Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a compact pistol. I already have a taurus 24/7 and xd in 9mm. do I stick with a nine or get a 40 or 45?? I know a few people who prefer the 45 recoil over a 40 and recoil isn't an issue with a nine. I am looking for a compact for if/when i go cc route. opinions please.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Personally I like the XD40SC, but if you already have a 9mm I might consider the XD9SC as it will accept the mags from a Service or Tactical. Get whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford to practice with. 9's cheapest, .40, then .45. If you can't practice with it, you might be worse off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I am trying to decide if I want a large caliber or sticking with a 9mm for convenience sake. I know a lot of people think 9mm is not enough for pp. If I went with .45 then it would be easier to rationalize a 1911 down the road!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I think with todays modern hollow points caliber isnt such an issue. However, I truly love a .45acp and that is what I have. I plan to add a XD40 later on in the sub compact flavor.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It kinda depends on if you want to have some variety or not. The cheapest way to go would obviously be to stick with 9mm. If you use a modern quality jhp it will do fine for self defense, and will keep you from having to buy multiple calibers. Unless of course you want to buy multiple calibers, nothing wrong with that, variety is the spice of life!

Both the xd 40 sc and the xd 45 c are excellent cc pistols. And both 45 and 40 ammo are pretty close in price. Most people agree that the 40 does have slightly more "snap" to the recoil, but its hardly unmanagable. One thing to consider about the 45 is that it will be heavier to carry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what's your ammo budget? I saw the price of 1000 rounds of 9mm vs the .40 I just bought and am feeling some buyers remorse. I'm afraid if people continue to freak out and buy ammo at the current rate, that's not gonna change any time soon.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i say get the 40. its an awesome self defense round! there is obviously a reason why lots of cops have adopted it

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
9mm
But I don't like the 40cal in any pistol.
Too snappy and too much muzzle flip, but that is just my opinion.:rolleyes:
9mm = cheaper.....
The cheaper the ammo, the more you're gonna shoot...;)

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
i say get the 40. its an awesome self defense round! there is obviously a reason why lots of cops have adopted it
Cost, size, politics. GLOCK all but gives away their pistols to police departments. Do you think that the South Carolina Highway Patrol uses .45GAP now because it's an awesome self defense round. Probably not most likely GLOCK cut a hell of a deal to move a bunch of pistols for a round that is quickly heading to niche status at best complete death at worse.

What police departments use most of the time isn't necessarily what is best but what is considered the best by the bean counters.

Handgun calibers are like flavors of ice cream. Pick the one you like best because in the end they all wind up in pretty much the same spot:mrgreen: There is practically no performance difference between the major carry calibers when you really get down to it.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
My vote is for the .40 as well....I have a .40 service that I carry and I love my pistol wouldn't trade it for any other.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I am looking to get a compact pistol. I already have a taurus 24/7 and xd in 9mm. do I stick with a nine or get a 40 or 45?? I know a few people who prefer the 45 recoil over a 40 and recoil isn't an issue with a nine. I am looking for a compact for if/when i go cc route. opinions please.
Think of guns as women. If you're going to have more than one, do you want them all to look and act the same? Hell no, you don't want 4 blondes. You want a blonde, a redhead, a brunette, and a black haired mysterious gal with a large chest.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My vote would be for the .40 cal. I think it makes a good personal protection round. I have the XD-40 service and really like it and the round.

I also have a .45 acp. The 40 is used the most.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Think of guns as women. If you're going to have more than one, do you want them all to look and act the same? Hell no, you don't want 4 blondes. You want a blonde, a redhead, a brunette, and a black haired mysterious gal with a large chest.
Eep. That would make one of mine an old Russian woman. :shock:

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you already have a 9mm I would go with the 9 just easier to carry one caliber of ammo IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts