Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me first say Hi, I have been reading and learning now for about 3 weeks since I purchased my XD-9 service model. This is my first hand gun, I looked at Glock's, and Sigs. The deciding factor was it seemed to have all the best features from other top manufacturers all wraped in one.

Anyway, my question is do you guys think the .357sig XD is not as popular as the .40 and 9mm. It seems like after reading lots of signatures on here that not many people have them. Now I found a ballistics chart that another member made and the .357sig has some nice numbers (these are the highest for each model)

.357sig 1500fps, 575lbft

9mm 1200fps, 368lbft

9mm +p 1350fps, 466lbft

.40 1325fps, 526lbft

.45acp 1050fps, 453lbft

.45acp +p 1250, 573lbft

So why don't you hear more about the 357sig? Now I'm new to this so this is coming from a numbers stand point not actuall shooting. I know the .45acp is monster shell but the numbers are not that great for all the hype that it's generating, what gives???

Enough questions for now.

Oh yeah, one of my buddy's bought an OD green XD-9 service after trying out mine. Exceptional guns!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
.357 is a very popular cal. overseas, in the states not much...
I personally like the 9mm, you get more rounds in the mags (16+1).
If this is your first gun, I would get the 9mm... have descent recoil and the ammo is ver cheap in comparison to the 40, 45, or .357

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 9mm and like it a lot. I just didn't hear much about the .357, about how much does a box of 50rounds cost for the .357sig?

·
Registered
782 Posts
brian40 said:
Ammo availability & cost is the 357's downfall.
Yup, it's a good round, nothing wrong with it. Just harder to find and more expensive than others (especially 9mm).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, what all the hype about the .45acp for, yes it's a big hunk-a-lead, but the ballistics are not that great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bmod4 said:
Ok, what all the hype about the .45acp for, yes it's a big hunk-a-lead, but the ballistics are not that great.
Standard 45ACP isn't much...but that is because it is loaded to lower pressures for all the very old guns still out there. For target shooting with FMJ rounds it works well.

Most people that are worried about stopping power will use the +P stuff with lower grain hollow points which have quite a bit more velocity than the regular stuff.

If you really want hot stuff look into 45 Super. It is the same external dimensions as 45acp but has thicker walls and is loaded to much higher pressures. Guns will need at the least a stronger recoil spring to use this ammo.

I like 45acp...but I have short and thick fingers so it makes gripping any double stack mag in 45 a problem. I will stick to my 45 1911 and for my XD I will be picking up a 40sw after my 10days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts