Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I am not from california and own a safe, what do you guys do with all your cable locks?

Every gun I purchase comes with a cable lock, and i have no clue what to use them for.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
i started using mine to lock my guns down in my cars...(if i'm in an area i cant cc). wrap it around the seat rail.. then thought the slide.. and put the mag in my pocket..

·
Registered
298 Posts
To lock up the guns when I put them in the safe. Guns are then inaccessible and inoperable to unauthorized persons.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To lock up the guns when I put them in the safe. Guns are then inaccessible and inoperable to unauthorized persons.
With a fingerprint safe thats a non issue for me. If they can get into the safe, I'm sure they can crack a $2 lock.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
i started using mine to lock my guns down in my cars...(if i'm in an area i cant cc). wrap it around the seat rail.. then thought the slide.. and put the mag in my pocket..
+1. You can get them for free from most PD's. I have one in my truck, one in wife's car and another I bring on vacation. Just get a carabiner to clip the key to it, and when it's in use clip the key to your belt loop.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Those locks are about useless.

You can break them open with a regular old pair of pliers.

Don't try cutting them, just bend them over tight and pinch them in the pliers. You break the outer coil, then flex it back and forth a few times to break the inner cable.

I wouldn't trust them to keep a gun safe in my car.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I never thought about putting one in the car but I hate to unload and reload a gun all the time, causes extra hazards, possible bullet setback.

I just leave them in the boxes.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah I'm not so worried about cracking. No criminal who breaks into my house is going to bring a ballistics gelatin copy of my thumbprint. If they really want what's in it that bad, I'm sure there are other ways to get the goods out.
I hear ya. I feel sorry for the perp that tries my house. All they will hear is the action on my shotty and "wrong house asshole". I hope they have good medical insurance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
for you guys securing your sidearm in the vehicle during those "times" , my cc instructor suggested good 'ol handcuffs for that job...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts