Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You know, I can actually think of a practical application for a suppressor:

What if you lived in a rural area, but you still had neighbors that could hear you shooting. If you had a Class III gun (say an Uzi, MP5, Mac-10, etc.) but you didn't want everyone knowing you had a machine gun (i.e., let everyone know where to go to try to steal a machine gun), you could suppress it, shoot all day, and none would be the wiser.

Now I need to think of a practical application for a submachine gun. :)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
OK, this is a subject that REALLY offends me. Why do those that claim to support the right to keep and bear arms think that it only means the arms that THEY personally approve of? Why is it OK to own a deer rifle, which is potentially more lethal than a silenced handgun? I mean, why would someone in AMERICA of all places need a .375 H&H, when they could use a 30.06? Why?

Before the board was wasted, we had a similar thread, and I got similarly riled up. I can think of numerous reasons to own a supressor, all of which are legal. By stating that you can't think of a legal reason to own one, you're taking the same stance that Feinstein and the Brady folks did regarding the AWB. They couldn't see why anyone would need a magazine holding more than 10 rounds, or certain rifles based on cosmetic features. Since THEY didn't see a reason, to hell with those that do, ban 'em!

There isn't one firearm (or accessory in the case of supressors, etc) on the market now that can be legally purchased that should be banned. Every ban that has been put in place has slowly eroded at our rights, and set up for future bans of legitimate firearms. It also erodes the thought process of Americans, making them believe that "X" doesn't serve a useful purpose, therefore, it shouldn't be "allowed".

I'm not trying to start an arguement with anyone here. The person who questioned the usefulness of a supressor did state that they supported the right to own one, which is good. In the same breath, though, they questioned why. The problem with this line of thinking is that the question that came out was "Why?" instead of "Why not?" America, particularly young Americans, lack critical thinking skills. When we question and even dismiss the rights and freedoms that we have, it shows that we haven't thought deeply or thoroughly enough about the issue. Those decisions can and will prove to hinder future generations, just as decisions such as the NFA in 1934, the 1968 GCA, the 86 MG Ban (the FOPA), the AWB, and the list rolls on.

In short, please don't question why someone needs something that they have every right to own. That line of thinking has proved to be a slippery slope before.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok, now my interest is peaked.. I was interested in getting my xd9 sc threaded and purchasing a silencer. But I don't know if it's legal in VA or how I would go about finding out/doing it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If I had the money I'd do it. Between the new barrel, a good suppressor, and the tax stamp I'd be looking at something around $1K I think and that's just too much for me I'm afraid. At least for now...

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I don't know too much about them, but doesn't a silencer have a limit to how many rounds it can silence? You can't just shoot a case of ammo and not worry about anything. There are baffles inside that have to be changed out and as you continue firing the sound gets louder and louder up to a point where the silencer just turns out to be a ugly pipe attached to your pistol. Anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Hey Atkamano, did you get the work returned to you? It's been a long time now.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yeah, did you get your barrel back? Did he do the job right?

On the other note, silencers are really only suppressors and only work with subsonic ammo. There will stil be a substantial amount of noise, even though it is less loud then a regular gun. They also have a limited lifespan and need to be serviced/replaced when they break down. Shooting a full auto firearm with a supressor will just make the supressor useless in a very short time, they are not designed for autofire. I live in a state that allows ownership, but god help you if you use one and the authorities find out. Also owning one means a friendly inspection visit from the authorities once in a while to make sure you stay on the straight and narrow. Not wortht the trouble and expense in my book. But, hey, its your money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
well, I have still not received my barrel yet. The guy called me friday asking what thread he should do it with. I was like "I have no ****ing clue. Thread it for the evolution-40". He had a really good "hunch" as to which thread will fit the silencer......well that's great. Now the guy isn't even 100% sure which thread he has to do. just great.

He told me he will go ahead and do the one that he thinks will be the right thread, and if he's wrong, a part of the evolution-40 can be replaced to match that thread.

He said that he has everything set up and that it would take 30 min to do the entire thing. 30 min. And I have waited 3 weeks. wtf.

Anyways, when the thing arrives I will take some pics, and post it here.

*Should* arrive monday. He sent it UPS air on friday.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
atkamano said:
I think he's quite hillarious.

If he's not kidding, however, here's the answer:

A gun is LOUD. I like shooting. I don't like LOUD. Silencer=silence.

Shooting + Silence = Utopia

PS: I still need answers from you guys.... COME ON
There are no such things a silencers, only suppressors. Supressors still do not create silence, they are still pretty loud. I think you watch too many bad spy movies, maybe the ones with supressed revolvers, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
He told me he will go ahead and do the one that he thinks will be the right thread
:x OH NO! That sounds bad. I would have called some silencer people to make sure what thread size was appropriate.

and he said the work will be done in 30 minutes? I'm no machinist, but I hope this guy is all he says he is. I got my fingers crossed for you man. :shock:

·
Registered
176 Posts
don't know much about silencers. Does it thread to the outside of the barrel or the inside like a choke tube? If it goes on the outside do you need to do something with the slide?

I also have to give Captian Ray and others some support on this.Althouh one may have the right to own and use one, I think it lets it's self open to suspicion. As far as I know the only people I know myself who have silencers(or at least talk about it) are just the kind of people who I would not trust any futher then I can see them. The kind of people who that I kind of wish were not allowed to own a firearm. As for the noise of shooting, hell the big bang is the draw for lots of people. Where my folks lived a few years back they had a meeting amoung the neighbors about the guy down the road who it seemed that shooting was all that he did day in and day out. With the help of the town board they worked with him to put some limits on the length of time and the hours he could do his shooting. Just like owning a silencer, the amount of shooting this guy did, lent the nieghbors to suspicion. The fact that he has the property set up like a compound(high fence with auto gate, spot lights around the yard, and big dogs) did not help. Most people call it "the drug house" even when there is no proof to what the guy does. However that may explian how he can afford all the ammo he goes through.

So have your toys, but don't be surprized when it raises a few eyebrows.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Pinhole,

They make LOOK unsavory, but I might just let someone who legally purchased silencer and went through that whole background check babysit for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't care what they look like, hell I won't get any modeling deals. Some gal was telling my wife about how she didn't like the scumball coaching third base for my sons little league team. You got it, it was me. Never met the woman. But what I don't like is what seems to come out of their head. Maybe just talk but who knows.

Still wondering how they attach? Inside threads or out?

·
Registered
813 Posts
The barrel is extended beyond the slide, then threaded on the outside. the silencer screws on and rests up against the slide but doesn't engage it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Verm said:
The barrel is extended beyond the slide, then threaded on the outside. the silencer screws on and rests up against the slide but doesn't engage it.
Well then, who is making longer (non ported) barrels that fit the XDs?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.