Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a long standing debate and I have searched the threads and the net, however, most that I can find is old. I have decided on my rifle, now I just have to decide on caliber. As background, I almost exclusively bow hunt but this year I am going to be taking my six year old daughter along with me. I don't think she is quite ready to climb a tree or sit as still and quiet as bow hunting requires. Therefore I am going to take her rifle hunting and I need a bolt action rifle (not for her, she will get a rifle when she is a little older if she enjoys it). I just ordered the scope, now need the rifle for it to sit on. Trying to decide between a .270 and 30-06. When I have rifle hunted in the past, I have used a 30-06 of my dads. All it will be used for is deer, I don't really need a rifle for a hunt I may take in 20 years. Opinions between the two (or one you would recommend).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got at 30-30 model 94, top eject. I want a scoped rifle for the stands I will be hunting out of with my daughter. That's two for the .308. How does its range and accuracy compare to the 30-06 and 270?

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I have taken deer with both the .06 and the .270. The .270 is just a necked down 30.06. I do think that you have a wider variety of ammo selection in the .06, but has been a long time since I have really looked into it, but is just what ever your preference is, they both get the "job" done.

The next rifle large caliber I purchase will be a 7.62X56 NATO, they will also shoot the .308 round. "They" say you can not go the other direction.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I think 30-06 is a hair too much for white tail. I like a 270 shooting 130 grain, especially since you sound like you are planning for a long shot. It is a very flat shooting round.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I always thought "they" said the opposite
Groo-- I STAND CORRECTED. 7.62x56 will chamber into the .308 correct and safe. But not the opposite direction. It was the 5.56 to .223 conversion I was considering.

Thanks! We don't want erroneous info. going out anywhere!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
.270 is a great choice for whitetail. whats your budget range? good economy rifles are the marlin x7, savage makes a few (the axis is the newer model), and also for a little bit more you can go with the always great remmington 700. all of these also come in 30-06 and 308 as well

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I have decided on the Marlin XL/XS 7. I just bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 to put on top of it. Just have to decide on the caliber.
Sounds like a more than adequate setup.

I think 270win, 308, 243 are all good choices. The 270 might be the easiest of those to find in that family of guns.
They will all do the job. 30-06, like I said earlier is "just a touch too much", but not drastically so. 308 and 270 should be plenty for Elk and Black bear too. If you think you might ever go moose or brown bear hunting with it, get the 30-06

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
.308 is the way to go if you ask me. They are good to 800m, a lot of the newer guns out there are hitting sub MOA with this round. I'm buying ammo at about 12 a box for plinking and you can get MATCH ammo for under 30 a box. It is truely an amazing cal. Good luck my friend.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
.308 is the way to go if you ask me. They are good to 800m, a lot of the newer guns out there are hitting sub MOA with this round. I'm buying ammo at about 12 a box for plinking and you can get MATCH ammo for under 30 a box. It is truely an amazing cal. Good luck my friend.
Whitetail deer at 800 meters?

Between the 30.06 and 270, for white tail deer I would go with the .270. JMO

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
.308 is a short action and the .270 is a long action. The .308 is a dandy deer round but so is the .270. Its a toss up and personal preferance for you at this point but I prefer a short action if I wasn't shooting larger calibers.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Whitetail deer at 800 meters?

Between the 30.06 and 270, for white tail deer I would go with the .270. JMO
No, I only meant distance for a shot. Not for a take down. I wouldn't trust taking a deer at that distance with a 308. But yeah, I say it could be done. Just not a daily feet and possibly not humane.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The OP's question.

Trying to decide between a .270 and 30-06.All it will be used for is deer, I don't really need a rifle for a hunt I may take in 20 years. Opinions between the two (or one you would recommend).

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Get the .270, the best all around deer gun available. The 30-06 kicks a lot more and has no advantage over the .270 for taking deer. If you are a reloader I have a recipe for a 270 "drop-em-in-their tracks" reload.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
.270 if you are only going to choose between the .270 and 06. .270's seem to be flatter shooting from what I can tell.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.