Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been covered previously but did not find it searching so thought it would be worth mentioning. This coming Tuesday I'll be joining the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). It's an 8 week course that is offered free of charge to any citizen willing to help out their community in a natural disaster or terrorist attack. At the end of the course you become "certified" to help out the police and fire department. Training includes search & rescue, first aid, fire prevention, etc. This course was first developed by the LAFD after their big earthquake several years ago and is now offered by thousands of cities across the country... and did I mention it's free? After graduation, you then continue your training with the police and fire professionals in your community when they have mock disaster drills. I'm a firm believer you can never be too prepared and we all know not all of our neighbors will know what to do, so why not take the course? If you are interested in taking classes in your area, check out their website @ CERT : Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) where they have a search bar for your city.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
CERT is a good program. Pretty basic but gets you on the inside of the Emergency Management thing all communities are going to. Can open the door to other kinds of training as well. I was an instructor for a couple years before I retired.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Depends on the area you are in and what your current skill levels are. The one in my area covered a lot of stuff I already knew from the military and made it clear you are rarely used and when you are it is just to go get water for the real heroes. Most the people in the class were odd folks that were wanna-be cops and firefighters. That was just my CERT program, I would definitely recommend you go and check it out. I have heard of a lot of areas with truly great programs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts