Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Welcome to the glorious world of California! I was wondering if the community could help me out and point me in the direction of a vendor that can assist me.
As we all know California has a round limitation on magazines of 10, all of the Xdm 40 compact magazines fall within this exclusion. I have contacted and confirmed with an FFL, that he is willing to accept mail ordered mags and charge me a fee to block them. The problem is finding a vendor that is willing to listen to me after i mention "California". We all know it is legal to own and have a XDM in california, we all know you have to limit the mags to 10 rounds or less, we all know an FFL has to assist in this... does anyone know a vendor?

its hard to combat and read thru all the FUD on the various sites. All the big sites i have contacted so far are unable to assist me, all just giving me a blanket NO. i have tried cheaper than dirt, pistolgear, and brownells. See below of pistolgears email:

We are not, sorry.

Kind Regards,
Pari
Team PistolGear
[email protected]
PISTOLGEAR | Springfield XD XDm Parts, Accessories, Magazines, Sights in stock

On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:28 PM, <i> wrote:

You are incorrect in that regard. They are legal to purchase via private party and Single Shot Exception.

You are correct in that they are not on the "california safe handgun roster", but they are not illegal to own in California

Regardless, are you able to assist in my purchase and shipment to an FFL?

On Monday, July 7, 2014 12:25 PM, PistolGear Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Even with magazines block, the XDM is not legal for ownership in CA unless you are law enforcement, at which point you can own full capacity magazines.

Kind Regards,
Pari
Team PistolGear
[email protected]
PISTOLGEAR | Springfield XD XDm Parts, Accessories, Magazines, Sights in stock

·
Registered
326 Posts
MidwayUSA.com??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MidwayUSA.com??
sold out, no backorder.

i just got off the phone with springfield, and they as well will not even send the magazines to an FFL in CA. they said they same thing as pistolgear " XDM not legal to own in california".

geeez

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Not sure about import or export restrictions, but maybe a Canadian company?

Also after a little GoogleFu, maybe Table Rock Arms? Looks like it's a company in OR that does SSE pistols. They may be able to get the mags, pin them and send them straight to you. And their website hasn't been updated in over a year.

Or find a gunsmith/FFL in another state that's willing to do the conversion?

Not a lawyer, so good luck.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
OK so... why are you looking for XDm magazines if you cannot own (and therefore do not posses) the handgun they fit into where you live in either configuration (single shot or factory)?

*EDIT*

wait a minute, i read that email chain wrong. so you can own an XDm in Cali, but it has to be converted to single shot only. is that right?

·
Registered
326 Posts
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:Uhmm?
I'm not allowed to put that website?

·
Registered
326 Posts
no.
It starts with arms and ends with lists.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Blocking magazines in CA has been illegal in CA since Jan 1 2014 unless it was already in your possession prior to that date. Any new standard capacity magazines coming into the state after Jan 1, 2014 is now a felony. Read the new laws that went into affect. Calguns has great info on them too. You are basically asking us all to commit a felony. Not that cool. The fact you found an FFL dumb enough to help you is even more ridiculous.

I would suggest taking yourself elsewhere with a request like this.

Penal Code section 32310 and 32311: In addition to the current restrictions on manufacturing, importing, selling, giving and lending large capacity magazines, the law now prohibits buying and receiving to the list of prohibited activities. Additionally, the law now prohibits a person from manufacturing, importing, selling, giving, lending, buying or receiving &#8220;large capacity magazine conversion kits.&#8221; A &#8220;large capacity magazine conversion kit&#8221; is a device or combination of parts of a fully functioning large-capacity magazine, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large-capacity magazine. Possession of large capacity magazines and large capacity magazine conversion kits are still not illegal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The conversion kits that this is about are the Rebuild kits. You are still able to purchase high capacity magazines that are blocked. There was another part of the law that included blocked or pinned magazine but that part didn't make it. You could try Hartatac or Charlie Cooper as they ship blocked magazines to Ca.

The SSE exemption is converting the firearm to fire as single shot pistol with the magazine well blocked . Once it is registered you can then convert it back to normal as there is no law that says you can't.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
The conversion kits that this is about are the Rebuild kits. You are still able to purchase high capacity magazines that are blocked. There was another part of the law that included blocked or pinned magazine but that part didn't make it. You could try Hartatac or Charlie Cooper as they ship blocked magazines to Ca.

The SSE exemption is converting the firearm to fire as single shot pistol with the magazine well blocked . Once it is registered you can then convert it back to normal as there is no law that says you can't.
All,

Welcome to the glorious world of California! I was wondering if the community could help me out and point me in the direction of a vendor that can assist me.
As we all know California has a round limitation on magazines of 10, all of the Xdm 40 compact magazines fall within this exclusion. I have contacted and confirmed with an FFL, that he is willing to accept mail ordered mags and charge me a fee to block them. The problem is finding a vendor that is willing to listen to me after i mention "California". We all know it is legal to own and have a XDM in california, we all know you have to limit the mags to 10 rounds or less, we all know an FFL has to assist in this... does anyone know a vendor?
He's not asking about SSE, he's asking for standard capacity magazines. You're off topic. While considering the law, how do you propose getting the standard capacity magazines into the state with no FFL exception written into said law? I'll say it again, what he is asking is a crime in California. He is correct, owning an Xdm in the state is legal. You just have to buy it, single shot it, but without magazines. He can buy pinned or blocked magazines from someone already in California but asking us to provide him with illegal magazines to ship into the state so he can have them pinned or blocked is a crime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was explaining the SSE conversion to people that might not know what it was. It is not against the law to import permanently blocked 10rd magazines into CA. CA penal code 16740 defines what a large capacity magazine is. AB48 banned conversion kits (rebuild kits) which were large capacity magazines taken apart.

Also a Ca FFL can apply for and receive a large capacity magazine permit and then be allowed to import large capacity magazines. I suggest the OP try one of those.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I was explaining the SSE conversion to people that might not know what it was. It is not against the law to import permanently blocked 10rd magazines into CA. CA penal code 16740 defines what a large capacity magazine is. AB48 banned conversion kits (rebuild kits) which were large capacity magazines taken apart.

Also a Ca FFL can apply for and receive a large capacity magazine permit and then be allowed to import large capacity magazines. I suggest the OP try one of those.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/CLIcmpapp.pdf
Any firearms dealership licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 26700 may apply for a Department of Justice (DOJ) Large- Capacity Magazine Permit to engage in the lawful importation and exportation of large-capacity magazines and the activities associated thereto as specified in Penal Code sections 32310 through 32450.
California Penal Code pg. 1219 | CHAPTER 5. LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE | Article 1. Rules Governing Large-Capacity Magazines (32310-32390) | Article 2. Exceptions Relating Specifically to Large-Capacity Magazines (32400-32450) California Law, California

The whole top part of your statement is helpful to what this guy is looking for in the end but it's not relevant to what he is specifically asking for now. So I'm not sure where the breakdown is coming from. He asked a question, I let him know his question is asking for something illegal to be done by one of us. If he was asking for pinned or blocked magazines, that's different, but he clearly wasn't.

The large capacity magazine permit only allows exceptions to be made for FFL's who are selling standard capacity magazines to Law Enforcement, government agencies or the military or for people who have standard capacity magazines already in their possession for repair. It doesn't help this guy. Read the laws man. It's a great way to get someone in trouble because you think you know something you don't. I'll say it again, what he is asking for is illegal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What he was asking for was someone to send magazines to a FFL or block them and send them to FFL that will block them for him. So, the 2 vendors I mentioned do send legally blocked magazines into Ca. They may not carry the magazines he wants but he can certainly ask them if they will order them and block them for him. He can also find a FFL that has a large magazine permit and see if they will help with blocking a large capacity magazine into a 10rd magazine. This is all legal and I do read the laws and it is you who is giving the wrong advice.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
What he was asking for was someone to send magazines to a FFL illegal or block them if someone sent him blocked mags, it wouldn't have to go through an FFL and send them to FFL that will block them for him illegal. So, the 2 vendors I mentioned do send legally blocked magazines into Ca. that's not what he asked for They may not carry the magazines he wants but he can certainly ask them if they will order them and block them for him. By they, I assume you mean his ffl. false, only if he had magazines prior Jan 1 that were legal and in need of repair. New magazines are illegal for him because the importation of said magazine is only legal for the aforementioned groups unless those magazines came pinned which again, he wouldn't need an ffl forHe can also find a FFL that has a large magazine permit and see if they will help with blocking a large capacity magazine into a 10rd magazine. illegal see above penal code and ffl permit This is all legal false and I do read the laws and it is you who is giving the wrong advice. apparently you don't, I've handed the laws to you and I am still right, I know it hurts but just admit it and be done with it
I fixed it for you. Give up already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is you who is mis-interpreting the laws to prove your own false argument. If the op found someone to block the magazines and that person has a LCM permit that person can permanently block the magazine to 10 rounds and sell it to him. Alternatively, instead of having an unblocked magazine sent here to be blocked, he can buy the magazine already blocked. There are numerous Ca gun stores that sell online and sell 10/30 pages which are 30 rd magazines permanently blocked to 10 rds like Solar Tactical and Riflegear. So, I guess according to you they are breaking the law and should be busted any day now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed, I'm not asking for a private party to sell me their "standard capacity" magazines. I am aware that "rebuild kits" are now illegal. That being said, I need some 10 rounders obviously. I have located a licensed dealer, how can legally accept them, and convert them to legal magazines PRIOR to selling to me. I'm not asking anyone to break the law. I'm just asking if anyone is familiar with a vendor that is knowledgable enough about California laws, that can work with me. Seems like the big companies are just taking the safe legal route and just don't deal with ca at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts