Springfield XD Forum banner

California - PG&E begins to cut power for up to 800,000 customers

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Acheron2010 
#1 ·
PG&E said it anticipates the severe weather to last through midday Thursday, with peak winds forecast from Wednesday morning through Thursday morning and reaching 60 to 70 miles an hour at higher elevations.

The company has said the shut-offs could last for a number of days and would cover parts of 34 of California’s 58 counties, a huge swath of the nation’s most populous state.

PG&E Starts to Cut Power for Nearly 800,000 California Customers on Wildfire Risk

#3 ·
As a former employee of that once-great company, I am sad and embarrassed that it comes to this. Rather than working with the state and customers to bury utilities, make their homes and communities fire resistant, and managing their own tree-trimming contracts, they have to cut power strictly for the purpose of avoiding liability. Does FP&L cut power when hurricane warnings come? Does PSOK cut power to Oklahoma City for tornado warnings?
Just absolutely ridiculous.
NFPA - Firewise USA®

#8 ·
All those little portable gensets will be adding lots of hydrocarbons to the air.
Nothing better then watching the lettuce head state trip over its own stupidity.

Elect enough liberal buffoons and get lots of buffoonery benefits with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Nothing new. Be prepared (in advance). Some snippets:

The mayhem broke out before the lights were even cut. Peter Nelson, one of the owners of the Savage Henry Comedy Club, walked into Costco on Tuesday afternoon for what he thought would be a normal shopping trip to stock up on snacks for a festival he was hosting this week. “As I stepped through the door, some guy shoved me, like really hard,” Mr. Nelson, 30 years old, said. “As I went to look at who shoved me, I realized it was just mayhem. Everyone was shoving everyone.”

In Garberville, in the far south of Humboldt County, shoppers continued visiting Rays Food Place grocery store after sunset, even though the lights were out. They were let in four at a time to prevent looting, and had to use flashlights to navigate the store and pay with cash, said Steven Cohn, an employee.

Cami Kane, a 39-year-old manicurist whose salon stayed closed Wednesday, spent most of the day trying to get her two generators up and running at her home in McKinleyville, north of Eureka. She didn’t succeed, and by sunset, the house was getting cold as the outdoor temperature dropped into the 40s. She took her 2-year-old son, Hunter, out to get food at Toni’s, one of the local restaurants running on a generator. She found the place mobbed; the wait for a cheeseburger was 90 minutes.

Looting, Gas Lines and a Packed Comedy Club: 24 Hours in Blacked-Out Rural California

#12 ·
PG&E Corp. ’s chief executive said Friday that it could take as long as 10 years for the company to improve its electric system enough to significantly diminish the need to pull the plug on customers to reduce the risk of sparking fires.

PG&E CEO Says It Could Impose Blackouts in California for a Decade
So sad. Could take one year and an army of tree trimmers to cut the 25 foot clearance on every electrical right of way.
The slight difference is...you go to cut a tree in Monterey or Carmel, you need a court order and an environmental study. You go to cut a tree in Tennessee, the homeowners hand you sweet tea and ask if you need gas for those chain saws.

#15 ·
WSJ alert:

PG&E Warns of Potential Second Planned California Blackout

Californians are facing a potential second round of pre-emptive power outages, with the state’s largest utility working to prevent its equipment from sparking wildfires as hot, gusty winds are forecast later this week.

PG&E said it might cut electricity to parts of 16 counties in the Sierra Foothills and north of San Francisco. About 200,000 households and businesses were notified that they might lose power starting late Wednesday, the bankrupt utility said.

#16 ·
I was watching weather alerts in the midwest with tornadoes touching down - don't see those utility companies cutting power. FP&L does not cut the power during Florida hurricanes.
Wonder if the California water companies will stop water flow during a freeze warning...and those sewage treatment plants! Better stop flushing, just don't poop during blackouts. Crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.