Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically I'm going to be going and purchasing a handgun tomorrow. I'm just not 100% sure what I want.

I'm really leaning toward the Springfield XDm 3.8" 9mm but I've always loved the Beretta M9/92 and the Px4 isn't terrible either.

I'm a first time buyer and have never shot any of these weapons I had listed only handgun I've fired is a Walther P22.

What suggestions may you guys have? I'm just really having trouble picking one I guess. My price limit is $700 so yeah, I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can't speak from experience but I have 2 friends that are Marines, one was an MP, the other served in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom, both told me to steer clear of 9mm due to how much they hated the Beretta in the military. Both of them have since shot my Xdm 9mm and have told me how awesome it shoots and how much better it is. My suggestion to you however is try to find a range where you can test out as many of the weapons you are contemplating purchasing as you can so you can make your own educated decision. If you simply ask here you will get many opinions and none of them may be right for you.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Beretta is rock solid and accurate, but you will need a lot of practice for the first Double action trigger pull of the traditional DA/SA trigger pull. It is smooth, but is heavy and long...at least compared to your Walther & the XDM.
I would buy the XDM first if I were you unless you have time for lots of practice (yeah, yeah, all firearms need lots of practice, but still).
Both are large which needs creativity to conceal carry if you are wanting to do that?

Can't go wrong with either though.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Look also at some cz-75, M&P pistols, and FNPs as these cam be had for under $700. I have a beretta Elite IA and love it, even though I only have had it for 3days. As with all pistol you got to practice practice practice with it. Some people maybe natural shooters others are not. Handle them and if possible shoot them

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
So basically I'm going to be going and purchasing a handgun tomorrow. I'm just not 100% sure what I want.
If you are not 100% sure then I suggest you hold off until you have a better idea. As suggested, the best bet is to go rent and shoot each of them. The next best would be to go fondle them and keep reading and talking to people until you are sure. They are all good and accurate guns but will feel and shoot completely different in the hand.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If at all possible, shoot them before you buy one. If not, take some of your gun shop's time and handle all your choices a LOT! Practice gripping and aiming. Dry fire if the shop will let you. If this is going to be your carry weapon, then:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

·
Premium Member
128,276 Posts
All the advice given above is excellent. The only thing I would add is consideration for how this gun will be used. For example, I have three XDs. One for concealed carry (XD9SC); home defense (XD45 Service); and competition (XD9 Tactical). Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with a Beretta M9A1 - the shop had an M9 that started the serial with M9 and that one was really, really itching at me, but I wanted the Rail Integrated System on the M9A1 for a tact-light. I ran about 120 rounds through it today and it was smooth as butter...accurate to the t...I was shooting 1" groups at 21 feet. I am completely satisfied and loving the M9A1.

Field stripping it and cleaning was a breeze, took 5 minutes if that.

I can understand why the M9 is the standard US Military sidearm - reliable, accurate, no recoil, easy breakdown and clean, just perfect.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
The recoil of the Beretta feel less than the XD. It is a heavier gun and a 5 inch barrel so the muzzle flip will be slightly less. Note the word HEAVY. It is a large grip gun so if your hands are on the smaller size, it may not be comfortable. I don't like having the controls on the slide, to easy to put the gun in safe mode while doing a malfunction drill.

I would agree with CotySinz, get the M9A1 to get a rail. I couldn't, not legal in California. I also believe the gun is more subject to limp wrist than an XD. At least it is for my wife, and that's bad, the 92FS we have is hers.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Stay away from the PX4. The rest, see what fits you the best.
bizzzzzzzz, wrong answer!

I love my px4 compact (not sub-compact). It is a smooth shooter and is the most accurate pistol I have owned since I sold my springfield 1911A1. What more could you want from a pistol? 17 round mag in the full size 15 in the compact and 13 in the subcompact.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!! Take it back! I'm military and have trained a lot with the Beretta M9... easy to malfunction, hard to handle compared to others, and just not a good gun for the long haul. It will work well in spurts, but you'll see if you have to keep it.

XDM and Glock are awesome. You can also get thousands of others that won't be as bad as my personal experience with the M9. But... if you decide to keep it, I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Have a TLR-1 CREE on my railed Vertec, excellent way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts