Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From browsing on the internet, I've seen some interesting stuff, both Pro and Con, regarding Paul Castle's (RIP, Paul) Center Axis Relock system (C.A.R.).

I've seen several YouTube videos, and his method does appear to have some merit.

So, I tried it out myself this past weekend. You don't learn if you don't try, huh?

I only used 220 rounds for this little "test".

Admittedly, I wasn't really impressed with my first 50 rounds. I was getting better, though, so I kept trying.

The LAST 20 rounds were amazingly accurate. (then I ran out of ammo)

I was impressed with how much I'd improved, with only "internet training" to go on.

Has anyone else tried this? Is there someone that teaches this in NC?

Thanks,

Duane

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
Sometimes, I have a problem with stuff like this. What is the "norm" is usually best for the most. At some point, some one comes along with an alternative, claiming it beats everything. Well... maybe. I might be good for this or that... no different than martial arts, or boxing.... "all fights end up on the ground"... ya until there is more than one... then that is the last place you want to be. Most fighting systems come around to take advantage of some sort of mis match.... tall against short... mounted or foot, arnmed or empty hand...

So... CAR.... it looks pretty interesting. One thing off the bat is thats great to be able to engage so many threats at any postion.... but I'm not on Seal Team 6. About the only thing I didn't like is how both hands/arms out in front of you is not natural.... what? It's one of the most instinctual stances we have. But that's nit picky....

It actually looks like it has merit for every day guys, if it was not marketed as such to being an "operator". I can appreciate the mechanics. I think what seems best is for a close encounter... al la George Zimmerman style. It is very possible for very close encounters. And that is where I think it has the most practicality. In a car as well like I saw demonstrated. I know I am not answering anything you asked... just yappin'.... are my opinions unfounded? Maybe it was just the particular videos I watched.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Powerman,

Thank you for the reply. :)

I'm just yappin' myself. :cool:

It's amazing to me that so many people who have not even tried this method put it down so hard. And they haven't even TRIED it.

No, it sure as heck would not be the answer to every CQ situation, but it'd sure be a handy tool to have in the toolbox.

Like I said in my OP, it looks "interesting".

My limited "test" convinced me that it was worth looking into further.

And that's what I'm planning to do.

Thanks,

Duane

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I'm in Tennessee, and my CCW instructor teaches C.A.R. as part of his Level 1 class, the defense class after the basic CCW.

I was totally impressed with this method in reducing recoil and weak hand shooting.
We shot about 200 rounds, from 5 to 25 feet. Had no problem grouping rounds within 3 inches either body or head, all rapid fire with either hand,

Not a one-size-fits-all, but for amateur civilian self-defense, it definitely does the job.

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
Powerman,

Thank you for the reply. :)

I'm just yappin' myself. :cool:

It's amazing to me that so many people who have not even tried this method put it down so hard. And they haven't even TRIED it.

No, it sure as heck would not be the answer to every CQ situation, but it'd sure be a handy tool to have in the toolbox.

Like I said in my OP, it looks "interesting".

My limited "test" convinced me that it was worth looking into further.

And that's what I'm planning to do.

Thanks,

Duane
It's all good. I don't care for isosolese. And just like other things, some say law enforcement are trained not to blade because the vest. It feels unnatural for me. I also don't care for locked arms and rolled over wrists. Even though I'm sure it's great for speed shooting. So I do modified isosolese.... And there are parts of this I find interesting too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Okay, I know the original post is 4 months old but I want to add some observations here as it may help those who have not been properly trained on the CAR platform. My apologies for such a long post.

Background: I was active duty military instructor for 7 years teaching M16A1 rifle and M1911 45 cal pistol marksmanship classes. I taught both modified Weaver and isosceles stances for pistol. Standard training. A local firearms school here was personally trained by Paul Castle a few years before he passed away to teach his system to civilians. Currently I have received 32 hours of CAR training by this school so I think I can give a fair comparison between these shooting platforms.

When surprised or startled, everyone’s body will perform an involuntary action automatically. It’s called a flinch. Fighting coach Tony Blauer calls it the startle-flinch response. This is when your hands and arms come up in front of you quickly to protect yourself and you blade your body slightly away from danger. Hands up near your face is a natural position for defense.

Shooting from this position offer a few benefits - noticeably less felt recoil; greater recoil and overall weapon control during firing; provides a clear focus on the front sight post do to specific positioning of your head relative to your hands; completely ambidextrous (no more ‘strong’ hand and ‘weak’ hand as you learn how easy it is to transition hands and continue shooting accurately; better weapons retention (weapon isn’t floating out in front of you); allows you to shoot accurately 360 degrees without moving your feet or spinning your body around; the best method for shooting while seated inside a vehicle; best method for close quarters situations like clearing the interior of a building/house; and I can list a few more but this post is getting too long.

Instead of watching YouTube and trying to teach yourself this platform, I highly recommend all shooting enthusiasts locate a school authorized to teach the CAR system and take a class. Here in southern California, Civilian Arms Training Source is offering the CAR level 1 class for $80 (if you purchase a $40 voucher from them at a gun show), that’s half off the regular class fee. Check it out first hand yourself and then tell us what you think of it.
Joe-

Reactions: Acheron2010

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think with everything else, it's a tool in a tool box and its use is garnered by how much experience you have using the tool, (practice or otherwise) and what situation you find yourself in. (do you need a saw or a hammer?) I personally think it's got great points and I hope to get some hands on training with it one day.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts