range gun, but have taken a different stance on mods and carry guns. Also added tungsten rods to the inside of the guide rod. That adds a few oz of nose weight. Why? Really reduces muzzle flip. The gun is a bit nose heavy when the mag is out, but feels perfect with a full stack. It also is super easy to keep on target for 2nd shots.

I've had a couple of failures that were in the "other" category. If you are in fine powder sand, don't drop your full mag in it so it gets totally covered with sand. It won't feed well until you clean it out. (duh). Only other failure was from Tula ammo failing to feed. Only 1 box out of 10-12 had the issue and it had 2-3 failures to advance the rounds up the mag. The rounds in the box did have a gritty feel to them, so maybe somebody in Russia dropped a batch on the dirty floor?

The recoil, flip and blast of the 40 is different. At first it makes accurate shooting more difficult, but after you get past that -- the gun is nuts on. I was carrying in the woods and was resting in a tree stand. Looked at a 10" diameter tree 70 yards out in the field and said .... hmmmm... I wonder. Bang! Sure enough, dead center. You do your part and the gun will do it's part.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I had an xdm .40 4.5.. I loved it but the time came where I got a cpl then bought an xd45c and I couldnt justify paying the same price for ammo for both calibers. so it went bye bye. and tbh I loved the xdm but if I were to buy it again .. id get an xd ( I prefer the slide and the rear sights of the xd over the m.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, while competition was comented on, what sort of class would an XDM in either 9mm or .40 fall under? I am new to that realm of ownership, as previously mentioned, but I don't want to compete as much as gain experience but it would be nice, on the other hand, to not buy the gun and be forced to compete against the super tricked out, kitted 1911's. . . . .not a big issue though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im ordering my XDM .40 4.5 on Monday. Going to use it as a home defense/range gun. Ive read so many good things about it so im excited.

TLR-3 light and some red night sights will be slapped on. Its gonna be nice. :D

·
Premium Member
22,590 Posts
I bought mine when they first came out and still lovin' it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had one and liked it, but I think I liked the XD service I had better. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad about the gun, the regular XD just felt better. I have sold both ( and turned a profit on both I might add). the XDm seemed to not point as natural as the service model.

·
Registered
749 Posts
couple thousands thru mine. No problems. Great gun, but a little heavy for CCW; more due to ammo weight that the gun itself. I put a Pachmeyer rubber grip on mine and like it better that way. The trigger felt a little heavy when I got it and the slide lock is kinda difficult until you get used to reaching it. With a full magazine it is almost impossible to release the mag with one hand, but I always load one round from the mag anyway.

For the money I don't think it is really that much better that the standard XD or XDsc. You should consider that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a XDM 4.5 40 and I love it. I've used it for concealed carry, home defense and competition. While I now use a XDM Compact for concealed carry, the 4.5 40 is a great all around gun.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a couple hundred rounds through mine and still love taking it to the range every time. Need to go again soon, now that I think about it. The grip is perfect for me out of the box, and with practice, I've become fairly accurate.

The only "bad" I can think of: Remington UMC. My gun can't stand it. Failure to feeds, and when they do fire off, they "spark" out of the barrel more than any other ammo I've ever seen.

The good: Federal bulk ammo (from wally world) shoot sooooo perfectly in it. Never had one failure to feed, fire, or eject with it and it's cheaper than any other ammo (short of Tul, which sucks) by far.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the only mods I've made are the SS Guide Rod (Don's Guide Rods) and that did help the muzzle flip a bit, plus it looks sexy as hell.

I'll probably have this gun the rest of my life. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I could sell it without taking a loss, I would. I would have preferred the compact version instead. It's two guns in one because of the mag extension and the barrel length doesn't mean anything in a self defense situation.

I bought the XDM .40 in 4.5 on 9/27/11 and then bought the XDM 9 compact on 10/27/11. I'm not unhappy with the 4.5, I just wish i had thought it out a little longer. If they made the 4.5 with the ability to use short and long mags, that would have been the way to go.

I will probably buy the xdm .45 compact after a few people review it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the XDM40 and XDM45 and they both are great,I reload everything but they are real easy to find an accurate load for,basicaly everything shoots good.I have PRP trigger kits in both and wouldn't be without them.I also have two Storm Lake conversion barrels for my 40 ,one .357Sig and the other in 9mm (for about $175 you basically get another gun) and the gun work great with all of them.The .357Sig caliber is a perfect match for this gun.I have to purposely try just to miss .My next gun is going to be a XDM9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned mine for just over 2 years and think it is by far they best polymer pistol on the market. The combo of stopping power and capacity it perfect. I did have 2 FTF the first time I took it to the range. I pulled it apart and lubed it and have not had a single hiccup since. I've put over 700rds through it in the past month, with cheap tulammo with not one issue. It truly eats everything.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, I am glad to see some varience here.

I actually would not use the firearm for concealment but I am learning from the experience you guys are offering giving the weight of the gun+a full mag.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts