Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a CAI Polish AKMS, which I had the opportunity to inspect (Everything was tight, no canted sights/gas block, bore was superb, etc.) And I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if there is anything I should do with it before I shoot it.

I was also wondering if Monarch 7.62x39mm made by Barnaul would function well in this rifle, as I've heard some horror stories about steel-cased ammo, but this is the cheapest I can find that is non-corrosive ($4 for a box of 20 rounds at Academy, cases on sale for $100 for 500 rounds).

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
It should eat anything you put in it. Steel cased ammo is not bad for any gun. That's hear say and rumors.

Just clean and lube it up before you take it out. Especially if it has cosmoline all over it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Barnaul SHOULD work in any AK.

That is the beauty of the AK platform...not nearly as ammo-picky as the AR-15.

I would not own an AK that had "issues" with any ammo...period. Its just not the AK way! LOL

Barnaul is great ammo for AKs and SKSs, if you ask me.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
Eastern-bloc guns aren't just tolerant of steel-cased ammo, they're designed for it. A +1 on eating anything you put into it, especially steel-cased.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Would you recommend grease or oil?
Well if you wanna get real SHTF with it. You could use dirty motor oil and a shoe string tied in knots to run through the barrel and it will be good to go.

:D

You can use whatever you want basically.

You could use Mobil 1 if you wanna go cheap as hell, EWL 2000, Shooters choice gun grease, wheel bearing grease or Remoil and the list goes on.

I usually use EWL 2000 on all my guns but I would not hesitate to use a little Mobil 1 either.

All it needs is a light coat on the rails for the bolt carrier and maybe a little on the actual bolt carrier where the bolt moves and twists. That's it.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Well if you wanna get real SHTF with it. You could use dirty motor oil and a shoe string tied in knots to run through the barrel and it will be good to go.

:D

You can use whatever you want basically.

You could use Mobil 1 if you wanna go cheap as hell, EWL 2000, Shooters choice gun grease, wheel bearing grease or Remoil and the list goes on.

I usually use EWL 2000 on all my guns but I would not hesitate to use a little Mobil 1 either.

All it needs is a light coat on the rails for the bolt carrier and maybe a little on the actual bolt carrier where the bolt moves and twists. That's it.
Never use any used motor oil. It contains lots of carbon (and other nasties) that can penetrate the weapon if you get it smoking hot and react with the chemicals in the powder. If you must use it, get it warm and filter it through some toilet paper...then put the rest in the lawn mower.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never use any used motor oil. It contains lots of carbon (and other nasties) that can penetrate the weapon if you get it smoking hot and react with the chemicals in the powder. If you must use it, get it warm and filter it through some toilet paper...then put the rest in the lawn mower.....
Hahaha exactly. I didn't plan on it. I know enough basic chemistry to know that the aerobic corrosion caused by the reaction between the carbon and compounds in the gas/powder is fairly nasty. But thank you for the pointer!

Thanks to everyone who contributed! I'll be sure to put pictures up when I get her in.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I was joking Einheit. Hahaha! Good tip though man. :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Guess this thread answered your earlier one where you were wondering what to get next! :)
Yep.

For my AKs, all I shoot is steel cased ammo. I just don't see the economics of buying brass-cased 7.62x39 for 4x the cost of a nice Brown/Black/Blue/Gold Bear ammo.

I put a bit of oil on the contact points but not much - mostly in the areas where there's sliding contact on metals (rails, bolt, hammer). I wipe a little bit of oil on other areas primarily for corrosion protection. I put a little oil on a patch and put some inside the barrel - again, for corrosion protection. I put some on the muzzle threads and helps removal later on after a fun day.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I go with steel, too. Just so much cheaper. One time only Sportmansguide had brass cased 7.62 for about 7.5$ per 20 and I snatched some up, but aside of that it's just not economical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts