Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I headed to the gun show today with my father in law who was in the market for a carry piece since acquiring his ccw. We walk around for a while checking out the goods when he spots the object of his hearts desire, a Kimber Crimson Carry. I guess he was in a good mood after that (he got a great price), because as we are walking around, I mention AR's to him. Neither of us has one, both of us want one. He is dead set on getting a RRA that has every option imaginable on it and of course none of those are to be had. I mention the Stag 2T I've been eyeing but no one had those either. I ask one dealer who has a 2T upper what my price would be with the upper, Stag lower, DPMS LPK, and DPMS buttstock. He adds it all up and it comes to $950 OTD. My Father in law says "Done!".

I am still stunned that this happened. I spent about an hour putting the lower together, and voila:

Gotta love the Aimshot red dot site :D. Also picked up Pmags for $20 each and a couple of hundred rounds of 5.56.

Can't wait to get to the range!!!

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Very nice, I just bought 3 lowers at a steal and can't wait to build my cash back up to start actually building them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, my FIL is a great guy. We tend to do a lot of stuff together seeing that we live less than a mile away. He actually took the CCW class with me, and is getting a family membership to a local gun club so that we can all go shooting together.

Only one sister in law and she is married, sorry :)

Now I'm jonesing to get to a range to make sure this thing goes bang. I do have one problem I'm working on, I can't get the take down pin far enough out that the upper detaches. I really want to run some CLP over the internals.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
so did he buy it for you? do you have to pay him back or is it a gift?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
so did he buy it for you? do you have to pay him back or is it a gift?
I'm not completely sure. It was one of those "Oh, just pay me back whenever" with a wink kind of things. He and I are very 2A conscious, and are both very aware that we may not be able to get AR's soon due to all of the panic buying. We already know that distributors are OOS and manufacturers are hundreds or thousands of rifles behind in orders.

Question, I just checked again and the price for everything was $886 plus tax it was $930 out the door. Good price for this stuff? Again, it is a Stag 2T Upper, Stag stripped lower, DPMS lower parts kit, and a DPMS AP4 stock (which is exactly the same as the stag one as far as I can tell).

·
Registered
87 Posts
given the current situation, I think you got a great deal, especially since it was at a gun show. I used to go to them because they had good deals, now it seems the place to get raped.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have one problem I'm working on, I can't get the take down pin far enough out that the upper detaches. I really want to run some CLP over the internals.
ARGH!! As it turns out, my lower parts kit had two pivot pins and no takedown pin. :evil: Having never owned or built an AR before I really didn't notice.

I guess I will order one unless I can find one locally.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
WOW congrats man, my FIL is pretty cool but not really into guns, he has a mauser rifle but hasn't shot it in YEARS, only brings it camping when in bear territory. Nice find, and looks like a great deal you got :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
hey mfs! im waiting for that same upper to come in lol i cant wait

how are the backup sights? what kind?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW congrats man, my FIL is pretty cool but not really into guns, he has a mauser rifle but hasn't shot it in YEARS, only brings it camping when in bear territory. Nice find, and looks like a great deal you got :D
I do feel lucky that we both seem to be getting the bug at the same time. He has tasked me with talking to the local gun club about family memberships :D

hey mfs! im waiting for that same upper to come in lol i cant wait

how are the backup sights? what kind?
The BUIS is a A.R.M.S 40L with two apertures. It seems solid, but I can't *really* say how good it is since I havn't had a chance to shoot the gun yet. It might be a couple of weeks before I get the chance :(. I have heard that some 2T's are coming with a different BUIS now.

The upper is really nice in my opinion, but I don't really know AR's so take that for what its worth. The Samson rail is very solid. Not sure what kind of lower you have, but the upper has zero wobble on the Stag lower, which makes sense I guess. I checked out a couple of other AR's at the show, and all of the Olympic's I picked up had play between the upper and lower. A couple of the DPMS's did as well. These were all way overpriced too, I think the Oly's were $1200+. The only AR that I handled that felt as good as this one was a LWRC, but of course that was $2000.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts