Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys....

I sent in my xd40 barrel to be threaded by this guy called John Noveske, Advanced Amament recommended him to me.

When I asked him how long the threading process will take, he told me that as a courtesy for advanced armament recommending him, it would be a 7 day turnaround rate. (apparently it's a deal that they made)

Seven days after he received the pistol I called him to get an update on the process. At that point, he has not even touched the gun yet. He assured me that it would be done the next week.

Now it has been 8 days since I last called him. (I called him once) That's 15 days total. My question: Should I keep bugging him, or just let him go on for days, weeks, or even months?

What would you guys do?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,861 Posts
I think I'd call Advanced Armament and see if they know the guy who they are recommending is not holding up his end of the deal.
They may have a little pull in this situation.

bd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am putting a silencer on it.

The reason I am asking this quesiton is because I don't want to rush the guy. I want him to do the best possible job. However, I dont want to wait for months on end for the job to finish. THis is why I need your input guys!


HELP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Why are you putting a silencer/suppressor on it? I cant think of a single legal reason to have that. If you are shooting in town, stop that! I really don't understand why anyone would choose that piece of equipment.

Raymond
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Captain Ray, I hope you're being sarcastic....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he's quite hillarious.

If he's not kidding, however, here's the answer:

A gun is LOUD. I like shooting. I don't like LOUD. Silencer=silence.

Shooting + Silence = Utopia

PS: I still need answers from you guys.... COME ON
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my thoughts exactly....it's technically still "next week".... so i'll give him a call monday

i'll post the xd-40 with the suppressor when I get everything done with the ATF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
LOL, maybe just a little sarcastic.

Honestly though, I personally can't think of a good reason to put a silencer/suppressor on a perfectly good handgun that has such a distinctive "bang!"

I wouldn't get one for my pistol.. but I support everybody else's right to get one for theirs. As a practical matter, I don't see much sense in it.

Of course, I don't see much sense in getting one of those XML lights either.. Seems to me outside of LEO use, it doesn't really add anything to the functionality of the pistol.

Now, these are just my opinions, and rooted only in the manner that I use my pistol.. I have a flashlight, and I have ear plugs.. for me, that's pretty much all I need. You may have other needs that I am not taking into account.

Raymond
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
bubbastain said:
Maybe I should know this, but I don't. Why are you having the barrel threaded?
for the same reason some of us have more than 10 firearms... because we want to.

Do we need calapsable stocks, bayonet lugs, 50 cal. rifels that can take out a car at about a mile away? Do we need XD in ever caliber and size? Do we need a $2,500 1911? Not really, but we want them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Captain Ray said:
LOL, maybe just a little sarcastic.

Honestly though, I personally can't think of a good reason to put a silencer/suppressor on a perfectly good handgun that has such a distinctive "bang!"
One of the most common reasons a Class III dealer has brought up to me is the fact the new shooters (kids, ladies, etc.) are less intimidated by the experience.

Plus, if you are in a rural area, but not TOO rural (still have at least a FEW neighbors), you may use it as a courtesy to the folks living down the road. Especially if you shoot a lot.

Then, you have this reason: IT'S COOL!

Lastly, because you're legal entitled to in many states.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Suppo said:
Captain Ray said:
LOL, maybe just a little sarcastic.

Honestly though, I personally can't think of a good reason to put a silencer/suppressor on a perfectly good handgun that has such a distinctive "bang!"
One of the most common reasons a Class III dealer has brought up to me is the fact the new shooters (kids, ladies, etc.) are less intimidated by the experience.

Plus, if you are in a rural area, but not TOO rural (still have at least a FEW neighbors), you may use it as a courtesy to the folks living down the road. Especially if you shoot a lot.

Then, you have this reason: IT'S COOL!

Lastly, because you're legal entitled to in many states.
Those are all perfectly legitimate reasons, You will get no argument from me. For me, given my personal situation, I would have no use for a suppressor.. That's me though. I have the luxury of being able to drive for 10 minutes in any direction and find someplace to shoot without bugging any of my neighbors. Even so, I just don't see why I would need a silencer/suppressor outside of needing to shoot my pistol quietly... it's not a quiet sport.. it's noisy.

I bought Corina (my little girl) a rifle for precisely this reason. The noise does bother her.. so the Ruger 10/22 carbine, or the Baretta 21A-LR are weapons that she is more apt to shoot and not be scared. That is important to me. I don't want her to be scared of guns. I am fairly new to the sport, and I want her to have confidence that her guns are her friends... and that her friends better know that she has guns.

So what I am saying (and yes, I realize that I am rambling.. because hey man.. that's what I do..) Is that a suppressor has no defensive purpose that I can think of. Cool? Yes.. Useful? not..

Raymond
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Once a week is reasonable. Or request the barrel sent ack to you with a refund for the shipping costs you paid sending it to him
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Captain Ray said:
Why are you putting a silencer/suppressor on it? I cant think of a single legal reason to have that. If you are shooting in town, stop that! I really don't understand why anyone would choose that piece of equipment.

Raymond
Who cares. I would love to have a silencer to say I have a silencer. I rarely question peopels gun habits, or why someone wants something. If it is legal and useful, then by all means
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Pardon me while I go take an extra dose of blood pressure medicine.

Why is it that we react to objects emotionally? Just like the non gun owning public is being programmed to react with fear and loathing to images of firearms, we are being programmed to react the same way to certain guns.

Is the assumption that certain objects are evil in and of themselves so inbedded in our culture that even we, the victims of that assumption, believe it?

Things are just things, acts count. Rape, murder, arson, robbery = crimes. Guns, knives, silencers, saws, screwdrivers = tools.

As far as I'm concerned, you can have any tools you want. You are only responsible for what you choose to do with them.

Trivia note. Years ago I read that in the former USSR, one of the most popular murder tools was a common tree cutting hand saw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Captain Ray said:
...Even so, I just don't see why I would need a silencer/suppressor outside of needing to shoot my pistol quietly... it's not a quiet sport.. it's noisy.

So what I am saying (and yes, I realize that I am rambling.. because hey man.. that's what I do..) Is that a suppressor has no defensive purpose that I can think of. Cool? Yes.. Useful? not..

Raymond
You make a good counterpoint. When I went to my first indoor Class III range, they would let you rent items from their collection/inventory. The full autos sound AWESOME!!! Having a suppressor in this situation would be less exciting, IMHO. Besides, how often do you get to hear an AK roar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Suppo said:
You make a good counterpoint. When I went to my first indoor Class III range, they would let you rent items from their collection/inventory. The full autos sound AWESOME!!! Having a suppressor in this situation would be less exciting, IMHO. Besides, how often do you get to hear an AK roar?
"It's an AK-47 Assault Rifle,Sir; the preferered weapon of the enemy. It makes a distinctive sound when fired"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,705 Posts
Go to show you, I thought silencers were illegal in the U.S. Figured there was some federal law and if not, the states would have their own laws making them illegal.

:eek:
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top