Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the LGS for one thing today and came away with this 91/30, my very first one. It wasn't one of the hex receiver ones I keep on hearing about, but this one looked really clean in the shop compared to other war-production examples I've seen before...and I haven't even tried cleaning off any of the cosmoline yet. I checked both the firing pin and headspace, and it passed those initial tests before I bought it. Hopefully this thing shoots well. What do y'all think? Anything else besides thoroughly cleaning off the cosmoline I should do with this thing before firing it? Thanks for looking.

$20140707_135157_resized.jpg

$20140707_155911_resized.jpg

$20140707_160120_resized.jpg

$20140707_160246_resized.jpg

$20140707_160527_resized.jpg

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
russian made?
its a bit of a pain in the neck to get the hang of loading it, so practice that a bit, and bring a shoulder pad to the range.
that metal but plate aint no joke.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
russian made?
its a bit of a pain in the neck to get the hang of loading it, so practice that a bit, and bring a shoulder pad to the range.
that metal but plate aint no joke.
Think so...I think this is an Izhvesk(sp?) 1943 model...

·
Registered
69 Posts
log on to 7.62x54r.net and start reading. There is a wealth of information there. Both of mine shoot far better than I can see using the iron sights, very accurate rifles.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very nice looking 91/30. The bore looks darn nice! I think you did well, except there is one problem with Mosins. They have a tendency to multiply in the safe. I bought one and now have ten. :mrgreen: (includes varients).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice looking 91/30. The bore looks darn nice! I think you did well, except there is one problem with Mosins. They have a tendency to multiply in the safe. I bought one and now have ten. :mrgreen: (includes varients).
Yep...it appears that you were correct with the "multiplication" thing. I found myself so intrigued by owning an affordable, working piece of WW2 history that the day after I bought this one I started trolling for another nice Mosin, and I found an excellent 1943 Tula round-receiver 91/30. I was looking for a hex receiver, but it appears that people are charging too much of a premium nowadays for those. I gathered that 1943 Tula 91/30s are not as common as the Izvehsk examples, so I was happy with finding this Tula. Now I have one from each arsenal. I guess I'm getting into the Mosin game very late, but oh well....

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I polished the bolt surfaces on my M44 when I got bored this winter...used some 1500 grit wet/dry with a couple drops of 10w30...it made a world of difference on the bolt throw and smoothed it out a lot...

Only takes an hour or so...worth the effort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts